Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #15

Look for a Lazy Daze 22-24ft. ( they are the same, except for truck cabs, depending on year and truck)

They are roomy for their size with big windows, lots of light and very well made.

We got an older one, 1991, for $8,000 that has miles but is in near perfect condition.

Your budget leaves you a lot of opportunity to find a newer one.

-Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #16

Wink

With your budget you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a great 21-23ft class-C. I had an older 23 footer with a Chevy 350 and it ran like a top and got 9-10 mpg. It was an 86 and the guy who has it now says the engine is still running strong with over 98,000. My brother has the Ford 460 in his 94 Tioga and it's a 28 footer on the E-350 Chassis and it runs very strong.
The Ford V-10 should also run 90-100,000 without any major maintenance if the oil was changed regularly and paired with the E 350, is a lot of engine and chassis for a 21-23 footer.

Remember that an older unit you might have to account for new brakes and fluid flushes (Trans, brakes, and coolant).

Keep lookin', it's out there!

Pete

Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #17

CAN ANYONE ADD TO THIS LIST OF WEBSITES I SHOULD BE CHECKING DAILY?

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP FROM ALL OF YOU.

RVs For Sale on RVT.comŽ - New and Used Travel Trailer, Motorhome, Camper. Free online RV Classifieds for the buyer, seller, trader.

RVs For Sale On RV Trader- New and Used Fleetwood,Airstream,Winnebago,Keystone,Forest River,Newmar RVs and More-RVTrader.com
Old 01-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #18

I've read mostly bad reviews about renting from Cruise America. Should I steer clear of considering a purchase of Four Winds?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #19

If I did find a decent Four Winds, It would have to be purchased from an original/private owner. Right?

2000 Four Winds Chateau Sport, St Helena CA - 111415887 - RVTrader.com
Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #20

I found my Lazy Daze on Craig's list. Took a couple months of looking though. But I ended up with a good one.

I rented from Cruise America and they were fine. They use stripped down models though so if you buy a used one it will be very basic.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #21

Thanks Bill - When I drove cross country recently, I noticed many Cruise America RV's on the road and I really like that simple/basic look. I was disappointed when I read so many bad reviews about the rental company, but I'll continue to keep my eyes open.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 AM   #22

I think the brand Cruise America uses is Four Winds Majestic.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #23

I believe the Four Winds Majestic was manufactured specifically for the RV rental market. Therefore it is very basic.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #24

I like simple and basic. Are the Four Winds Majestic made only for rental companies?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #25

This is what I noticed on our rentals...

No rear bumper, no porch light, no awning, no TV or radio speakers or any sort of entertainment. No pull out step under the entry door. No ladder to the upper bunk - you had to step on the dinette to get up there.

Very basic curtains, the mattress and upper bunk cushions were plastic covered instead of fabric upholstery. The seat next to the entry door was a box with a cushion instead of a chair.

The truck cab had rubber floor mats instead of carpet. No CB radio, of course.

But they had generators.

I think that the used price on an ex-rental Majestic would be no less than the used price for a well-cared for retail motorhome. And if you added up the cost to put all those things (that typically come on retail coaches) it would make quite a difference.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #26

Very, very helpful information. Really appreciate your input. Thank you so much, Bill!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #27

Should I suspect any major problems with vehicles like this one?

1995 Fleetwood Tioga 21c 25k Miles Garage Kept, Murrieta CA - 111500657 - RVTrader.com
Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #28

You will need to get a thorough inspection. The price seems a touch high for a 1995 but it looks very well kept.