Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Seeking guidance-first time buyer

Greetings!

I have decided to take the plunge and buy my own home on the road so that I can pursue my dream as a videographer of socially conscious films. I want to purchase a used Class C with low mileage. I am hoping that I will find the guidance and support here so that I can make my ideal purchase from an honest seller.

Thanks!
Joanne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Welcome. Be careful with low mileage if the rig is old some times sitting for years and years can be a bad thing. As a mechanic I say the same rules apply as a used car, newest and lowest mileage you can afford. Also don't worry about chassis (Ford vrs Chevy) they are about equal, I would lean toward the Ford v10 engine but that is personal preference. If you have a few rigs in mind post them here, there are a LOT of nice and knowledgeable folks here that ill help you make an educated decision.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Thank You So Much!
I will be sure to post any and all RV considerations and questions here.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest renting one for a week or more to find out what you like and don't like with the layout, etc.

I think you are smart buying a used one rather than a new one.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on renting

Read a lot on this forum. A lot of discussions will be relevant.

Then looks at a few floor plans. Then renting may change your mind
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

Look on IRV2 classifieds. I have one there for sale.

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

Whatever you decide to buy, get a PDI by a reputable RV shop before purchasing.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Hello Everyone,

I stopped by Bill Eads RV's in Rocklin, CA two weeks ago to look around and get familiar with the different Class C models. I left my name and number and asked him to contact me when an RV came in that had the range of things I was looking for. I just got this email below from him this morning. I will stop by tomorrow. What do you guys and gals think?: Sacramento Bill Eads Rv's | Used RVS

Thanks so much for all your input. I really appreciate it!
Joanne

Hi Joanne,
You had asked me to send you a note if I got an rv in that looked like something you would be interested in. Well it is here! A very clean but older Tioga that has a Queen bed and plenty of storage space for your equipment. Hope you will drop by our Rocklin Ca store and check it out.
It is only $16,995 and has lot’s of miles and adventures left in her!

Your’s
Billy Masters
B.E.RV
Old 12-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks pretty clean, can't tell if the bed is a walk around but it might be.

The best way to tell the age of the tires is to look at the DOT code that states the day they were built.

Don't know what to tell you about the price as I haven't shopped class C's for a long time. I think if I were you I'd offer $14,995 and see what happens.

Do they offer any warranty for 30 days or 3,000 miles, etc? I'd be careful if they offer to sell you a warranty, but that's a long story.

Let us know what you think after you look at it.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #10

Can anyone tell me what the shortest Class C RV length is?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #11

Shopping for a Class C

OP,

I believe that the shortest Class C they make is 19 FT.
Personally, I wouldn't want one shorter than 23 FT.

My suggestion is that you look for a good clean late model one from a private party. I believe you will get a much better value going that route.
You can check out the VIN and find out if the vehicle had any major repairs and a late model unit will have any factory build problems already corrected. Private parties are usually highly motivated to sell just to be done with it or they've moved on up.
IMHO, a dealer has to make more profit on a used unit than he does on a new unit. I figure he still has the same sales costs and he's responsible for any problems you discover on the unit for some short period of time after the sale.

Check your local area newspapers and Craigslist (just be careful). I understand many people have good luck with RVTrader.
Remember "you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a Princess".

Pete
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #12

Ideally, I would love to find an older couple who are selling. Chances are high that they take excellent care of their vehicles.

How many miles can I expect from a Class C RV? Thanks to all of you for helping me with this process.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

It depends on how old it is and how much the previous party used it.
My brother bought a 94 Tioga on a E 350 chassis just like the one you are looking at the dealer.
It's a nice unit with 54,000 on it and he paid half the price. He paid the dealer extra for an inspection and roof sealing and it leaked the following year. He had to take it to a different dealer to have it resealed.
IMHO, try to find a newer unit (2-7yrs) from a private party. Sometimes they still have an extended warranty on the unit. Remember, a new Class C sells for about $60,000 new +tax from a dealer with a 12 month warranty. A dealer doesn't mind making repairs on a new unit as he knows he will be reimbursed for parts and labor from the factory.
A 2010 -2012 should have new tires on it do to the recent Michelon recall.
Remember searching an buying are part of the learning process of becoming an RVer!

Happy Hunting!
Pete
Old 12-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacajawea View Post
Hello Everyone,

I stopped by Bill Eads RV's in Rocklin, CA two weeks ago to look around and get familiar with the different Class C models. I left my name and number and asked him to contact me when an RV came in that had the range of things I was looking for. I just got this email below from him this morning. I will stop by tomorrow. What do you guys and gals think?: Sacramento Bill Eads Rv's | Used RVS

Thanks so much for all your input. I really appreciate it!
Joanne

Hi Joanne,
You had asked me to send you a note if I got an rv in that looked like something you would be interested in. Well it is here! A very clean but older Tioga that has a Queen bed and plenty of storage space for your equipment. Hope you will drop by our Rocklin Ca store and check it out.
It is only $16,995 and has lotís of miles and adventures left in her!

Yourís
Billy Masters
B.E.RV
I went by to see the Tioga this morning. I have decided on a 21' - 23' Class C so it was too big for me. And is was worn and not at all cozy. Do any of you think I can find a clean, well maintained, low mileage (30 - 60,000) for $20,000 (cash)?