RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Selecting a Class C

Hey guys, I am back in the market after selling my Lance trailer. This time, I would like a Class C though...done with pulling a trailer. There are two I like and they are quite different from each other. I am currently slightly leaning towards the diesel though I understand the Mercedes chassis C is probably more complex and not as reliable. I can go used or new.

Navion/View is my top choice due to the range and torque ion the diesel in the Colorado mountains. I have a friend who has a 2008 and loves it. The Lazy has amazing windows/views and the gasser is easy to work on. I am currently still leaning towards the diesel View and prob because a friend has one and I have been in it several times.

Any thoughts or advice you all are willing to share? It will me my wife and me, and our new baby who will hopefully grow up appreciating nature and road trips. I want him to see the different national parks and the country. I also like going on mountain biking trips to Utah a lot. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have only owned my Lance 1575 and that is it. Thanks in advance!

Chandne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
Hey guys, I am back in the market after selling my Lance trailer. This time, I would like a Class C though...done with pulling a trailer. There are two I like and they are quite different from each other. I am currently slightly leaning towards the diesel though I understand the Mercedes chassis C is probably more complex and not as reliable. I can go used or new.

Navion/View is my top choice due to the range and torque ion the diesel in the Colorado mountains. I have a friend who has a 2008 and loves it. The Lazy has amazing windows/views and the gasser is easy to work on. I am currently still leaning towards the diesel View and prob because a friend has one and I have been in it several times.

Any thoughts or advice you all are willing to share? It will me my wife and me, and our new baby who will hopefully grow up appreciating nature and road trips. I want him to see the different national parks and the country. I also like going on mountain biking trips to Utah a lot. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have only owned my Lance 1575 and that is it. Thanks in advance!
These are just my opinions, based on over 10 years experience with all 3 classes of motorhome.
I have a 2018 Navion with 26,000 miles, and it's been bulletproof. Don't fear the Sprinter. It's a great ride, fuel economy is hard to beat, and it's quieter than the V10. No doghouse, either. I have owned both. I prefer the MB chassis. I drove it through the Glenwood Canyon (I-70) in 2018 September/October, and it had no problems with any of the grades. Up or down.
There are fewer MB Sprinter capable dealers across North America. That is a fact. However, if you live near a MB Sprinter dealer, you're all set for maintenance. The gassers might be easier to work on, but I didn't plan on doing my own maintenance. Some will say you can take them to any Ford dealer, that there are lots of them around, but that's not entirely true. Many Ford dealerships can't get the bigger class Cs (or As) into their service bays. I have yet to experience that with Mother Benz. I have done one oil change, with another one coming up in about 4,000 miles, and the difference in frequency (you'll do about 5 gasser oil changes to 1 diesel) does partially offset the higher cost (unless you DIY it) to do it on the diesel engine.
The most important part for many is the floorplan. Does the layout work for you? That's what many will tell you to choose before you even consider the type or make of cab chassis underneath.
That's about all I can say about it. The rest is up to you.
Good luck. Enjoy.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, winterbagoal! I have been thinking about this all week. Your feedback is very helpful. I guess I should stick with the Navion/View (I love all the floorpans) and need to decide between new and used.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #4

More opinion.
The newest 2020 versions of the View/Navion are undoubtedly the best, as they managed to include some of the optional equipment from prior years as standard now. The MB chassis is newer and they're using the fully loaded Sprinter cab chassis, with all the built in MB techno-goodies included. Safer and more integrated under one manufacturer's umbrella, rather than adding 3rd party stuff to do what the loaded MB chassis comes with from the MB factory.
I itemized the improvemnts (that I gleaned from the available model info on the Winnebagoind.com website) in a couple of posts in a topic called "2020 View". Unfirtunately, they also raised the price to pay for the new stabdard equipment, but that's another story.
Here's a link. Look for my "handle" on the posts - it's the same name on here.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74404

Finally: I was ready to trade my 2018 in on a 2020 Navion, until I discovered that Winnebago was going to make the cab over bunk non-deletable. We don't like the cab over look of the new View/Navion to the point where it was a show stopper. Our 2018 is a "low profile" without the cab over which was optional in 2018 when we ordered ours from new. If Winnebago ever gets over that decision, and makes the cab over optional/deletable, I'll reconsider.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #5

Thanks for this valuable information. I will look at the 2020s and I think 25%-27% off MSRP is doable. I don't mind the cabover bunk since it gives me an extra place to sleep. I'll take a look at your link now.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #6

By the way, I have a 2014 JKUR- slightly modified and 35s. It is, sadly, going to be a bit heavy to tow with the View. I had a 2012 JKR and now wish I had kept it so I could tow it.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
By the way, I have a 2014 JKUR- slightly modified and 35s. It is, sadly, going to be a bit heavy to tow with the View. I had a 2012 JKR and now wish I had kept it so I could tow it.
Check the GVWR and the GCWR numbers before you give up on that. If you can lighten the load in the View/Navion, you increase the amount of weight that you can pull with it. My JKU weighs around 4500lbs loaded for travel with 1/4 tank of gas. I can get the Navion's weight down to around 10,600lbs ready to travel. Total travel weight is 15,100lbs, which is 150lbs under GCWR, and the JKU is still below the 5,000lb hitch rating. It can be done.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:33 PM   #8

As said previously, the floor plan is probably the most important thing, you can put up with some things, but you need a good sleeping arrangement. is the bathroom accessible both night, day and on the road? Does the galley area wok for your style of cooking/eating. is there adequate room in the shower, does the counter space work for your wife's routine. Spend some time sitting in them and try to imagine if it works four your life style. driving time is minimal compared to the time you will be parked. Good luck in your search, and don't get distracted by glitz.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

The most important thing is to have decent beds. I rarely sleep well on cobbled-together smaller bed areas like a dual-use dinette so I'll have to check that out. Access to the bathroom with slide retracted- another plus. Freshwater capacity is another consideration for off-grid camping.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
The most important thing is to have decent beds. I rarely sleep well on cobbled-together smaller bed areas like a dual-use dinette so I'll have to check that out. Access to the bathroom with slide retracted- another plus. Freshwater capacity is another consideration for off-grid camping.
Our Navion 24V has split twins/full queen in the back, w/Froli mattress support system. Very comfortable in either configuration, but we usually leave it as twins for easier access to the aisle, to access the bathroom non-disruptively, at night. W/slide in.
31 gals fresh water w/about the same for both holding tanks. Not a lot, but not a show stopper for us, off grid.
Just some of the reasons we went with the 24V floorplan.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #11

Pros and cons, having owned a 2017 MB Sprinter. Pros - easy to drive, park anywhere. Easy access into supermarket parking lots, good visibility, very safe cab area (if they ever get the airbag fiasco solved). Excellent fuel mileage, tows a small vehicle well, comfortable cab area. Cons: very limited CCC (cargo carrying capacity), small fresh water tank, somewhat cramped inside, depending on model and layout, miserable split bed design that is a PITA to make and teardown each time you move. Maintenance costs: this is where MB can get you by the shorthairs - unless you do your own oil change, for about $120 (after getting the proper tools), MD will charge you $200 - $400 at the dealership, depending on what they say the service includes. And even though MB says you can go 20K miles between changes, I would never go past 10K or once a year, 10K and 20K mile maintenance points will run between $1500 to $200 each time at the dealer. Oh, and be sure there is an "authorized" dealer close to you as the selling RV dealership will not service any chassis relayed issue. In my case, the closest dealer was a 3 - 4 hour drive away, each way. If you tracvel outside of a major metropolitan area (where most authorized service centers are) bed sure you have a real good roadside service contract that will tow you to the closest authorized dealer, which could be 500 miles away, at no charge (think traveling in Montana, wyoming, etc and something fails). We upsized to a gas Class A MH as the final deciding factor for us was space in the unit. After our last 5 - 6 week trip, I was going nuts in the confined area, especially if you hit long spells of bad weather. There was really no place to sit, lounge, or relax, inside the rig we had for any long period of time - other than sitting at the dinette. Now, I feel like I'm in a bowling ally with all the space we have, but I do get less MPG (about a 1/3 as compared to the Sprinter). Also, be aware of fuel requirements as MB had specified ULSD diesel as the fuel to use, but I understand they have backed off that a bit with 10% and 20% bio diesel starting to become more prevalent - just have to watch your oil level, as bio can end up in the oil pan. So - this should give you something to think about - good rigs, but pros and cons as with everything.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #12

What model 2017 Sprinter did you own? Just curious, as I've not encountered most of what you described as "cons" in our Sprinter based Navion. It isn't as big inside as our Sunstar was, but we don't feel cramped at all. Was it a Class B van conversion? Our Roadtrek (class B) definitely fit the "cramped" description at times.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Pros and cons, having owned a 2017 MB Sprinter. Pros - easy to drive, park anywhere. Easy access into supermarket parking lots, good visibility, very safe cab area (if they ever get the airbag fiasco solved). Excellent fuel mileage, tows a small vehicle well, comfortable cab area. Cons: very limited CCC (cargo carrying capacity), small fresh water tank, somewhat cramped inside, depending on model and layout, miserable split bed design that is a PITA to make and teardown each time you move. Maintenance costs: this is where MB can get you by the shorthairs - unless you do your own oil change, for about $120 (after getting the proper tools), MD will charge you $200 - $400 at the dealership, depending on what they say the service includes. And even though MB says you can go 20K miles between changes, I would never go past 10K or once a year, 10K and 20K mile maintenance points will run between $1500 to $200 each time at the dealer. Oh, and be sure there is an "authorized" dealer close to you as the selling RV dealership will not service any chassis relayed issue. In my case, the closest dealer was a 3 - 4 hour drive away, each way. If you tracvel outside of a major metropolitan area (where most authorized service centers are) bed sure you have a real good roadside service contract that will tow you to the closest authorized dealer, which could be 500 miles away, at no charge (think traveling in Montana, wyoming, etc and something fails). We upsized to a gas Class A MH as the final deciding factor for us was space in the unit. After our last 5 - 6 week trip, I was going nuts in the confined area, especially if you hit long spells of bad weather. There was really no place to sit, lounge, or relax, inside the rig we had for any long period of time - other than sitting at the dinette. Now, I feel like I'm in a bowling ally with all the space we have, but I do get less MPG (about a 1/3 as compared to the Sprinter). Also, be aware of fuel requirements as MB had specified ULSD diesel as the fuel to use, but I understand they have backed off that a bit with 10% and 20% bio diesel starting to become more prevalent - just have to watch your oil level, as bio can end up in the oil pan. So - this should give you something to think about - good rigs, but pros and cons as with everything.
This is an interesting post.

We are on 2nd class A but seriously looked at Sprinters the last go round and all you mention put us off. We will look at them again when it's time to change.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
What model 2017 Sprinter did you own? Just curious, as I've not encountered most of what you described as "cons" in our Sprinter based Navion. It isn't as big inside as our Sunstar was, but we don't feel cramped at all. Was it a Class B van conversion? Our Roadtrek (class B) definitely fit the "cramped" description at times.
We had a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker, model 2400R unit.

HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c