Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

I plan on selling my motor home what's the best way to sell it or how do I go about it?

mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Use our search feature and you'll find a lot of advice on this.

I just sold our 40DP. After trying to sell it myself for several months, I got frustrated and turned it over to a local dealer who does consignment. We agreed on the price I would accept (not much over wholesale) and the dealer kept anything over that.

The dealer was able to accept the buyer's trade in... put six new tires on the coach... replaced all five batteries... provided a six month warranty... and worked a finance deal which fit the buyer's needs. All things I could not do selling it myself.

IMHO, if you need to get top dollar for it... try to sell it yourself. If you're not inclined to put up with all that goes along with selling it yourself and are willing to accept less... I'd go with consignment.

Best of luck

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Although every situation is different, here's what I've been doing with our 2006 WGO View 23J. If you're a retired bum like me who likes the "Art of the Deal," I made up some large, professional-looking "For Sale" signs (any quick print can make them) and park at the busiest local fast food joint that can accommodate my rig without creating a hassle. In my case, I park at a McDonald's along a busy highway and eat a leisurely lunch for about an hour or so. I do this 2 or 3 times each week and have had several people stop to look at it.

Of course, I have it listed on all the usual places like Craigslist, iRV2 and other online lists but I've had the most action from parking it in my yard and at Mickey D's. I also take it shopping and leave it at WalMart, Home Depot, B&N and other places where parking is readily available and I can justify hanging out for 1-3 hours.

If you're a working stiff or just don't like dealing with selling, you may be better off consigning it as the previous poster recommended. HTH

2006 WGO View 23J (For Sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sold our's on Craigslist. Also had a sign in the window at campgrounds...Many tire kickers. The only person who viewed it from Craigslist bought it.

I'm always looking at RV's on Craigslist, and notice the poor representation, pictures and descriptions for what a person is selling. Take "high quality" pictures, include many details of your RV: year, length, measurements, weight, tank sizes, upgrades, over-all condition...
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Sold our pusher on Craig's list.
Downsized Winnebago C, 24 V /08 Saturn Vue/2014 Town and Country Van/03 Goldwing (Big Red)Recently triked Roadsmith kit
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
I sold my 04 minnie on Craigslist, the first person that came to look at it bought it. I guess my price was too low. I had put new tires on it, a new Tv, had the roof redone so it shined. Had the entire unit cleaned and polished, put in new co2, smoke and propane detectors. Oh and a couple of new decals on the outside, the other ones were starting to crack. I only asked 20K for it. It Had 19K miles on the V10. So Craigslist is a good place to try.
Ed/Brenda, 2 Dogs Sammy,Roxy. FMCA 436099
2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Listed our in three different places, but Craigslist is the one that got the action.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
ewg1022, Your price might have not been too low...it might have been right on target and the buyer jumped on it because they had already been looking for awhile. I'm currently in the market, I know what I want, and I'm seeing a lot of overpriced rigs that aren't moving, and I have time and cash on my side.

I can always take a trip to Cozumel - don't have to rv.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
I'm another one who sold on craigslist. I posted an ad for my Coachmen 12/2, added pictures on 12/6. A family came by early evening on 12/7 to look at it. The fellow came back on12/8, took it for a test drive and then bought it.
I had visions of it taking forever to sell. I was lucky I guess, that the first and only person to look at it, bought it.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
I've sold 2 trailers on CL, both TT which sold within 2 days and I made 3K off of them, then a PUP on RV Trader which took about 3wks. The RV trader listing cost me about $20 for a month long listing. That was my first trailer to sell. After that I've stuck to CL. Just take very good quality pics and be honest with your listing. If you do decide on CL be aware of scams. Most start off with "I saw your ad on Craigslist, what's the lowest you'll take for it." Once I told them $250k for a 8k trailer and they said they were perfectly fine with paying my asking price lol
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
I've sold lots of vehicles on Craigslist and recently bought our RV there as well. I have some advice to help you sell your RV there and make it stand out above most of the others. First, clean your RV inside and out. Take as many pictures as CL allows, I think it is 6-8. Show inside & out. Make sure there isn't pop cans on the table, dishes in the sink or dirt on the carpets. If you have a pet, make sure it isn't in any of the pictures. Include a diagram of the layout if you have one. Describe your unit accurately including recent maintenance and any issues. Do not hide mileage or your asking price. CL allows a lot of room for description so be sure to use as much as you can. By doing this buyers will pre-qualify themselves before they contact you and you won't waste your time with tire kickers. Also do a search before listing to find out who and what your competition will be. Price yours so it is competitive with similar rigs in similar condition.

When I was looking, I would skip over ads that didn't list price or mileage as those are probably the first 2 questions a buyer would ask. My experience is that if it isn't listed in the ad, there is a reason why. I have sold dozens of vehicles over the years and always sold it to the first person who came out and looked at it. I also didn't waste a lot of time answering questions because my ad spelled out exactly what I was selling.

Finally when it comes to scammers, they are pretty easy to spot. Anyone with a sob story, especially on first contact doesn't get a reply. If you use common sense you can avoid them easily.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Private sale via Craigslist. Best for lower to moderate value RV. The higher the price the more financing via a dealer becomes a factor.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
As I said in an earlier post, "...every situation is different..." When I lived in a large metropolitan area, CL was the "go-to" for selling/buying most anything. However, now that I've retired to a small town of 6000 where the nearest city is 50 miles away, I've had to get creative.

Of the 10 calls I've had from CL, 8 have been scammers and/or bottom feeders. I've had more genuine interest from "For Sale" flyers at my barber and nearby stores.

Along with the advice to include good photos, willingness to deliver might be a "sweetener." Many people can't take time off to pick up a rig. By offering to deliver, you can accompany them to their bank where they hand over cash and they save time. I require a non-refundable cash deposit to do this so scammers never call back.

2006 WGO View 23J (For Sale)
2010 WGO Vista 30W

LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote