Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #1

Selling

Me and my wife have been trying to sell our 2003 trail lite it has 20,000 miles . We had some people come and look but no luck, and some said they would come and look but never showed up. My daughter getting married next year and we're trying to sell it but no potential buyers yet. What's the best way to sell it and get what it's worth?
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you advertised it in the classified section here? I would say advertise it everywhere you can think of. Websites such as this, rv trader, Craigslist even the local papers. Being a 2003 will limit financing options. What do you feel it is worth? Where are you located and what engine and chassis does it have?

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

I recommend rvtrader.com for great exposure. Once I uploaded a video tour, it sold right away. Make sure it is empty and very clean. Price it to sell. Check the nada RV guide for rough price.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

We used CraigsList on a 1999 Damon. Sold for $18G's in less than two weeks.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

Sold our Motorhome using RVtrader.com. Spent $59. Listed on Friday. On the following Wednesday new owners left my place with it. Could not be happier. Had 2 others that wanted to buy it. But it was sold on Monday.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #6

Go on Craigslist and look for your competition, similar models and within a year of yours. Check their prices and watch which ones disappear and which ones relist week after week. That should tell you where you price needs to be. You could also do this on Ebay but that isn't the best in my opinion.

Secondly, clean out your RV of all your personal stuff and then detail it inside and out. Then take lots of pictures, inside and out, 6 or 8 showing the best of your RV, not the same ones over and over. Adding things like place settings on the table or nice towels are a nice touch but don't overdo it. It would be beneficial to add one picture of your rig setup in a nice campsite. I'm sure you have one already.

Then write a nice description of your RV. CL doesn't charge so there is no need for abbreviations. State your price and mileage if your RV has an odometer. Clearly explain if there are any issues but be sure to extol the things that are nice about your RV. This way you won't waste time with tire kickers who can't afford your RV or want something that your RV doesn't have. Also keep your description to the RV. Buyers don't want to know about your personal issues or where you went with it. Too long a description will have buyers skipping over it. Use punctuation and paragraphs to make reading your ad easier.

I have followed this over the last 45+ years of buying and selling vehicles and I almost always sell to the first person who comes to look and for my price or very close to it. I seldom have to run the ad for more than the 7 days.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
What's the best way to sell it and get what it's worth?
Unfortunately, what an RV is really worth and what a current owner thinks it's worth are often nowhere near the same number. Remove all emotion from the issue when setting your price; the goodtimes/memories, the sentimental value...none of that applies to a potential buyer. They will also consider the "condition" of the RV as one step lower than what you consider the condition to be. NADA can be a good starting point, but as Olyeller said, go online and look at similar RVs and the prices they are going for in your area.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #8

I second the information on pictures and way to set up/clean for the pics. Do away with ALL personal items in the camper. Remove every last pot, pan, cup, anything that doesn't go with the camper.

Pics of the interior are tough to get properly, take many and pick out the best ones. Don't go click, click, click and think, "there, I'm done", rather keep clicking, take a hundred or so (ain't digital cameras nice?), then sort thru them on a real computer with a decent screen. They need to be about 1600x1200 or so, don't do huge pics that leave the viewer scrolling the screen trying to see them.

If necessary, drive the RV to a different location to get outside pics. Chose an empty parking lot with a nice background of trees, a park or the like. Don't take pics with clutter, other cars, etc, in the background. In order to get all sides of it, you will probably have to turn it around or move it several times to get the sunlight behind you for each side of the pic.

Charles
Old 07-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
I am looking for an rv to retire in and travel. Please give me details. I need one that is at least 30ft as I have 100# dog.
hikingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #10

One thing to consider, is on Craigslist people are notorious for low balling the price. I would suggest pricing it about 2-3k over what the vehicle is worth, knowing they will make an offer.
Ctrujillo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
...Craigslist people are notorious for low balling the price...
Never negotiate the starting price over the phone. But yes, be prepared to negotiate.

Brokers and re-sellers would say "I'll give you X dollars for it right now."

My answer was: "Maybe, can you meet me at the bank with the cash, I'll bring the title. After the deal is finished, I'll take you to the MH so you can pick it up."

Their response was they wanted to look at it first. Then my followup was: "You come look at it first, then we might be in a better position to negotiate."

Always be polite.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
Me and my wife have been trying to sell our 2003 trail lite it has 20,000 miles . We had some people come and look but no luck, and some said they would come and look but never showed up. My daughter getting married next year and we're trying to sell it but no potential buyers yet. What's the best way to sell it and get what it's worth?

I really think you will need to take a hard look at the true market value.
What you think it's worth and what it is being sold for on the market today could be too far apart.
I have sold many items on Craigslist. Cars, trailers boats and implements.
I research what the item is selling for. Price it in that range.
Majority of the items I have sold went within 2 days. Most within hours. Most of the time I held my ground on price if I had multiple request to look.
I tend to be a realist with selling and value the quick sell versus trying to make a profit and price over what the market may bear.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
Have you advertised it in the classified section here?
I probably walked right by it but, I can't find a classified section.
Yew Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:17 AM   #14
Community Administrator

It's in the light green tool bar at the top of very page on the fullsite. Not visible on the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yew Wood View Post
I probably walked right by it but, I can't find a classified section.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote