RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Selling an RV

Need to sell my RV. Do I list on this site or is there a better place to go?
Thanks
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

I just sold my 5th wheel on RV Trader, but I also listed it here and on Craig’s List. Good pictures and a thorough description gets more interest.

Good luck.

jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Thanks J. It's on craigslist and i'll list on the trader. Sits on the corner with a for sale sign on it and have a lot of interest but hard to find someone with 50K.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

I listed on all of the following
RVT.com
RVTrader.com
iRV2 classifieds
C List
Only RV Trader was a paid ad - you never know where the buyer will come from till after the fact. I had inquiries from all.
You will get scammers, other sites seeking listing (not worth it IMHO) and consignment shops (i wasn't interested in that)
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #5

Thanks, Wine I'll check them out.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:04 AM   #6

Clean it inside & out
Stage it pretty like you see houses on TV
Take good pics and edit / retake
Do your research and price it right
Get it out there via above sites
Fix anything broken or be clear what doesn't work w prospective buyers.
If you have good maint records organize and summarize them... they are a good selling point and can be a deciding factor for buyers
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Need to sell my RV. Do I list on this site or is there a better place to go?
Thanks
Mike
I did a video walk through and uploaded it to rvtrader com. That sold the RV.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree that having a video walk through is a good idea. This has helped me sell each time. I've sold two to a state next door. The video was what made them want to make the trip to look at it. Added bonus: fewer "tire kickers" and genuine interested parties who have already viewed the video before seeing it in person.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have all the maintenance records since it was new?

If so put that in the ad.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
If you don't have any luck after a period of time goes by, you might consider a consignment if you can find a reputable dealer. I've sold RVs both privately taking out my own ads and doing my own marketing but I've also used a consignment dealer two times and was very pleased with the results.

Sure, you're leaving money on the table using a consignment dealer but it is so much less stress. When you said "...it's hard to find someone with 50k" that's when it's sometimes faster consigning it as the dealer can take a trade or arrange financing, etc. that we would find difficult, impractical, or most times impossible selling it privately ourselves.

They also take away the stress of making appointments to show the unit, test drives, and the exchange of payment and title that can be stressful ...e.g. do you take a certified check, electronic bank transfer, wire transfer, etc. ? BTW, I learned that a wire transfer is actually the most sure way that you are receiving the funds at the same time the title is transferred. I've been told that accepting a certified check and even an electronic transfer have their own risks and holding rules, etc.

I've had a couple of occasions where a buyer and myself have made an appointment to meet in order for them to see and inspect the rig only to have them not show. That can get frustrating. You can spend a lot of time with "tire kickers" who show up and just want to look where you know that they have no intention of buying. I guess my point is that you have the potential to waste a lot of time when trying to sell it yourself as opposed to consigning it.

But hopefully, you'll be able to sell it fast for around the price you want so you won't have to even think about using a consignment dealer. You'll be way ahead from a financial standpoint if that happens and the transaction goes smoothly.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, List it on this site, and yes, there might be better places to go..

The best place to go is the place that gets it sold.. Here, RV Trader, Craigs list, etc.

I have my own MH web site and created a "for sale" page. I listed it in as many places as I could, provided a lot of detail, and provided links back to the web site. The web site showed potential buyers very detailed maintenance and gave them the comfort that they were getting a good deal.

It sold in a few weeks..

http://www.2001mirada.com/

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #12

People here keep mentioning bank transfers as a safe way to get paid. I agree that they are safe but be aware that not all banks or CUs do them. Our transaction was for over $40K and the buyer's CU wouldn't do a bank transfer. My CU would do one. It almost ruined the sale.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
People here keep mentioning bank transfers as a safe way to get paid. I agree that they are safe but be aware that not all banks or CUs do them. Our transaction was for over $40K and the buyer's CU wouldn't do a bank transfer. My CU would do one. It almost ruined the sale.
As I previously posted, I agree. Not all financial institutions will accommodate a direct electronic transfer. Plus, I was told that even those may have a hold depending on the circumstances. Again, my understanding is that a wire transfer is the only way funds are transferred "on the spot" and pretty much guaranteed.

I found this out a few years ago when I sold a car to a private party. They offered to do a direct electronic transfer and I thought that was acceptable. However, my bank told me that they'd still have to verify the funds which may take anywhere from a few hours to the next business day. That's when they told me that a wire transfer is the only sure way the funds are available immediately when hitting my account. The rep told me that it's worth the fees that may be charged on both sides to have the peace of mind knowing that a large transfer of funds is good and available immediately.

I did take a certified check once for the sale of a vehicle but I trusted the guy as we went to his bank branch and I witnessed them making out the check so I knew the funds were there and the check was good. However, my bank told me that they would still have to verify the funds before releasing them. But since I was reasonably confident that the check was good, I wasn't worried about that.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

Consignment Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
If you don't have any luck after a period of time goes by, you might consider a consignment if you can find a reputable dealer. I've sold RVs both privately taking out my own ads and doing my own marketing but I've also used a consignment dealer two times and was very pleased with the results.

Sure, you're leaving money on the table using a consignment dealer but it is so much less stress. When you said "...it's hard to find someone with 50k" that's when it's sometimes faster consigning it as the dealer can take a trade or arrange financing, etc. that we would find difficult, impractical, or most times impossible selling it privately ourselves.

They also take away the stress of making appointments to show the unit, test drives, and the exchange of payment and title that can be stressful ...e.g. do you take a certified check, electronic bank transfer, wire transfer, etc. ? BTW, I learned that a wire transfer is actually the most sure way that you are receiving the funds at the same time the title is transferred. I've been told that accepting a certified check and even an electronic transfer have their own risks and holding rules, etc.

I've had a couple of occasions where a buyer and myself have made an appointment to meet in order for them to see and inspect the rig only to have them not show. That can get frustrating. You can spend a lot of time with "tire kickers" who show up and just want to look where you know that they have no intention of buying. I guess my point is that you have the potential to waste a lot of time when trying to sell it yourself as opposed to consigning it.

But hopefully, you'll be able to sell it fast for around the price you want so you won't have to even think about using a consignment dealer. You'll be way ahead from a financial standpoint if that happens and the transaction goes smoothly.
Who did you use to sell yourRV? We have a Class C Four Winds to sell and your logic seems smart about using a dealership. We have LazyDays and Camping World near us, so I was curious who you have used. Thanks!

wahlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell