Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #1

Selling our Dutchman

We took a cross country trip for only 20 days in the Dutchman and now DH wants to sell it. That is after he replaced the dead/dying fridge with a brand new $1,300 Norcold. We have $19,000 sunk into this MH with almost everything that could be replaced - replaced. That was almost $1,000 a day for this trip. We could have stayed in the finest Hotels for that kind of money, eating lobster every night. We worked on it almost 2 years to get it in decent condition. Hundreds of hours. I'm sick over this.

Sorry, just had to do some venting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
So sorry. What is his reasoning?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Let him blow of steam for a bit and then sit down and tell him the worst is over and likely most of the major issues have been worked out. Any RV is going to need maintenance with some major failures along the way. Good luck
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #4

Take smaller 2 or 3 day trips and he will get used to it.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasOregon View Post
So sorry. What is his reasoning?
He says it's not practical to have and maintain 2 RVs. But the truth I believe is a little different. He doesn't really enjoy camping and taking trips. He's the type to get gungho over something but quickly tires of it. And he's tired of CGs and traveling. I see he gets bored after everything is set up and we walk around the place looking at the other setups. He's not into outdoor cooking or campfires. It's to where he sits in the RV and reads or watches TV or plays on his computer. He completely disconnects from life. I feel like I'm alone with a chauffeur. A person just waiting until it's time to drive me back home. And I know he became disenchanted with all the work that had to be done on the Dutchman, and all the money we had to spend replacing just about everything. So it's a combination of those things.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Take smaller 2 or 3 day trips and he will get used to it.
It's not a case of getting used to it. We've had an RV since the spring of 2008. He's just lost interest... see my other reply above this one.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:34 AM   #7

A few pics of the old Dutchman

Maybe you can see why I like it so much. It's so easy to keep clean and the bed and sofa and dinette seats are comfortable. The windows are large and the whole inside is bright. And there is more storage space than we need.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #8

Maybe it's time to go with out the driver and enjoy your life. Someone that "disconnects" from life can't be a joy to be around. Lifes to short to live like that.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
It's not a case of getting used to it. We've had an RV since the spring of 2008. He's just lost interest... see my other reply above this one.
I see now. I thought this was your first RV. It's a sweet looking motorhome that should be easy to sell. But we all know we don't always get our money back when we sell.

You did a nice job with it.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
That would be tough. Hubby and I do hang out in the MH in the evenings, but during the day, we hike or just check out the area. We like to go, go, go!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
He says it's not practical to have and maintain 2 RVs. But the truth I believe is a little different. He doesn't really enjoy camping and taking trips. He's the type to get gungho over something but quickly tires of it. And he's tired of CGs and traveling. I see he gets bored after everything is set up and we walk around the place looking at the other setups. He's not into outdoor cooking or campfires. It's to where he sits in the RV and reads or watches TV or plays on his computer. He completely disconnects from life. I feel like I'm alone with a chauffeur. A person just waiting until it's time to drive me back home. And I know he became disenchanted with all the work that had to be done on the Dutchman, and all the money we had to spend replacing just about everything. So it's a combination of those things.
Sounds like my wife! We get somewhere, I do most of the setup, then all she wants to do is sit inside and watch TV. Her health is poor, if she stays outside very much she gets ear aches and maybe a cold. I was raised going RV'ing and enjoy it, her, not so much. The I end up doing all most all the teardown and have always done all the driving although right now her medical conditions keep her from driving anything.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
After falling into the same situation as you folks, with me being the one living like your hubby, my wife gave me a big hug one day, and asked me how she could get the "Old Bruce" back? I thought about it, then heard a movie quote from Shawshank Redemption, "Get busy living, or get busy dying". Wow, that hit me hard. I chose to get busy living, and now she tells me "You chose WISELY"!

Life is too damn short, my wife was almost killed by a drunk driver, then almost died from Lyme disease that was misdiagnosed and caused a stroke along with cardiac dysrhythmias, THEN was T-boned at a highway intersection by a construction truck! All of these occurred within a 3-year period. She wants to live SO BAD, really enjoys life, and it has almost been taken away so many times. Well, that is our story, and it worked for us.

Good luck and God bless!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Maybe it's time to go with out the driver and enjoy your life. Someone that "disconnects" from life can't be a joy to be around. Lifes to short to live like that.
I agree. He and I aren't always on the same page. But I don't drive much anymore due to arthritis. I never drove anything larger than a small van. I don't drive on interstates or where there's fast moving traffic anymore either. My judgement isn't good in traffic so I've had a few close calls.

And would that be any different than being with someone sitting there disconnected? Several times I he left and went home while I stayed alone at the local CGs. I can tell you it wasn't much fun. The people were all in couples or family groups or had children. It's not like it was years ago when everyone invited everyone to their campfire. When there was a lot of camaraderie and most campers were around the same age. There was a whole thread, a very interesting one, on just this topic either here or on RV.net a few years ago.

Years ago when I went camping, back when I lived in NY, I always went with several other couples or a few female friends. My ex-husband was very much in to camping at the time. When I went with the girls we called it girl's weekend off. We'd leave the children with our husbands and take off to FahnestockPark for a long weekend of just fun and relaxing and hiking and cooking over the fire-pit. We would end up inviting others to our campsite or be invited to others campsites. Those were among the best times of my life.

My last friend here died a few years ago so I have no one to go with. I live in a rural area where the women don't get involved outside the home unless it's with their husbands or family members. And none of them are into camping or any outdoor activities.

We'll be leaving for FL in about 5 weeks so I'll get to be around other women interested in camping and RVs for 4 months. It's the other 8 I'm really starting to dread.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
I see now. I thought this was your first RV. It's a sweet looking motorhome that should be easy to sell. But we all know we don't always get our money back when we sell.

You did a nice job with it.
Thanks. It was a real mess when we bought it but it ran like a new vehicle. I'm sure we wont get all our money back. I'm hoping we don't get any buyers at all.