Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #1

Selling Via Craig's List Advice

I posted earlier looking for advice on selling and thanks for the replies. We're looking into consignment with PPL in Texas and Camping World here in CO Springs. But we've also got it listed on Craig's List while we explore the consignment details.
Thus, any advice for selling on Craig's List? I know there are scams with people offering cashier's checks. Any tips are welcome.
Thanks!
Tom
wahlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ignore/delete any message that says they are willing to pay your asking price, without ever having seen it.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlfamily View Post
I posted earlier looking for advice on selling and thanks for the replies. We're looking into consignment with PPL in Texas and Camping World here in CO Springs. But we've also got it listed on Craig's List while we explore the consignment details.
Thus, any advice for selling on Craig's List? I know there are scams with people offering cashier's checks. Any tips are welcome.
Thanks!
Tom
My experience with Craigslist items (I've never tried to sell a camper or such) is that they will usually want to know (the very first thing), "So, what's the least you would take for your ______?" My response is....."So, what's the most you would pay for my _____?" That puts the ball back in their court and will do one of two things.
1. They will actually be interested and want to look/check it out...or
2. They go ghost and you never hear from them again, which really isn't a loss as they weren't interested anyway unless they could steal it from you for little of nothing.

I don't understand how anyone that is serious could make that their first question......Sweet Moses.....you haven't even looked at it yet and you want to kill me on price! Just be prepared to get a few tire kickers that really aren't interested unless you are willing to practically give it away.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful. I'm a little concerned with any payment though. I'm asking $16,000. Is it reasonable to request that in cash? I've heard there can be scams with cashiers checks.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

A personal check of theirs is fine. Turned into cash at their bank.
If you are selling a class A or C, you drive, they go along.
Have an agreement in writing. After you have the cash, sign the agreement and title over to them.
Only deal in person with the actual buyer.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used rvt.com twice, asked for wire transfer as after 10% deposit to hold unit, once you have the funds,sign the title and bill of s as left add rating "as is" no warranty no r ed turn ,both parties sign it we it- the vin# and the odo reading.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #7

You might find this recent thread useful

Private Party purchase
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:18 AM   #8
tcg

What I like about Craigslist is it's normally local and you always meet the person.

I sold a boat recently for 24 grand.

Buyer showed up, liked it, we came up with a price a grand less than I was asking. He left me 50 bucks he paid for a survey (inspection) and we closed the deal a couple days after the survey.

We met at my bank. He brought a check from an equity account, my bank made sure it was good, I signed the title gave him the keys and off we went.

I sold another boat several years ago for 10 grand. That buyer brought cash and we finished the deal at the marina where the boat was located.

I bought our Class C for 12 grand a few years ago. Private sale. I paid with cash in the parking lot of the Secretary Of State (DMV) the seller signed the title and I went right inside and transferred it.

Others have other experiences but I think for the most part if you're selling local and you can met the buyer your chances of getting scammed are a lot lower, probablly zero.

Here's your tip. Put a good description and quality photos. When we were shopping you can't believe how many rigs we looked at that looked nothing like the pictures.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #9

Thanks again to all above. It's been interesting so far. I have 5 inquiries in the 12 hours since I posted it. Most have asked smart, relevant questions.

One says she is a serious cash buyer who trusts that the RV is in good condition and would pay more. She is a bit overly insistent that I call her so she can meet me immediately (I'm trying to figure out scams where supposed buyers want my number). But her inquiry seems to have some red flags that I've read about: too good to be true and willing to pay higher sight unseen. But, she is local.
I've emailed her back and explained I'm too busy to call and asked her to email me a time to meet tomorrow or Sunday. We'll see how that goes.
I'm surprised by the number of replies. I thought I was outside the buying season.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
When I sold our Suburban on CL, I was flooded with responses from brokers all over the country. Did some research on a few spoke to several on the phone. Ended up selling to a broker in South Carolina and we are in Indiana. Met in a bank parking lot, they inspected vehicle, paid in cash which we deposited immediately in bank while buyer was still there. Each of the brokers that contacted me did not question price and all said would pay in cash. Based on your responses from CL, sounds like same situation may be taking place.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #11

Selling Via Craig's List Advice

Main things to put in your ad are:
Price is firm and sale is “as is”
1 st in with cash gets the unit
And don’t waste your time giving them the grand tour until the have looked it over and decide to buy. I wasted 2 hours with one yo-yo who turned out to be just looking.
Nice thing about craigslist is that all the vehicles I have sold went within a week of posting. Make sure your price takes into mind that if you sell on consignment you will lose 30% of your selling price.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've sold two RV. I include lots of pictures and details. A realistic description. And a realistic asking price. This will greatly reduce the tire kickers and questions. Leaving mostly real buyer candidates and the occasional low baller or scammer. Just ignore scammers and give low ballers very little of your time.

As for the transaction. Cash only. Or meet at the bank to do the transaction directly with the bank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlfamily View Post
Thanks again to all above. It's been interesting so far. I have 5 inquiries in the 12 hours since I posted it. Most have asked smart, relevant questions.

One says she is a serious cash buyer who trusts that the RV is in good condition and would pay more. She is a bit overly insistent that I call her so she can meet me immediately (I'm trying to figure out scams where supposed buyers want my number). But her inquiry seems to have some red flags that I've read about: too good to be true and willing to pay higher sight unseen. But, she is local.
I've emailed her back and explained I'm too busy to call and asked her to email me a time to meet tomorrow or Sunday. We'll see how that goes.
I'm surprised by the number of replies. I thought I was outside the buying season.
Don't waste your time with her, my spidey senses are tingling. You will probably find that she is not really local to you and wants to buy your rig sight unseen for more than you are asking. Then the scam will start.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
Don't waste your time with her, my spidey senses are tingling. You will probably find that she is not really local to you and wants to buy your rig sight unseen for more than you are asking. Then the scam will start.

X2 on the spidey senses.

-
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, sell