Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #15

It's all about personal preference. The biggest difference is storage space, class a's usually have bigger basement compartments and a larger cargo carrying capacity. So a lot depends on how you intend to use it. They both offer similar conveniences find what you like and start enjoying.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Good question, makes you say hmmmm. In some cases, better crash protection for driver and passenger, steel all around and air bags. Sleeps more people than Class A for the most part, probably better for families. Cheaper to maintain, parts more readily available and standard, ie tires, wiper blades etc. Easier to drive and possibly less intimidating. Less initial cost when new and possibly less depreciation for the first couple five years. Better gas mileage, debateable. No prefect motor home, Class C no exception, but does many things pretty well.

I couldn't have stated any better myself. As far as what mfr you're considering- try Fleetwood or Winnebago. We had a Jamboree 31-M that we liked very much. There are a lot still around- ours was an '05. The Tioga is the sister model and the only difference was color. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
C and A Comparison

I can speak to both since I have owned both in the last three years. Initially, my wife and I felt we would be just fine with a Class C. We Had a Fleetwood 31M Class C for two years. We went out to New Mexico and back to Maryland so we were able to get traveling in and not just weekend outings. One of the problems I encountered was trying to find a Ford Dealer to service the unit. No one in my area had a large enough shop to take it in. Regarding the coach, it was great but could get a little tight when in not so nice weather. Even with one slide out in the living area was comfortable but not as roomy as we like. My C did not come with levelers which I feel are a huge advantage when setting up and leveling. Rolling up on blocks front and rear, depending on the spot, could get tricky and needing a little mind calculating. The C is easy to drive and the cab is comfortable. I did find that the ride is bumpier in the C because of the smaller wheels. I also had to replace the front and rear stabilizers which improved the ride immensely cutting down the swaying from the heavy coach on the smaller frame.

We bought a 37 ft. A with three sides, two in the living/galley area. I is so much roomier than the C. It also sleeps 6 like the C did. When we first drove it, it seemed huge with the large windshield, but really the only difference between the C and the A height and width wise is the A is about a foot taller and the widths are the same except for the cab area of the C is narrower.

As far as gas mileage, the A has the larger Triton motor which compensates for the weight difference (21k verses 15k). So far my mileage is about the same between the two coaches. Larger holding takes and fuel tank on the A. The A comes with Levelers. One big change was Storage size and Slam doors on the A over the C. By the way, my A is a 2013 for about 25k more than the C.

Regardless whether it is an or C you choose, they all require TLC and some handyman skills to avoid all the dealer trips. Costs me $100 in gas every time I have to go to the Dealer.

If money is not a priority, then go with the A . Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Well, I thank you all very much for your advice. Something much different popped up for me and I decided to save my money and go with a vintage Vogue Class A motorhome which appears to be like new. Got it for $7500 knowing the dash and one roof air need some attention. Owner came down considerably to cover those repairs and then some. Here it is in case your would like to see

Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #19

Congrats on the coach. Good choice vogue made some awesome coaches.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We just bought a 31' C and choose that over some As we could have bought. For all the reasons stated above. The first campground we pulled into it was getting dark and raining and SO easy compared to the 40' 5th wheel we had! Neat.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Very Nice! Thank you for taking on a vintage to love and care for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
Well, I thank you all very much for your advice. Something much different popped up for me and I decided to save my money and go with a vintage Vogue Class A motorhome which appears to be like new. Got it for $7500 knowing the dash and one roof air need some attention. Owner came down considerably to cover those repairs and then some. Here it is in case your would like to see

MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post

Congrats, I have a question when you asked about c vers A's this motorhome
was in your signature so did you already own it when you posted question?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As my sig says--we had owned a 2008 Class A, 36' 13'hi with 3 slides, a full queen bed, etc, for 78k miles, so it didn't just sit around and rust. BUT we had problems whenever we went to St Parks--the sites were too small. Tree branches always scraped the roof or sides. It didn't matter if in WA, OR or CA. As I'm typing--we are on the Oregon coast in a SP and we fit very nicely. We have plenty of storage in nicely arranged basements--2 with pass-thrus--more than we had in the Class A.

While there is some disaggreement as to what is a Class C and what is a Class B, I would say if it's kind of a van--it's a B, if it has an over cab area--it's a Class C, if it's like a Class C without the over cab area---it's a B+. All that said--the Melbourne is a Class B+. If you are considering a Melbourne--pay very close attention to where the microwave is placed! And when buying any >28' Class C or B+ make sure you get both axle weights (preferrable the 4 corner weights) and understand where your carrying capacity is.

hth, Ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Congrats, I have a question when you asked about c vers A's this motorhome
was in your signature so did you already own it when you posted question?
No, I just changed the pic. Was still up in the air when I asked the question, never realizing I would choose an inexpensive vintage one as I did. Feel very comfortable with what I spent on it. Drove it home yesterday and it drives great, except I think I will add some kind of true steering device to it. I seem to float around the lane a lot. But am happy with the ride and power. The overdrive works stupendously and the Banks unit gives it plenty of umph going up the steep hills. I think I made the right choice for me, and after I spend a couple thousand fixing it up as I want it technologically, it will be just right for little old me.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #25

I have owned them both. The C is easier to drive, maintenance is far easier and available at more places. If you have the air bags, the ride is better and more stable. Diesels not included. Generally the mpg is better, mine was way better. Storage can be a little more of a problem in Class C's, (I am talking outside storage). In any Class C be sure you get an island bed, you will hate the closed in corner beds. Personally I do not want any more "horseshoe" shaped dinnetes in any coach.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #26
mre

Does anyone here fulltime or travel for an extended time (say 4 plus months)? If so, how do you like it? Also, given the GVWR of the Ford based Class C or B or B+, are you able to carry all the stuff that makes you comfortable?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Does anyone here fulltime or travel for an extended time (say 4 plus months)? If so, how do you like it? Also, given the GVWR of the Ford based Class C or B or B+, are you able to carry all the stuff that makes you comfortable?
Class Cs can vary greatly in storage capacity. Some even when fully loaded with people and gear can have plenty of capacity left, while others are close to or over the GVWR, when they leave the factory.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #28

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Class Cs can vary greatly in storage capacity. Some even when fully loaded with people and gear can have plenty of capacity left, while others are close to or over the GVWR, when they leave the factory.
What he said....

Our 2012 E-350 Nexus 24' C has 3,368# of payload on a GVWR of 11,500. Fully loaded with one third full grey, black and fresh, firewood, back up Honda generator etc., we stopped at a scale in Oregon. We weighed in at 10,050# leaving us nearly 1500# of available payload. We have only used about 60% of the available storage inside the coach but the outside storage is just about full.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c