Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post

Holy Cow!!! I don't think that I have EVER seen any RV with that much rear overhang....

IF you tow a car, you need to be VERY cautious and be rolling before starting a turn or you will be very likely to drag the front end of your towed sideways.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Class Cs can vary greatly in storage capacity. Some even when fully loaded with people and gear can have plenty of capacity left, while others are close to or over the GVWR, when they leave the factory.
We have a 2014 Winnebago Minnie 31KP. Fully loaded I cam by a truck weigh station and they allowed me to weigh and I came out about 1000 pounds under GVWR - so very happy about that myself. I was fully loaded and ready for a one week trip. Full of gas, etc. So I think I have some wiggle room. I wanted to weigh the front and then rear and then all but the guy at the "trucker" weigh station did not appear to have that much patience! But my GVWR was good to give me plenty of room. As for storage room I am happy with this Winnebago. It has a large main area but many other areas for storage on both sides and all together my DW and I both believe we have more total storage than we had in a large Montana 5th wheel.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #31
mre

Though I am interested in GVWR issues and am also interested if anyone here fulltimes or travels for an extended time (say 4 plus months)? If so, how do you like it?
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #32

We have been full time in a 1995 HR 37 ft for two years and will continue until they put us in the home. We are still sorting thru things getting rid of unused weight. We do keep seasonal items in a shed at our sons house, we swap out when we are in town to visit. It's not all roses but that's life take it as it comes and enjoy.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #33
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
We have been full time in a 1995 HR 37 ft for two years and will continue until they put us in the home. We are still sorting thru things getting rid of unused weight. We do keep seasonal items in a shed at our sons house, we swap out when we are in town to visit. It's not all roses but that's life take it as it comes and enjoy.
Thanks. What I am really looking for a people that full time or do extended travel in a Class C or B+ and what size models they own.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Thanks. What I am really looking for a people that full time or do extended travel in a Class C or B+ and what size models they own.
I'd suggest you start another thread with your questions. You've buried yourself in the middle of this one.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
If you look at the spec the jayco would be a Class B, personally I would definitely go with the Itaska, more room inside, nicer ride and lot more storage room.
The Jayco is definitely NOT a Class B.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:21 AM   #36

Quote:
I have been considering buying a Class A most recently and have seen some nice ones. But now I'm wondering why not look at Class C's also. I like the idea of sitting up high in a Class A and enjoying the spectacular views when driving, but am wondering why others go with Class C's instead. The insides seem rather equal in floor plans and quality, so why are you a Class C person rather than a Class A one?

Now I understand the reason when you talk about short ones, but I am referring to the longer ones say 30' or so. What are the advantages of a larger Class C over a class A. It seems like the used Class Cs can actually be more expensive than the 10 yr old A's.

So why, how, when, etc of C's over A's. Does ease of use enter into it at all, especially for older less physical people are concerned? What is your take on it all?

Thanks, any and all input would be helpful to me now. Let's take 2 examples of what I like and what has raised these questions:
1. 29' Class C
2. 30' Class A
For years I have looked at RVs. After Winnebago stopped making the Rialta, which could get 20 mpg and was only 22 feet long, I lost interest for a while. In 2006 when I wasn't looking, RV units based on the Daimler Benz Sprinter Chassis cab (and carrying Dodge name plates) started to appear with 5 cylinder engines. These could once again get close to 20 mpg.

Two years ago I started looking at RVs again and recently became serious. I looked at Class As, Bs and Cs. I looked at used Rialtas, which are too high priced in most cases for their age and condition. I found new Class As starting as low as the $70ks and going well past $170k. And I looked at new Diesel Class Cs.

As my wife and I looked at RVs at a local dealer, her immediate reaction to the Class A was NO way. She didn't like the looks inside. And I didn't like the fuel economy. We both liked the handling and size of the Rialta. We like the passenger car like interior of the cab area on the Sprinters.

Since then we have driven several models and come to the conclusion that a Diesel Sprinter based unit is what we want. The handling is very good (for a truck chassis) and the quality of the engine and ABS systems are excellent.

Over the years I have researched not only the positives of RV use, but also, the negatives.

Negatives are cost of operation, storage, insurance, and some difficulty of use. Many Class As can be driven on standard 26,000 lbs. licenses which is what I currently have. But longer RVs swing wide in turns, and are much more difficult to back even with backup cameras present.

Some of the long Class C units have very long rear overhang. These will swing very wide in turns. We don't often hear of RV accidents, so this is probably not of too much concern. But we've all seen trucks swinging across the other side of the road trying to make turns. And I've been in situations with 30 foot long trucks where I couldn't proceed or back up.

Other negatives include park length restrictions. Many older parks do not accommodate RVs over 30'. All RVs are subject to the restrictions of bridge and overpass height, sharp turns, weight restrictions and in some cases local bans on RVs.

I found several towns in New England with bans on Class A units. I found some parks in Florida which allow ONLY Class A units. Whatever the class, they all have height and weight concerns.

Visiting Fuel economy I found that many of the gasoline engined RVs typically get 6 to 8 MPG. The Sprinters get 15 to 18 (some even higher in Class B).

What I eventually decided on is a 25' Class C Sprinter. It has more than I need, handles easily, and has decent fuel economy.

As for those of use who are older (I am). There isn't much effort needed to drive an RV. The greatest effort I foresee is unpacking the patio furniture when I stop at sites. All the RVs I looked at have backup cameras with audio.

If you have truck driving experience, you'll be right at home. These things are much wider than cars. You'll need to use your mirrors to keep in your lane. You'll also have to slow down a great deal more to maneuver.
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #37

Total weight of a rig may not represent your real CC, depending on how you pack it. I would urge those who list their weights to list your front and rear axle weights. For those who don't have them--I urge you to get them. Most/all Flying J's/Loves have scales which are separated so the front, rear & towed can be weighed at the same time, on the same ticket. It costs $5, with the FJ RVers card and is easy to do after a fill up--if you don't have one--get one--you save $.03 a gallon

Our rig was 360lbs overweight on the rear, and had 1200lbs left on the front, full tank of gas, 10 gal fresh water, empty dump tanks, packed for a weekend. A total weight would have been very deceiving in my case.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #38

Quote:
No, I just changed the pic. Was still up in the air when I asked the question, never realizing I would choose an inexpensive vintage one as I did. Feel very comfortable with what I spent on it. Drove it home yesterday and it drives great, except I think I will add some kind of true steering device to it. I seem to float around the lane a lot. But am happy with the ride and power. The overdrive works stupendously and the Banks unit gives it plenty of umph going up the steep hills. I think I made the right choice for me, and after I spend a couple thousand fixing it up as I want it technologically, it will be just right for little old me.
Would love to see some interior photos. I'm close to purchasing, not sure what. That looks like a great older MH ... you have my brain cells scrambling again.
bhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the C is more nimble. Our 25' drives great on the curvy mountain roads in our National Parks. And, yes, I really do not want to be without those 2 doors-with power windows and power locks.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of great comparison info here on A vs C. For us, a few things entered into it. While I have plenty of room to park either, getting into that parking area is tight, and anything over 28' would be improbable; my 27' C is good, but much over that...

I really like the overhead bunk; my wife & I sleep there, and while a rear bed would be nice, it also takes up alot of "living" space in the floorplan. Since we spend more time "living" than "sleeping", living space is more important, and our layout provides almost the entire interior length (except the rear bath) in an open living space, easily accommodating 8-12 sitting people, and will still sleep 6 (overhead, dinette, couch). Although as I get older, climbing into that overhead will likely become more of an inconvenience, making a rear bedroom more attractive.

A downside to the C is generally smaller tanks (water, black, grey, fuel) because of smaller GVWR, along with the smaller towing capacities, so that is something to think about as well.

I love my class C; it does everything we want & need for the type of camping we do (3-4 day trips, often boodocking, towing toys; either PWCs or ATVs). If, on the other hand, I was full-timing, I would likely be driving a class A for the higher storage, towing, and "living" capacities.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Though I am interested in GVWR issues and am also interested if anyone here fulltimes or travels for an extended time (say 4 plus months)? If so, how do you like it?

Been living in my 19' class b for over a year. I do have a room in my daughter's s&b to keep some worldly possessions but other than that I'm good to go. Might be a little "cozy" with a family or even a "D?" but since I'm by myself it's working out fine.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #42

I have owned both Class A and Class C motorhomes. I like the way the front two seats in the Class A turn around and become part of the living area. Also like the larger front windows, larger 19.5" wheels, and more basement storage. But what I miss most about our class C in the over head buck. They are huge beds and you don't have to make them up every day so you have a place to sit. Class C are better for families with more then two kids.

We are seriously thinking about buying a Class A with an over head bunk in it like the Class C's have, That would be the perfect RV for us having two kids. 12year old boy and 7 year old girl (they can't share a bed anymore)

Tags
class c