Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #99

No one is saying you made up the term. We are all familiar with it. The industry made it up as a sales gimmick. It's not an accurate description.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #100

So what people are saying is just because a manufacturer calls his unit a B+ that manufacturer is WRONG and anyone who calls that vehicle a B+ is wrong because the "industry" says the b+ does not exist. Think about that and the nay sayers should realize they are WRONG.
B+ does exist and soon the "industry" will catch up.
It's like the "industry" telling the auto manufacturers that the "SUV" does not exist, of that the "mini van" does not exists, of the "crossover" does not exist. These should just all be called CARS.
Come on people wake up, the manufacturing is changing and the "industry" is slow to recognize the B+, but that doesn't make the B+ non existent because the holy grail (RVIA) doesn't "define the B+....yet everyone else on the planet calls a specific size RV a B+ and everyone on the planet knows what a B+ is when they call it that.
So for those of you that want the "powers that be" to sanction the B+ - go ahead an wait, for the rest of us ....if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, it's a DUCK, that simple.

OH, and here's a picture of my B+

kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
So what people are saying is just because a manufacturer calls his unit a B+ that manufacturer is WRONG and anyone who calls that vehicle a B+ is wrong because the "industry" says the b+ does not exist. Think about that and the nay sayers should realize they are WRONG.
B+ does exist and soon the "industry" will catch up.
It's like the "industry" telling the auto manufacturers that the "SUV" does not exist, of that the "mini van" does not exists, of the "crossover" does not exist. These should just all be called CARS.
Come on people wake up, the manufacturing is changing and the "industry" is slow to recognize the B+, but that doesn't make the B+ non existent because the holy grail (RVIA) doesn't "define the B+....yet everyone else on the planet calls a specific size RV a B+ and everyone on the planet knows what a B+ is when they call it that.
So for those of you that want the "powers that be" to sanction the B+ - go ahead an wait, for the rest of us ....if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, it's a DUCK, that simple.

OH, and here's a picture of my B+

That is a Class C. It's built on a chassis cab. If the body was made by the OEM who provided the chassis, then it would be a Class B and you could call it anything else in addition to that if you desire to do so.

When I first started researching RVs I don't believe that the B+ designation was in use. So I think that is a sales gimmick with a negative connotation.

You are also incorrect, as are many people in using the term cars to refer to trucks. In fact... the term CAR TECHNICALLY does not apply to road going vehicles and is used incorrectly.

A CAR is part of a train which does not itself have a propulsion engine. Cars are towed by locomotives. Just as people for some strange reason refer to the IC engines (ICE) mounted on the transom of small boats as MOTORS, and virtually all other uses of ICE as engines, language is often imprecise and misleading.

By the way, SUV are trucks. Crossovers are also trucks. The difference between and SUV and a Crossover, similar to RV classes, is what type of chassis they are built on. An SUV is built, typically, on a ladder frame truck chassis (like all RV motorhomes that I am familiar with). A Crossover is generally smaller, because it is typically built on an automobile chassis which is unit body construction. Crossovers don't have the SEVERE roll over problems that SUVs do as a result.

You are also wrong to suggest that people know what a B+ is supposed to be. It's NOT an official designation. I've seen it applied to Class C RV of both the cabover and non-cabover design.

Your RV is NOT a van conversion so it is not a Class B, it's a Class C. And NO the B+ does not look like a duck and doesn't handle like one either. Ergo, a B+ is not a duck, or a Class C RV.

A Winnebago ERA is a Class B. The Trend, while quite small, is a Class C. Your RV is of the same basic style as the Trend. Because of it's smooth front cabover, some DEALERS would try to call it a B+. That doesn't make them correct. And the "manufacturers" who do so are just being sloppy.

You can call your RV whatever you want to. If you call it a B+ then I expect to see something like a Mark III conversion VAN, not a factory built home on a chassis cab.

This discussion should be a dead horse by now. No ONE EVER changes their opinion when discussed in a forum in any event. If you really want people to know what type of RV you have, because of the inaccuracy of the B+ designation, you would be better off showing them a photo.

There is no benefit to describing your RV as a Class B+ when all that does is convey the WRONG impression to many people who do read the RVIA documentation. Since this is the industry talking, some people would think they are the authoritative source.

If you know automobile dealers, they are often very sloppy with the way they talk, act, etc. So are the people who are in power sports, etc. etc.

Since a Canada Goose looks like a Duck, walks like a Duck, and sounds like a Duck, some people would call it a Duck. That doesn't make it so. The basic difference between a Duck and a Goose is size and style.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #102

Car is a short term for Carriage. A rail car is not the only type of carriage.

A 'horseless carriage' was named automobile, meaning it moves itself.

A rail locomotive is often called an Engine, as is a Fire Truck. But certainly they are not 'engines' (primve movers) as we typically think of them.

Very few SUV's are built on truck/ladder frames anymore. In fact the term SUV began with the Jeep Cherokee which was of a uni-body construction.

SUV, Station Wagon, Crossover, Sport Coupe, Van (caravan). These are all marketing terms.

No one argues that a Sedan (also named for an ancient conveyance) built body-on-frame compared to a Sedan build on a unibody, is not a Sedan.

An Ambulance can be built on a cutaway van cab-chassis or a van or a truck or a station wagon. But guess what? They are all called ambulances.

Once the public adopts a term/desctiption/nom-de-pleur for an object, then that's what it is.

There is not a lawyer or court of law anywhere (in the USA at least) that would hear a case where someone tried to sue another over the usage of Class-C or Class-B+. you would be laughed away and probably fined for wasting the legal system's time and resources.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #103

YOU ARE THE ONE CONVEYING THE WRONG IMPRESSION. Just bc u want it to be called a C-, that wasn't it. YOU are not representing the industry AT ALL. Nexus has both B+ and C which I posted here, so how do you account for that. Mine says B Plus right on it and you still argue it isn't. Don't debate something you are ignorant of. The industry called them B+, it is only now bc there are less of them, they sometimes get lumped in with C's. Did you read my links. And Why does mine say B+ ON IT. His is a B+, mine is a B+. The Nexus B+ is only 10'4, their C 11'3. They are different so stop telling us we are giving the wrong impression bc u don't like the name. Obviously YOU ARE GIVING THE WRONG IMPRESSION saying they are not a B+ but a C. They are lower, have no overhead bunk and drive better and get better gas mileage. Accept it, you are wrong. How many mpg does your C get, hmmm, so there is a difference. People that are ignorant of the B+ shouldn't put themselves out there as experts on them. I think people that own them would know.
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #104

C stands for Cutaway chassis. Check out the Ford and Chevy truck info.
RVIA does not have a B+ classification.
B+ is a selling term by some.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
No one is saying you made up the term. We are all familiar with it. The industry made it up as a sales gimmick. It's not an accurate description.
Have NEVER been a sales gimmick. Answer me something, how many mpg does your C get? Haven't answered that one have you. How tall is your C? Did you see the difference between the Nexus C and B+ on their link, they are different in height which makes a big difference to people, and have no overhead cab bunk. Did you look at the pic of mine where it says B Plus right on it?????????????????? Stop acting like you know something about a B+ when you know nothing about them at all.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #106

Serious ? for those who prefer Class C's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
C stands for Cutaway chassis. Check out the Ford and Chevy truck info.

RVIA does not have a B+ classification.

B+ is a selling term by some.

Exactly. There is nothing inherently wrong with coming up with sales terms to help differentiate models of cars, RV, etc.

I remember owning a 1999 Winnebago Rialta which looks very much like a B+ but Winnebago says it's a C based on how it was constructed. In fact to date Winnebago does not market anything as a B+ even though they do sell some very nice streamlined class C's.

Whatever the sales department decides to do to help move product is fine with me. What amazes me how some get their shorts in a wad over the topic.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #107

There was one manufacturer that used the term B+ When this style came out.
Than many others used it.
Guess Winnebago and some others never got the Notice.
The C and the B+ store on the same chassis. Just not all of us have a Rug Rat Room. Over the cab. That is where the Entertainment Center is.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Exactly. There is nothing inherently wrong with coming up with sales terms to help differentiate models of cars, RV, etc.

I remember owning a 1999 Winnebago Rialta which looks very much like a B+ but Winnebago says it's a C based on how it was constructed. In fact to date Winnebago does not market anything as a B+ even though they do sell some very nice streamlined class C's.

Whatever the sales department decides to do to help move product is fine with me. What amazes me how some get their shorts in a wad over over the topic.
The reason people get their "wad" over the topic, is because you are WRONG. You argue even when you are shown an RV with B Plus right on it, I mean who would do that? You argue with people that OWN THEM that know first hand the difference. You are acting like an expert on something you know absolutely NOTHING ABOUT. Again, they are small C's "hybrids" in that they have cut away chassis, but were called B+ to differentiate the difference of them being lower in height, with better gas mileage and no overhead cabover bunk. So there is a difference. Go to Nexus sight and look at the difference in their B+ and C and they clearly call them that. They were marketed for people that wanted more bells and whistles than a regular B and didn't quite need the size, overhead bunk, wanted better drivability, better mpg, than a regular C which stood not only for cut away chassis but CAB OVER BUNK. I'm putting this link again. Please read it. It explains it perfectly to some who are ignorant of this. How many mpg does YOUR C GET. So there is a difference. I will bet anything yours gets about 9 mpg. Yes they have a cut away chasis so are a hybrid of a C but DIFFERENT.
Advantages of a Class B+ motorhome:
  • Easy to maneuver and handle
  • Reasonably good gas mileage (12-16 miles to a gallon)
  • Optional use as an extra family vehicle
  • Easy to set up wherever you travel
  • Great towing ability
  • Fits in most home garages
Old 07-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscotty View Post
The reason is because you are WRONG. You argue even when you are shown an RV with B Plus right on it, I mean who in their right mind would do that? It's crazy. You argue with people that OWN THEM that know first hand. You are acting like an expert on something you know absolutely NOTHING ABOUT AT ALL. How do you account for mine saying B Plus right on it? Or the fact that it is lower in height, gets better gas mileage and has no overhead bunk. So there is a difference that is the point and why they were called something other than a B+. No one here denies they aren't closer to a C than a B, or that with the change in the industry sometimes they get lumped in as a C but they were called a B+. What you seem not to get, is that they are different than a C bc of what I have stated. They were marketed for people that wanted more bells and whistles than a regular B and didn't quite need the size, overhead bunk, wanted better drivability, better mpg, than a regular C which stood not only for cut away chassis but CAB OVER BUNK. I'm putting this link again. Please read it. It explains it perfectly to some who are ignorant of this.

If you are going to quote what one says you might at least respond to only what you quoted. Nothing in what I said could be considered wrong which was you opening statement.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you are going to quote what one says you might at least respond to only what you quoted. Nothing in what I said could be considered wrong which was you opening statement.
You have endlessly been saying that there is no such thing as a B+, even with someone who has B Plus right on their RV. They were marketed to people that wanted more than a regular B offers, but still lower, better mpg, easier to drive and maneuver than a regular C, with no overhead cab over bunk. Marketed to be something in between a B and a regular C, a hybrid form of a C. Also marketed more to a couple or a smaller family. There is a difference, that's all I was saying. Yes they are a form of a C but different and a real thing. Not a made up salesmen term. This will help educate you.
What is a Class B+ Motorhome
Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #111

Old 07-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #112

You apparently have me confused with someone else....

However, I followed your supplied link and have found others with a simple Google search to two or three that show other views. These would include RVIA (no mention of B+), Winnebago who builds motor homes that some call B+ but market them as C's, and other web sites that define Class C, Class B, Class A but make no mention of B+. RVIA website goes as far as stating the cabover bed is optional for class C's.

At the end of the day it makes no difference and certainly nothing to get irritated over. If your mh has a B+ stamped on it great. Your manufacturer decided to use the terminology to differentiate the model from the typical cabover designed class C's. I find this no different from the Super C designation being used to differentiate that type of cab is a great big diesel.

My opinion is that "They" in marketing at some manufacturer desired a way to differentiate their new streamlined class c mh from the older cabover designs. They knew that C- would be a non-starter and came up with B+. Similarly Thor has come up with a new term called RUV which is a small Class A. Folks are coming up with new marketing terms all the time.

It is confusing when sales people call a Winnebago product a B+ when the manufacturer calls it a C.

Tags
class c