Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Shock absorber choices??

Need to replace the shocks. I have searched this forum and the reviews are mixed on the Bilsteins and the Konis. The Konis FSD is not available for the chassis on my 1994 Callista Cove Class C with the E350 ford Chassis. Since they are the original shocks feel they ought to be replace after 18 years and 86,000 miles. Bought the Mh in Kansas Tue. and drove it back to Panhandle of Florida, arriving last night. This is my 8th motorhome over 30 years, and this one drives and handles about the best of all of them, even with the old shocks, the Kansas winds Tuesday, the trip down thru the Ozarks of Arkansas and the thru Little Rock in heavy traffic--so not replacing shocks because of handling, but there were some rough roads and I did feel them. Since I don't need shocks to improve handling, do I go with just any new shock to improve the ride--Monroe, Bilstein, or Koni. Is their an argument to be made for any one of them? An argument against would be cost of the Koni, about twice as much as the Monroe and even more than the Bilstein. A quote from Koni was $144 for their shock and Bilstein from eshock is around 65 dollars. Don't know about Monroes. Suggestions/comments welcomed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with the Bilsteins.

They know how to build shocks for RV's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

If you go with the Bilsteins make sure they are a heavy duty shock as they also make OEM replacement shocks.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

Bilsteins and KYBs on back order everywhere I checked. Someone said they were retooling. Got a trip planned-need shocks so went with Monroe Gas Magnum which I pick up today at local store. We'll see how they work. Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #5

I went with Bilstein's in my 91 28' E350 - happy with the shocks and glad I didn't install myself as the installer was cursing to get the old front ones off.

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I am having bilsteins installed this week. I have good reviews .
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
the new shocks really stopped the front to back and side side bounce we were having, a great improvement. we still have push from tractor trailers and wind, and we plan to consider what we may do to reduce it
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtime2 View Post
the new shocks really stopped the front to back and side side bounce we were having, a great improvement. we still have push from tractor trailers and wind, and we plan to consider what we may do to reduce it
Thanks for the update !!