Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Shoreline power not charging the house battery or power the main lights!

Hello, I recently became the owner of a 2005 Jayco Greyhawk31ss that won't charge the battery or run the main lights in the living space while plugged in to shoreline power. I have a 30 amp circuit to plug into at my house and I have checked and I have power to the converter and 12volts DC coming out of it.

I checked the circuit breakers and they are fine. Seems like the transfer switch might be the problem, but don't know how to test to confirm.

I do have a main disconnect switch by the door, I tried switching it off and on, but don't know if it does anything.

Any ideas? Any directions would be greatly appreciated!
bsgrove73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

It's not the transfer switch. That switches AC line between generator and the power cord. You have a 12 VDC problem or two.

I would also be checking the voltage on both sides of the storage relay (salesman's switch). IF there is a drop across the relay then it is open or broken. Start by toggling the switch and see if the relay trips so the voltages are equal on both big terminals. If so it should be charging voltage and half your problem is solved. If the relay does not trip figure out why. If you hear the clunk and the voltages do not match it's the relay.

If you solve the charging issue and do not have lights start looking at the fuses in the distribution panel usually co located with the AC breakers. That might fix the lights.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Hello! First, always remove all power sources prior to engaging another. Otherwise the contacts in the transfer switch become burned and carboned up. This can prevent them from automatically switching to the new power source.
Before spending money, try a backyard mechanics trick. Bang on the switch cabinet with a rubber mallet or other soft type thing while connected to shore power only. I just used my fist to bang the cabinet like my fist was a mallet, it worked, and my transfer switch has worked as designed ever since. Of course that was the last time I ever connected to 2 power sources at the same time.

I can't guarantee that will work for you, but it doesn't cost anything to try, other than a bruised hand if you hit too hard.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Have you checked the battery voltage ? You said it's not being charged, how do you know that ? If that main disconnect switch by the door is off, you will not have power to the lights, or any other 12Volt powered items.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
YC1

Welcome.

Do the interior lights come on when you start the engine? Normally this will parallel your coach battery bank.

As suggested, you should see the same voltage on the output of your converter at the coach battery terminals.

If you find this so then it is likely associated with the switch operation next to the door. This is a common problem

With the engine off, toggle that switch and listen carefully for a click somewhere else. Have someone help you chase the component if you do hear a click.

If you do NOT hear a click, you need to find all of your fuse blocks and check for a blown fuse. If you have the owners manual it should have them listed.

Take some pictures and post them here. We can show you how to post them easily. Take them in very low resolution to keep the size down.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:05 AM   #6

Hello, first thanks for all the quick responses.. I believe I mislead you guys, when I said the main lights wouldn't work, I meant to say that they were dim and not bright like I would expect when it's plugged in. So this morning before heading to work, I wanted to try some of your suggestings. So I went out to the Motor home and unplugged it from the house. I turned on the lights inside and they were very dim. Plugged it back into the house and turned the lights back on and they remained the same so I'm assuming it's not getting the power from the house. Still getting 12 - 13 from the converter. I then focused my attention to the switch by the door, if I toggle it up, I hear nothing and the switch doesn't stay up, and nothing changes to the lights. I ran out of time this morning, so will take the switch out and throw a tester on it and report back.

How does that switch suppose to work? Where's the Solenoid for this cutoff? Somewhere around the generator / battery compartment??

I did happen to find a solenoid under the hood mounted on top edge of the engine compartment, have no idea what that one is for..
Old 06-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

FWIW as in I don't have your unit. The general layout is the positive lead of the battery goes to a can type relay (solenoid) mounted on the frame within a few feet of the batteries when you raise the step. That puts the switch wiring, the batteries and the relay all close to each other. The batteries have to be charged high enough to power the relay. IF you have 12 V or so at the battery the relay should work.

If I was trouble shooting the unit the first thing I would do is check the microwave. IF the clock panel lights up you have 120 AC and the transfer switch is passing power. Then it becomes a 12 VDC problem.

With a 12 V problem find the can by the batteries. If it is easy to get to unplug the camper and measure each big terminal to ground. IF you have power on both sides the relay is closed. Note the voltage. Plug in the unit. If the voltage stays the same the converter is not working. If the voltage goes up then your problem is bad batteries or dirty contacts in the wiring. Check for a voltage drop between the chassis and negative battery post. Also check between the post and clamp on all terminals. Any measurable drop indicates a dirty contact.

If the relay is not working check that there is 12 VDC applied to one of the small terminals. The other terminal goes to ground. That terminal might be internal so not obvious. You can bypass the relay with a heavy clip lead or by moving both heavy wires to the same terminal.

If none of this works come back with more results and somebody will have more answers. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Did you ever check the level in the batteries? Are they the batteries that came with the coach? This might not be the problem but worth looking at.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #9

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you.. Thanks to your suggestions, I was able to find the culprit.. On my motor home, the disconnect relay is behind the battery slide out tray. When I pulled out the battery to check the voltage it was at 12.5. Upon looking around, saw the relay and then had my son hit the switch by the entry door.. Nothing... So I crawled up in there and pulled out the one 5 amp fuse and sure enough, it was blown. So I swapped it out and had my son hit the switch again and a loud click was heard.. So now when I plugged it in and checked the battery voltage it was up to 13.3.. So it's charging.. I can't thank you enough. You guys are awesome.. Have a great weekend..
Old 07-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #10

Well, I may have spoke to soon.. I went to turn the Fridge on this morning and checked the battery status on the control panel and to my surprise it was down to the 1/3, I was expecting a full charge. So I guess I will spend some quality time with a volt meter tonight.. I guess I will start with unplugging the rig, check the voltage at the battery and then plug it in and hopefully see a increase like I did last night. then look for dirty connections I guess.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

Are your interior lights working and bright ? Has that fuse blown again ? The monitor panel could be giving you a false reading. Good luck .
Old 07-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
YC1

If that relay will still clunk when toggling the switch, measure each large wire connected to it. They should be the same voltage when it is engaged. If not, the contacts are not working.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

Problem solved.. This weekend, I tore into it and pulled out the converter that was under the bed in the back.. Found a mouse nest back there and when I got the converter out, found both 30 amp fuses blown.. What it looks like happened, is that mice got in there and made a nest and pee'd all over back there all over the converter.. So I cleaned it up, blew compressed air in it and got all things cleared up, replaced the fuses and it has been working ever since. thank you!!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #14

If that is not a multistage converter, such as the Progressive Dynamics units, you might consider replacing it. Your batteries will like you for it.

Charles

Tags
battery, charging, light, lights, power