Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

SHORT 1980 LAZY DAZE with Dodge 360 V8???

I've located the above little LAZY DAZE Class C that is only 14 feet from the rear edge of the cab's doors to the front edge of the rear bumper, on a farm near Kerrville, TX.
It has a DOUBLE bed over the cab, a "good running" 360 CI V8 Dodge engine with (rebuilt) automatic transmission & good/serviceable tires. The total mileage is about 60,000 miles.

The price is just 1,000USD, there is no sign of water leaks anywhere, everything seems to work fine and it seems to be a "convenient size" for weekending for a couple & pulling our 1965 Stamas 16-foot outboard boat/trailer.

So, 2 questions:
1. From what point to what point do you measure a Class C?
(I don't see a 14' or even an 18' coach in Lazy Daze literature. OR is it MEASURED from bumper to bumper?)
and
2. Does anyone know anything about this particular 1980 Class C?

THANKS, satx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #2

Different manufacturers, did measure their units differently.
Bumper to bumper was fairly common, but some measured just the living area, front bunk to the rear bumper.
No model number on the weight sticker?
I don't know anything about the coach work on that unit , but I worked for a Dodge dealership, with 2 class C manufacturers in town in 1980 and can answer questions on the chassis; if you have any.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
It sounds like a 1980 Lazy Daze M-18 - below is the a picture of the layout for this model - if it matches then that is what you have

Click image for larger version

Name:	LazyM-18.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	71652

for the money it would be hard to say no if it is good condition - have a mechanic look it over - sears used to have a pre-buy inspection years ago for around 50 bucks do not know if they still do it.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

Skip426; GunnyClark,

THANKS for the response, Gents. = Information/advice appreciated.
(I have a competent/professional millright, who works for me part-time, that has "gone over" the rig from bumper to bumper & gave the motor/transmission/chassis components/appliances/furnace & AC a clean bill of health BUT he knows ZILCH about the coach portion of the rig.)

After further inspection, this seems to be a 1980 Lazy Daze M-18 that was "custom decorated" by a company in Modesto, CA (according to a document that we found during the inspection in the "wardrobe") for "Mr. & Mrs. R. A. Tooney".
(For one thing, the coach now has a double, rather than a queen-size, bed over the cab & nicer quality cabinetwork than is usual for a MH.)

yours, satx
Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Yeah, the 18 footer. There were two versions if I recall. One with the rear dinette and the front lounge. Lazy Daze are well built and the old ones are starting to be collectable.

For that price you can't go wrong. If it was local to me I would snap it up.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #6

wblynch,

THANKS for your input. - I believe that we'll buy it, as it will fit our needs for a "weekend hang-out", pull the boat AND (as it's over 25 years old) can be registered for 12.oo a year.

yours, satx
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
you will now be what is called Hip (hipster) with a classic RV towing a classic boat
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #8

GunnyClark,

Well, I don't know about that BUT really I just couldn't resist a BLUE/WHITE 1965 STAMAS SPARTAN V-18 on a nice Gator trailer that just needed new seats & a pair of 1965 OB motors AND that was built the year that I graduated from HS.
Then I needed a tow vehicle that we could sleep in on weekend fishing trips to the Gulf Coast, so I started looking for a Class C to pull it, thus the M-18.

yours, satx
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

How about posting some photos so we can enjoy seeing a classic LaZy DaZe?

Oh, and you might want to check out the Vintage RVs section,
Old 08-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Satx - enjoy the fruits of your labor - and post pictures the first time you take them out together
Gunny
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #11

wblynch; GunnyClark,

WILCO.

First it DESPERATELY needs a through general cleaning, as well as new curtains & some routine maintenance. - Once that's complete, I'll get a friend to take/post some interior/exterior photos of the little rig.

yours, satx

Tags
dodge