Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Should I wax the roof?

We are the new owners of a "05" Winnebago Aspect. It has a fiberglass roof & we would like to know if anyone waxes the roof. This is the first fiberglass roof we have had & don't know if it should be waxed or not. Would appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of people here use an annual coating of mop-n-glow. I just tried it last month and am really pleased with how it looks. I will continue to watch for a while but a lot of folks swear by it.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey I like the Mop and Glow idea---I'll give it a try and see how she goes. I wax mine---basically once per year---on my hands and knees!!!!! It always looks like it needs it even though I cover my rig in storage.

I'm glad I do it and my roof looks fine after nine years as does the coach which gets waxed by me at least once per year.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds fairly easy. Afterwards we plan on the 303 spray. In FL we need some protection from the uv rays.
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a rubber roof but my concern with waxing is I have to walk around up there from time to time and frankly I'd rather not slip off. It's the one part I do NOT wax.

(In fact I was up there today.. Routine spring cleaning of the air conditioners, nothing special though one of 'em did take a bit more cleaning due to some bult up crud on the fan itself.. One screwdriver, One brush, One pair of pliars, job done.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Caution is the by-word when on the roof. Every time I go there I am particularly mindful of every step and concentrate. That's why the mop and glow suggestion resonates with me---with a mop you ccould stay centered on the roof and get the job done.

Good you brought that up.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have been using gel gloss, works great, but, it's a lot of work. I like the mop and glo idea.
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All I have ever done for the roof is to scrub it with Spic-N-Span or Simple Green, once or twice a year as well as check for leaks and reseal as needed. I do not care if it shines, no one sees it but birds and rigs taller than us.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Mop & Glow on our fiberglass roof. Clean it first and let it dry. It keeps the black streaks that run down the sides at bay for a while.

Yes use extreme caution anytime you are up there but more so after applying any wax type stuff. Start at the front and work your way back to the ladder of course.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wax on Wax off
Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will add, If (Actually WHEN) I get around to finishing my ham radio install on this house I'll have a luggage rail or goat rail on each edge of the roof.. I have one now on the driver's side.. Ok, so it's not really a luggage rail, it's about a 45 foot "long wire" antenna" (the other side will be 10 15 and 20 meter dipoles housed in PVC) but it does let you know when you are close to the edge.

But that is my rig.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
All I have ever done for the roof is to scrub it with Spic-N-Span or Simple Green, once or twice a year as well as check for leaks and reseal as needed. I do not care if it shines, no one sees it but birds and rigs taller than us.

Ken
This little roof of mine I'm gonna let it shine--------
Sure thing ---I think I'm preventing oxidation--but that's just me. I have a friend that still cannot get over the fact that I WAX MY ROOF------WHY? he says and laughs. (with friends like that-----)

Besides the birds in my cul d sac talk and my neighbor can see my roof from his bathroom window----he's on the Homeowners board.

So maybe your roof will last 50 years; mine 55-------who knows?

Now is it potato or potahto---I forget?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #13

We always have our roof waxed when we get the coach waxed in Mexico. If you park under trees and in humid climate the mold grows and it's much easier to clean if it's waxed once a year. In Mexico I paid them $100 to wash and hand paste wax the coach, roof, car, and motor cycle.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I always wax the roof - especially just before going into storage. I have no idea if this will make my roof stay "healthier" than if i didn't, but I sure hope so. Also - it keeps me out of the local bars for the day

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote