RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

Slide Problem

We got along for 12 years with 2 RVs without slides.

I always said, "ALL Slides ARE a problem or WILL BE a problem".

Then we figured because we are spending more time in one place, we need a slide, so... we got an RV with a slide.

It is a 2013 Coachmen Freelander 29QB.

The last time we were out, we tried to put the slide out and the front top corner wouldn't go. While the switch was pressed, I PUSHED hard on the front top corner and the slide went out fine.

Being an engineer, I suspected that I knew what the problem was. I went out and looked and I was correct.

I've got a friend with a mill, so I think that I can cut the tooth pattern in short piece of stainless and after cutting off the damaged portion of the rack, bolt the new piece to the wall.

Anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Tim

Healeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always wondered about the side pull, I have been lucky in 25 years I have had 4 rv's with a side or slides, all of them had the old power gear rack and pinion setup from the bottom, had one Monaco that had a broken teeth on the pinion gear, replaced myself after searching and getting the correct gear.

avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not buy a newer one with the cable pull, way too cheap, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Current RV is a 07 Fleetwood tioga 31m with 2 slides, both power gear driven.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 AM   #4

I would just replace the whole rack with a new one, I think it might be hard to line up and patch it. If you don't fix it your motor is going to skip and get out of sync. Then you will have a real problem. If you eat up that gear sprocket on the motor it's going to cost you more then the rack itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
We got along for 12 years with 2 RVs without slides.

I always said, "ALL Slides ARE a problem or WILL BE a problem".

Then we figured because we are spending more time in one place, we need a slide, so... we got an RV with a slide.

It is a 2013 Coachmen Freelander 29QB.

The last time we were out, we tried to put the slide out and the front top corner wouldn't go. While the switch was pressed, I PUSHED hard on the front top corner and the slide went out fine.

Being an engineer, I suspected that I knew what the problem was. I went out and looked and I was correct.

I've got a friend with a mill, so I think that I can cut the tooth pattern in short piece of stainless and after cutting off the damaged portion of the rack, bolt the new piece to the wall.

Anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Tim

gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I would just replace the whole rack with a new one,
Ok. How do I get the gear disengaged enough away from the rack to pull the old rack out and the new one in.

How do I access the rack mounting screws that are on the portion of the rack that is within the RV wall?

Tim
Healeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #6

I would replace the entire part. There are some videos on the internet on how to disengage the motor.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Ok. How do I get the gear disengaged enough away from the rack to pull the old rack out and the new one in.

How do I access the rack mounting screws that are on the portion of the rack that is within the RV wall?

Tim
This might helpClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-17-19-44-45.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	222934
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Instructions and repair kit: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...its-Manual.pdf
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While the rack (damage) maybe the entire problem, suggest you inspect all very, very closely, in case it is (something like) hanging on a screw/ bolt that was not properly driven or that has backed out. The rack damage maybe the RESULT, not the cause?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I would just replace the whole rack with a new one, I think it might be hard to line up and patch it. If you don't fix it your motor is going to skip and get out of sync. Then you will have a real problem. If you eat up that gear sprocket on the motor it's going to cost you more then the rack itself.
Not sure if what I see n the picture is actually a hole or tear above the slide.

Anyways I had a problem with my slide where it was missing and it wouldn't come out straight. A dealer friend came out and looked at it and found that the rail system on the wall was actually pulled out at the bottom causing it to miss a tooth every so often. After moving the rail over a quarter of an inch its been working fine. That was a year ago and probably about 200 times of it being slid in and out.
2Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
slide problem

I would also suggest,,, If you have the slide covers to check and make sure they are not binding or rubbing at the top. Most every topper/slide cover, over time becomes bent and it causes the roller to rub the side of the slide when opening and closing. I had problem with main slide not wanting to go out and I could push at the top of the slide while the wife pushed the slide button and could get it out. Ended up replacing both covers in Eugene Or. last Nov. problem solved.

porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide