Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
So disappointed

Three weeks ago we broke down on the highway returning home. One week getting it towed to a dealer that could work on it. Total tow approximately 110 miles. One week waiting to be looked at . Now fuel pump replaced, only to find it still acting up! It coded ( low fuel pressure at fuel rail.) (0 pressure at fuel rail when tested.) Now they say must be electrical ! WTH ! We have a wopping 1966 miles on this Unit! We have a 2019 Coachmen Leprechaun with 2017 Chevy Express 4500 6.0 liter . Just can not believe how it takes so much time to get nowhere!! Really frustrating!!!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you have it towed to a Chevy dealer or RV dealer?
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Did you have it towed to a Chevy dealer or RV dealer?
Towed to Chevy dealer by GM roadside assistance,that dealer couldn’t handle medium duty, so GM towed to authorized dealer where it is now.

Equinox Toad
Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On the bright side...... As failures go this seems like it will likely be fixed soon.
Are you FT'ing? If so, this might be a great time to take a trip some where warm and nice. Just trying to help you make lemonade out of lemons.
I'm afraid that with anything that's not owned by the masses slow/expensive service has become the norm. My close friend recently bought a motorcycle and on his first ride after trailering it home it stopped running. It's going on three weeks now waiting to get it back.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Three weeks ago we broke down on the highway returning home. One week getting it towed to a dealer that could work on it. Total tow approximately 110 miles. One week waiting to be looked at . Now fuel pump replaced, only to find it still acting up! It coded ( low fuel pressure at fuel rail.) (0 pressure at fuel rail when tested.) Now they say must be electrical ! WTH ! We have a wopping 1966 miles on this Unit! We have a 2019 Coachmen Leprechaun with 2017 Chevy Express 4500 6.0 liter . Just can not believe how it takes so much time to get nowhere!! Really frustrating!!!
Unusual breakdown. I am shopping for a class C. That chassis, a 6.0 w/Allison trans. If such a combination is still made is one of my considerations. THANK YOU for your post. If not too much trouble please keep us updated.

I am not finding the 4500 offered much in CA. Mainly outside of CA now.
LongWayToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good news picking our Dannyboy up tomorrow ! They finally found the problem. Seems they found a piece of metal in the fuel line that was restricting the fuel flow . The are saving their find for me. So glad they found it !

Equinox Toad
Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow glad they found that now while it was still under warranty. Can't imagine what it would have cost you later on down the road.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Good news picking our Dannyboy up tomorrow ! They finally found the problem. Seems they found a piece of metal in the fuel line that was restricting the fuel flow . The are saving their find for me. So glad they found it !
Congrats on the fix completion. That sounds like some experienced mech detective work. A positive mention perhaps for that shop?

Question; does your unit have an Allison trans? If not what is it?
LongWayToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

Funny you mention your friends motorcycle. Mine was acting up and I was sure it was the fuel system. The mechanic thought it was electrical. I had him rebuild the carburetor but it kept recurring. Finally, after 3 returns, I ordered a new carburetor. While waiting for the carburetor, the mechanic returned to his first thought and replaced the ignition switch. Voila! Problem solved! Cancelled the carb and apologized for second guessing him.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:29 AM   #10

I'm glad you had a resolution and something to remember.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
Funny you mention your friends motorcycle. Mine was acting up and I was sure it was the fuel system. The mechanic thought it was electrical. I had him rebuild the carburetor but it kept recurring. Finally, after 3 returns, I ordered a new carburetor. While waiting for the carburetor, the mechanic returned to his first thought and replaced the ignition switch. Voila! Problem solved! Cancelled the carb and apologized for second guessing him.
To highjack this thread...... lol

Our motorcycle saga continues. Supposedly a week ago it was a bad wire but now it wasn't the wire and it's the computer....... three weeks and counting.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well they needed the piece of metal, so I took a picture of it. Not sure where it came from , but glad it’s outa there!! It looked like maybe 3/8 diameter. Drove back home , about 50 miles and “knock wood” ran great ! Going to go on a couple hundred mile trip for shake down. Then in a few short weeks head south !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8A4FBD0-DD16-46DF-A3BD-862A6D0522AF.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	223110  

Equinox Toad
Old 10-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
In 2013, prior MH was 2000 36 ft Diesel...Did an oil change and this metal cap came out with the oil. Cummins tech said best guess was a metal plug from when the engine was built... "probably not important."
Very reassuring.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote