Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
I am certainly not an expert but we also had the "limp mode" experience. Just an FYI...there are typically two fuel filters on a diesel coach. Replace the easy one first and see how that works and if your problems persist...replace the one they refer to as the banana filter of which sometimes is hidden and not as easy to replace.

Again...I am only the DW so my pardon my lack of terminology!
Only one on the Mercedes diesel. It's under the air cleaner.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #16

Well this is turning into a nightmare .Rv guy that never called back until 3pm yesterday now is telling me that the Generac I have has issues and needs to be overhauled all I heard was something about sticking brushes after he opened his mouth I was in shock. So I got on the phone with Dan who is a service rep at Coachman well that was a waste of time as he tells me he has never heard of the limp mode condition and knows nothing about my generator very starnge. So I called Generac and found a certified service center 7 miles away going to give them a shot see what happens.
Mystictravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #17

You have two issues. You have a problem with your MB motor and your Generac generator. You have to deal with whoever can fix those two unrelated issues, neither of which can be fixed by Coachmen or Lazy Days. Don't waste your time with them, unless you have some kind of warranty. You said you're upset with having problems so soon. The coach might be new to you, but it is 6 years old. Best of luck.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

I feel your pain.... My husband and I had issues with the lack of acceleration last summer and it took us three "diesel" service centers to get to the root of the problem which was the "banana" filter of which was shoved up under the chassis and completely hidden by wires. It was only due to the advice we received on iRV2 and my persistence that the filter was finally located and replaced. The service center apologized but they also said in all of their years in business they never saw a filter hidden the way ours was.

Thank goodness we have a full bumper to bumper warranty in addition to the service center scaling back on their labor charges for their oversight the first time in!

Hang in there... it's frustrating but you will sort it out.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #19

Like others have said, you have 2 different problems. I have that engine in a MB suv with 82k on it. They are great engines if you give them good care. They will go into "limp" mode for the slightest thing as a protection. Maybe you got some fuel with water in it. Find an indy shop that services MB. Don't go to a dealer unless it's warranty work. They will gouge you. Some tips I've learned:
Make sure the oil used meets 229.51 MB specs.
Change it every 7-8k unless it calls for shorter OCI's.
Change fuel filter every 20k.
Keep clean air filters in it. Mine says every 30k but I pulled them at 10k and they were filthy. Dirty filters will suck more oil thru the pcv into your turbo intake system.
Don't use bio-diesel. Use additive in ever tank. I use Service Pro Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle in every tank. Available at Walmart, it makes the engine run smoother and quieter and keeps the intake clean.
Change the trans fluid every 30-40k and have a MB mechanic do it.
There are MB Sprinter forums where you can learn a lot. There are a lot of Sprinter trucks running around with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. When they say to use MB spec fluids, do it. They are not BS ing you.
While it sounds like a lot, it's not that bad. Modern diesels are a differnt animal and if you are vigilant about their care, they will run great.
I know that "limp" mode freaks you out the first time. Good luck.
loneryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #20

I have a Winnebago View but most Sprinters are setup the same. In the compartment where the external cord is there should be a plug in for the cord to plug in to the connection to the generator. You should be able to have power even if the GFI is bad. It only connect to some outlets. You should have power to the microwave etc. The check engine light could be a number of things. If you have a limp home effect it means whatever it is it needs immediate attention vs just a light which you can drive until you can get it fixed. A fuel filter could definitely be your problem. You need to make sure they put in a German model OEM type not some american brand which could disintegrate and ruin the engine. I would find a Freightliner dealer or if it is a Dodge chassis a Dodge dealer who services Sprinters. We have a web site for Views and Navion which can give you great info on the Sprinter care and feeding. They are a great chassis but need to be serviced by a trained Tech.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion/info
irish65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #21

So after many hrs of research and phone calls I have found out some great info. The biggest is of which if the svc center does not have a MB link computer don't waste your time or money. I found a certified MB service center and have made an apt with them to take a look at my limp mode issue. In the mean time I have changed the fuel filter and air filter both looked orig also changed the oil mb1 turbo diesel truck oil. The generator has not acted up since day we got home I have been starting it everyday with out the breaker being on and letting the genny balance and then flip breakers so far so good Thinking about installing a 3 pole switch. Keeping my fingers crossed they will find something if not can't panic just going to deal with whatever comes up. Will update when I get the results. Thanks for all the great info it has helped tremendously.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #22

Sounds like things are starting to look up.
Haven't you driven it since changing the filter, since a lot of people have said that was one of the reasons for it going into limp mode.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First:
I could not find transfer switch
Actually you did, You said the cord was plugged into the generator outlet on the RV.. THAT OUTLET (Well technically the cord and plug) is your Transfer Switch.. You MANUALLY transfer the cord from Shore to Generator power.

Second: Lost all generator power: IF the Generator is still running then the first thing to check is the circuit breaker ON THE GENERATOR.

Can not help with the engine problem.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Sounds like things are starting to look up.
Haven't you driven it since changing the filter, since a lot of people have said that was one of the reasons for it going into limp mode.
I really hate that we are time limited on editing on this forum.
My second sentence should have Have you driven not Haven't you driven.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I really hate that we are time limited on editing on this forum.
My second sentence should have Have you driven not Haven't you driven.
Yes 100 mile so far going out again today put some more miles on it it such an intermittent ting just have to drive and see.

The gen breaker 1st thing that was checked.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #26

Good and bad news went out driving this morning finally got it into limp mode after changing air fuel and oil. Called Tampa truck center and drove it there immediately without shutting it off or putting in park. They did an express write up and took it right in. The computer had a soft code for a failed egr valve. The bad news 1,100.00 to replace it. I can get the part for 325.00 and do it myself pay them 145.00 diagnostic fee or I have read they can be cleaned what do you guys think about cleaning it. I have a Good Sam war but ded is 500.00 and they don't take the war so I would have to pay out of pocket and get reimburse don't know how long that would take anyone have any experience with handling a warranty this way ?The other thing is why would the valve go bad so fast seems odd. Any one have any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would let them do repairs with a guarantee. Its going to cost at least $500 no matter what you do.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #28

After talking with Good Sam and going over the contract the egr valve is not a covered item of course it's not and 1,100.00 is out of the question. Trekked back to retrieve the coach and the svc advisor Nichole took care of me after I explained my situation she only charged me 25.00 for diagnosis not the 125.00 I signed for. The estimate was for 3.0 hrs in labor at 145.00 an hr and 525.0. in parts . Being a tech for many years I popped the hood expecting to see the valve buried and a pia to get out. To my joy it was right there in my face and took me all of 17 minutes to remove. I was surprised to find that it was clogged and the valve was stuck in the halfway position. There were a couple of videos on U Tube about cleaning them and after some further research on the sprinter forum I have found this to be a common problem and a flaw in the design. Going to get some Seafoam cleaner in the am and soak it clean it and reinstall will see what happens if it fails I have access to sprinter parts and my cost for the valve would be 325.00,200.00 less than the dealer.Will keep you posted.

Tags
need help