Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since the $500 ded didn't apply, DIY is great. Keep us informed.

40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #30
Mine was replaced by the previous owner. Bad fuel was probably the culprit. There is an EGR delete for these vehicles, Green Engineering I believe is the name of the company. They send you a tune for your ECM and it bypasses the EGR valve. I've read about it and apparently it increases HP and fuel mileage, it's not cheap though. Good luck with the cleanup but you still need to get that code cleared when you're finished.

Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #31
Originally Posted by Mystictravel View Post
Good and bad news went out driving this morning finally got it into limp mode after changing air fuel and oil. Called Tampa truck center and drove it there immediately without shutting it off or putting in park. They did an express write up and took it right in. The computer had a soft code for a failed egr valve. The bad news 1,100.00 to replace it. I can get the part for 325.00 and do it myself pay them 145.00 diagnostic fee or I have read they can be cleaned what do you guys think about cleaning it. I have a Good Sam war but ded is 500.00 and they don't take the war so I would have to pay out of pocket and get reimburse don't know how long that would take anyone have any experience with handling a warranty this way ?The other thing is why would the valve go bad so fast seems odd. Any one have any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Ask the MB service center if that Mobil 1 TDT oil is ok? I don't think it meets the MB spec and may shorten the life of you emissions system.
Get a code reader like this or a wired one. I have this one and it works well with my smart phone. Some don't work very well.

Bafx OBD2 Auto Scanner Code Reader OBDII 2 Scan Tool Clear Check Engine Light | eBay
loneryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #32
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Mystictravel View Post
After talking with Good Sam and going over the contract the egr valve is not a covered item of course it's not and 1,100.00 is out of the question. Trekked back to retrieve the coach and the svc advisor Nichole took care of me after I explained my situation she only charged me 25.00 for diagnosis not the 125.00 I signed for. The estimate was for 3.0 hrs in labor at 145.00 an hr and 525.0. in parts . Being a tech for many years I popped the hood expecting to see the valve buried and a pia to get out. To my joy it was right there in my face and took me all of 17 minutes to remove. I was surprised to find that it was clogged and the valve was stuck in the halfway position. There were a couple of videos on U Tube about cleaning them and after some further research on the sprinter forum I have found this to be a common problem and a flaw in the design. Going to get some Seafoam cleaner in the am and soak it clean it and reinstall will see what happens if it fails I have access to sprinter parts and my cost for the valve would be 325.00,200.00 less than the dealer.Will keep you posted.
For what it's worth, I would buy the 16oz cans of Seafoam and run it through the fuel tank about 2-3 times a year. Seems to do a very good job of keeping things clean. 1 can per 25gal of fuel is the usual ratio and Walmart is usually cheaper on price.
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:09 AM   #33
Update. Just wanted to let you guys know my issues have been resolved a 30 minute job of removing the EGR valve soaking it cleaning and reinstalling cured all of the symptoms the ck eng light even cleared itself while I was on the test drive. As soon as I can come up with the cash I am going to get the tune that Green diesel offers. This thing came to life with the egr working as it should so in the end saved 1.100.00 and have peace of mind back thanks to all that chimed in.
Mystictravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #34
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great news. looks like you got some very good experience and advise. Just remember to stay calm, and walk away from it for a few hours if you have to. With the help you got here and the experience you gained by calling and searching it looks like things worked out. This was a great thread and I liked the way you kept everyone informed of your progress. Great job, Mystictravel. and all that helped
Charlie & Diane Amato
2014 Thor Tuscany 40XE XTE DP
Ferndale, Arkansas
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the Mercedes Chasis (2014) we have 28K miles and have had 2 issues - DEF light needed reprogram & Wheel sensor went bad- (no Cruise or ABS)

i like the Ride, Feel, and economy. BUT, it is not a carefree Vehicle. I suggest you be very careful who you let put a wrench on it, and, be religious about fluids(specs) Filters (brand) and interval of change. Do not mix types of fluids and be sure all the fluids you use are approved by MB

Those Sprinters are really expensive when they break-and it is a long way between competent shops that can work on them.

Deny is offline   Reply With Quote

need help