Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

So disappointed need help

This is our second trip in our coach 2009 Coachman Freelander 3500 diesel 15000 miles we purchased in Dec. What a nightmare we lost all genny power with the start up once we set up camp breakers good fuses good shore cord plugged in to the coach 30 amp receptacle. No power and we were at a primitive site .I could not find a transfer switch would not have mattered anyway no where to get a new one. Then on the way home we lost engine power went into limp mode 5 times without setting a code or check eng light. We were 10 miles from home when it did it's thing again and then a check eng light came on. The eng will rev to 3000rpm and that's it 40mph max pull over stop eng restart everything fine .What an awful feeling to have I called Lazy Days and well you know the story it's yours fix it. They had the coach for 6 weeks after we bought for a brake noise I'm afraid to take it back. Just venting very disappointed to have problems already any ideas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #2

I believe there have been a number of threads on those engines going into limp mode.
I'd suggest you forget about Lazy Days for engine work, and find a shop to work on your MB engine. Find a shop qualified to fix your generator issues as well. Good luck.

Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystictravel View Post
This is our second trip in our coach 2009 Coachman Freelander 3500 diesel 15000 miles we purchased in Dec. What a nightmare we lost all genny power with the start up once we set up camp breakers good fuses good shore cord plugged in to the coach 30 amp receptacle. No power and we were at a primitive site .I could not find a transfer switch would not have mattered anyway no where to get a new one. Then on the way home we lost engine power went into limp mode 5 times without setting a code or check eng light. We were 10 miles from home when it did it's thing again and then a check eng light came on. The eng will rev to 3000 rpm and that's it 40mph max pull over stop eng restart everything fine .What an awful feeling to have I called Lazy Days and well you know the story it's yours fix it. They had the coach for 6 weeks after we bought for a brake noise I'm afraid to take it back. Just venting very disappointed to have problems already any ideas.
Mystictravel
What diesel engine do you have?
The maximum RPM of my 250hp Cat 3126 diesel engine, (as controlled by the governor), is 2500 RPM.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

I can't speak on why you have no power to your coach other than to check your breakers. If you have the MB 3.0 litre turbo diesel I can offer some advice. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? They are good for about 10000 miles. They are easy to change. It could be the EGR valve also and those are not cheap, but at 15K I doubt it's bad.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #5

One other thing on your generator. I have a 2009 Coachmen Prism which is similar to yours. I know with my generator I need to turn off the main breaker inside and then start the generator. I let it run for about two minutes and then I plug my shore power cord into the receptacle that that is on the outside that powers everything. Once that is done I flip the main breaker and wait for the microwave to beep letting me know I have power. There is also a breaker on the generator, check to make sure it is in the on position when your using it. I have the LP cummins onan.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

One more thing on brake noise, if your front brakes squeal occasionally this is normal for Sprinter disc brakes. Embarrassing but normal.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #7

I was going to suggest fuel filter as well
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
One more thing on brake noise, if your front brakes squeal occasionally this is normal for Sprinter disc brakes. Embarrassing but normal.
They squeal so load not funny.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #9

update

Ok guys so I am told that my generator does not have a transfer switch. The tech that came out says that it is a Generac system and my unit does not have one. I am going to call Coachman tomorrow and hope they can give me some direction. He is also telling me that because it does not have one the power has no where to go when something goes wrong. He has diagnosed the issue as a bad gfi in the bathroom and a weak breaker on the generator something I am having a hard time swallowing. He has 35 years experience and came recommended. He also says that because the system is set up this way it will cause the eng to go into limp mode also questionable. I guess I will see what happens and keep you updated he also has mentioned that the Generac systems are not of very good quality don't know my first one I feel a little smoke being blown my way but for now will see what happens.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
One other thing on your generator. I have a 2009 Coachmen Prism which is similar to yours. I know with my generator I need to turn off the main breaker inside and then start the generator. I let it run for about two minutes and then I plug my shore power cord into the receptacle that that is on the outside that powers everything. Once that is done I flip the main breaker and wait for the microwave to beep letting me know I have power. There is also a breaker on the generator, check to make sure it is in the on position when your using it. I have the LP cummins onan.
so do you run the genny while driving ?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #11

So sorry about your troubles. I am sure along with myself and many others here we have run the gamut on all kinds of issues related to engines and the coach itself.

My advise is to take a deep breath step away from it for a day and come go back to it a little more relaxed.

So much great information here on helping you troubleshoot your issues along with other sites. Once you get a few ideas start checking on them one by one.

I myself have been working on an engine issue since last summer and over the winter months have come up with a couple great ideas to check with advice from here in the forums.

Good luck!! Stay positive!
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Lots of people do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Ok guys so I am told that my generator does not have a transfer switch. The tech that came out says that it is a Generac system and my unit does not have one. I am going to call Coachman tomorrow and hope they can give me some direction. He is also telling me that because it does not have one the power has no where to go when something goes wrong. He has diagnosed the issue as a bad gfi in the bathroom and a weak breaker on the generator something I am having a hard time swallowing. He has 35 years experience and came recommended. He also says that because the system is set up this way it will cause the eng to go into limp mode also questionable. I guess I will see what happens and keep you updated he also has mentioned that the Generac systems are not of very good quality don't know my first one I feel a little smoke being blown my way but for now will see what happens.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lots of people do.
Mystictravel
RV generators DO NOT have a transfer switch.... but most, (not all), RVs DO.
The engine of a RV is NOT dependent on the 120V generator.
Whether your coach has a transfer switch or not WILL NOT effect the performance of the engine.

I suggest that you:
1.) Learn out how the 120V system in your coach is supposed to work.
2.) Replace the "bad gfi in the bathroom" and the "weak breaker on the generator".
3.) Work on your 2nd problem...(the engine limp mode).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #14

I am certainly not an expert but we also had the "limp mode" experience. Just an FYI...there are typically two fuel filters on a diesel coach. Replace the easy one first and see how that works and if your problems persist...replace the one they refer to as the banana filter of which sometimes is hidden and not as easy to replace.

Again...I am only the DW so my pardon my lack of terminology!

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help