Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't have the vintage your asking about nor the same motores but we get 7 1/2 - 8 mpg with our 8.1.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
National RV Owners Club
We go 'south' every winter...1000 miles down, stay 3/4 months and
1000 home, towing a Buick...anyway to go this far and home for a
week or so, would be a high price for gas per week...but the longer
we stay, the cheaper it gets...so if you can stay 'parked', for a longer
period...the cheaper per day it will be..A trend, is, 'leave your RV
stored, call RV park to put it on a lot when you need it'. Drive your
car home. No need for 'road insurance, gas, new tires etc.'.
GM 454Cu.In/Ford V10 about 428Cu.In I've had both, 454 more
'horse', gas mileage about same. Have a Great Day! gene

Gene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2000 Winnie Adventurer 35' w/V10. 8.1 to 8.3. Funny thing is she doesn't seem to know or care if the Jeep toad is back there or not, same results. The sweet spot where she and I are most comfortable is 58 to 60 mph. If we need to get there sooner we leave earlier not drive faster.

Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today
Steve & Cheryl w/3rd Crewmember Peanut, Our Deerhead Chiuaua
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U F53, V10 Gasser,Safe T Plus
2004 Wrangler Toad via Stowmaster 5000, BrakeBuddy Classic
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Well we have a 2011 32 ft class C with the Ford V10 towing 4Runner four down. I am happy if I see 7mpg. I think I need to slow down I run 65mph it seems like 60 might get me 1 or 2 mpg which this spring matters with the price of fuel.

Leaving east TN for south Fl next week so I am going to try 60 on cruise and see what I can do.

csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Kenny, I have a 31' C on a ford chasis,with the 460 in it. The overall is between 7 and 8 mpg. Only got 8 once. That was last trip in Feb. From all I talk to and read the V-10 seems to do much better.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
fuel mileage

As a newby at this I am both shocked and "so what" about RV mileage. We have a 2008 Georgetown 378 with the ford v-10, and since we have sold our home, it is pretty well loaded down with everything we need-can't go back and pick up some stuff we left at home! Add in the 2012 v-6 Jeep Overland toad we have (5000 lbs plus) and we find we do less than 7mph at whatever speed the roads are fit to drive-45mph or less over twisty Texas hill country roads and 75 today on I10 headed west to Fort Stockton(6.8mpg).

Our solution is to find a base and park for a while(10weeks at Canyon Lake) or maybe only 3-4 days while we do Big Bend National park. And we put the miles on our Jeep to go investigating.

Realize that we have a long way down to the south US from Saskatchewan and a long way back plus cross Canada and North to Alaska and Churchill Mb. will add miles big time and drive the cost up.

But my wife and I have worked seven day weeks for 50 yrs on the farm and now we aren't going to go halfway. Besides the money we save having no taxes,upkeep or utilities on a stick house other than the old farm house pretty well covers our cost of full timing.

Someday it will change, but you should have seen the fuel bills on the farm for just the "going to town(100miles+) vehicles. Count all those gone because now we can just drop down to the general store near every campsite.

Sure it is going to cost money, but realize you can plan smart and have that RV and all the fun that goes with it for a reasonable price, just might have to adjust a wee bit.

But that's what life is about, isn't it?
easy RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Did Chevy put the 454 in class C chassis?. I thought these were all small block, 350, engines. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by kennyb79 View Post
what kind of mileage do you get with your 90's class C motorhome...chevy 454 or ford v-8 or v-10? I'm in the market for a new to me motor home. I've never owned one before, my dad had an old 70's dodge years ago that we had a lot of fun in. so I'm looking at class C's in the 90's, (1991 to 1999 models) the trouble is ford went from the v-8 to the v-10 and from what I could read the mileage dropped considerably. we won't be fulltinmers, just out there to use it on vacation. with the price of gas the way it is, theres a big difference in cost between 8 and 11 mpg. Class A guys if you want to chime in give me your year/make/engine size...thanks
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
I've owned campers over the years, and I've owned a few conversion vans. I presently drive a suburban, nothing I've ever owned has gotten great gas mileage and I've never worried about it. I work 5 miles from home, and whenever I've vacationed I've taken off and tried not to worry about the cost much. My wife and I have decided to get an older motorhome, so that the kids and her will be a lot more comfortable while we travel. I don't have a huge budget, and we'll only be using it for vacationing so I won't let the costs of ownership get me down, at least I'm not staying in a motel anymore when I travel, and I'll have all the comforts of home with me while I drive around the country. I was curious about the mileage because the better the mileage, the better I'd feel about taking off and traveling more with it. I've given mileage estimates by a couple of people who owned MH and I thought if I posted the question to the masses on the forum I'd get a wider spectrum of answers. Thanks for all of your positive comments and replys. its nice to know that there is a great family of RVers that I can talke to and ask a variety of quetsions to. Thats what I love about the internet and forums like this....see you on the road!!!
kennyb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well Kenny, I feel we are in the same boat. We are retired but we just want to enjoy RV'ing and I refuse to let the price of fuel dictate what we do. At least we are trying to maintain that attitude. We will definitely go but there will be limitations. We don't have the ability to become F/T'ers .... unless we sell our home and I'm not totally convinced I'm ready to live out my days in a MH.

Anyway there are methods to maintain good mileage. Keep the speed 55-60 MPH's. On my class "C" I was already to install a vacuum gauge to monitor what I was doing at any given moment. We sold that before it got installed but we'll look into installing it on this MH.

Welcome to IRV2. You will have many questions as you begin this journey and trust me there are lots of people on here who can answer any and all of your questions. Enjoy.
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
National RV Owners Club
As for what engine they put where...as I read, the question was originally
gas mileage between Ford V8, V10 and GM454. I would not think a Class 'C',
would need a V10 or 454. (although V10s were put in Vans). Years ago, I
had a Ford 302, 5th wheel, and it was so overworked, very poor gas mileage.
I also pulled a 'pop up' with a Dodge Slant 6, Vapor lock was a serious problem
with these engines, which I finally cured by installing a 'knob adjustable fuel
pressure valve' in the gas line. It would run fine at 1 1/2#, hook on pop up,
and ok..After I stopped for Gas, and a couple miles down the road, no power,
stopped, set pressure to 2#, still weak, finally 2 1/2#, and all was well...does
this prove that not all gas is the same? With this thought in mind, and gas
prices and demand, as they are, do we really believe quality, (and not profit)
is really in the mind of producers. It all looks the same, when it comes out of
the hoses...have a 'great day' From someone that remembers 20 cent, hand
pumped gas...even Ethyl....Have a Great Day...gene
Gene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
2012 winnabago aspect, 29 ft, 60 mph, flat ground, no wind, no toed, 8mpg. I think you want to remember it is a life style, and fuel is a small price to pay for the freedom and hundreds of wonderful people you will meet. You may even join us in Mexico.
caisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #26
We have a 1995 Jayco Class C 29.5 footer. Ford E350 chassis, 460 V8 FI, E4OD trans. We normally drive 65 to 70 mph, pull a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer, and get in the 6 mpg range. Just returned from a 1,600 mile trip to Savannah (from central Ohio) and got 6.3 mpg. There are a lot of ups and downs on the route, however, and we had a strong head wind every day.

MPG is essentially directly rated to speed with these things -- you're pushing the proverbial barn door through the air. Towing the enclosed trailer makes virtually no difference in fuel economy for us. If I keep it glued to 65 and the road is pretty flat, I get about 7 mpg. I imagine those reporting 8 mpg are driving in the 55 to 60 mph range. With the Interstate speed limits being 65 to 70 mph in most states, I don't enjoy having cars and big rigs blast by me at 70-75 mph when I'm doing 20 mph less, nor do I think it's safe. Not to mention I don't have the patience to drive that slow.

BTW, our coach is for sale -- PM me if you're interested.
Hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #27
AAhh, here we go again !!This subject has been rehashed over and over again on this forum \> They all get about the same give or take a gallon or so....
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #28
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
My attitude is this... if you have to ask you probably shouldn't own an RV. It's not an inexpensive undertaking and 2 or 3 mpg between rigs is insignificant in the bigger picture.

Please keep the flames down! lol
Ouch! 2 or 3 mpg on a 5,000 mile trip is not insignificant in my opinion.

Let me loan you my flame suit.

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote