Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #57

Milage questions

We have a Pop-up but are looking to buy a Class C or Gasser A in the future (that is why I am here).
Milage is an important question and should be asked, often. Why don't the manufacturers improve the milage??? I think they could if they tried.
I think I read that they will have to in the future but if they use the Sprinter base milage to average it out, they might not improve anything.

Heidi

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #58

I have a winebago Mini 2005 on an E-450 chassis with a 6.8L V10. Has a Banks Power Pack installed. My overall average MPG as my gps says is 8.5 . I tow a motorcycle and spend half my time in the mountains. Never exceed 65 and run 55-60 on the highway.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've got a vintage 1989 34' Class A with a carburated 454 and I get 7.5 if I don't have headwinds.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #60

Engine tuneup

I just changed my sparkplugs, they really needed changing, and I am now looking forward to some good mileage. I'll report the mileage after our trip to the coast, about 190 miles.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #61

I was kind of curious of the same thing, because I have a Chevy 350. Never owned a motorhome before so I wouldn't know. I could tell you about travel trailers though.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
It varies by brand and State, but for the most part, no, premium does not contain ethanol.

The reg's usually say something along the line of "fuel must contain no less than X % ethanol by total volume sold'.

Usually that 'minimum' is 5% or 8%, but since the 'regular' gasoline is usually an E10 blend, the company's can still meet the requirement because they sell so little premium that in the grander scheme of things they are still above the minimum when you take it all together and then average it out.

If you're curious most gas company's websites will tell you if their gas is an Ethanol blend or not.
Thats not correct.. Ethanol is a HIGHER OCTANE than gas and thus is the most use and cheapest way to make 93 from 87...

People flying behind converted auto engines know this only too well..

In fact, the sticker that says 'up to 10%' is citing the Premium as more ethanol equals a higher octane. Usually regular contains 6% Ethanol while mid and high grade fuel contains 10%..

The amount of mileage decrease you are spouting is also wrong...
Old 04-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #63

So then ethanol engines are that much more efficient?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasol...lon_equivalent

Gasoline is 1.5 times the BTU of ethanol. I would see a large mpg drop, I should think.

Gotta love spell check.......
Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #64

I use to pull a 30 TT and would lose .5 mph with ethanol , drove the same rout many times with both fuels.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Not every RV owner is financially set for life. There are many who dearly want to move up from a TT or a tent and make a large sacrifice in doing so. We are in our 2nd motor home and neither of them were/are new ones. We took our time and found what we wanted within our price range along with a few other parameters. We also have concerns about the MPG's and the cost of fuel. What that means is we may change the number of times we go.

The question is simple enough and as I have said many, many times in a sports forum I am a member of if you don't like the topic then just avoid it. I'm always curious as to what others get for mileage and things they might do to increase it. I'm certainly not flaming you but I do suggest not blasting others. We are all not in the same financial world and the topic of discussion here is one that crops up all the time. Avoid it. Is it really that difficult?

Here! Here! And Very well said.

My experience is...

A chevy 454 get 7 to 8 miles per gallon whether its in a class C, class A, pickup, sedan or anything else. To break the code, listen to those who advocate slower starts and speed discipline. This is the only way to improve mpg. That is improve it to 8mpg.
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
So then ethanol engines are that much more efficient?
Gasoline gallon equivalent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gasoline is 1.5 times the BTU of ethanol. I would see a large mpg drop, I should think.

Gotta love spell check.......
Theres a reason dragsters run on alcohol.. Done right, an engine running pure ethanol will whup a gas one all day...

Not saying I like it in my gas.. but...
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #67

Do you believe Edmunds?
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ison-test.html
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thats using a Flex-Fuel vehicle.. not apples to apples.. Flex-Fuel's are geared (timed) more for gas...

Though we are talking about E10 (10% ethanol mix), NOT the E85 Edmunds tested..

10% ethanol has very little effect on your MPG or HP...

85% ethanol in a primarily gas engine just plain sux..

E85/E100 in an Ethanol engine simply rocks!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Thats not correct.. Ethanol is a HIGHER OCTANE than gas and thus is the most use and cheapest way to make 93 from 87...

People flying behind converted auto engines know this only too well..

In fact, the sticker that says 'up to 10%' is citing the Premium as more ethanol equals a higher octane. Usually regular contains 6% Ethanol while mid and high grade fuel contains 10%..

The amount of mileage decrease you are spouting is also wrong...
Wow, I sure hope you're not trying to suggest any pilot would knowingly fly something with fuel containing ethanol in it, it's about the best way there is to crash a plane.

As for the mileage numbers, they're pretty popular 'real world' numbers people are experiencing in their own vehicles, just look around, there's lots of folks claiming the same problems. It's a cumulative thing, you lose 'X' mpg from the alcohol being lower energy, then you lose 'X' more because of the water content, then you lose 'X' more mpg because of the cooler running engine, and on, and on and on.

As for the ethanol content of premium fuel, it's funny you say that, because etahanol is now one of the most expensive ways there is to raise octane ratings in blended fuel, things like Alkylate, Hydrocrackate, Isooctane, Reformate and Toluene are all a bunch cheaper and in most cases, by-products of the refining process which they would have to deal with anyways.

As for mandatory ethanol blending, there's (in most States) no such thing, for instance, in the case of the State of Oregon, they actually have a directory and map on the State's website that lists all the locations in that State where you can buy 'clear' gasoline, that is non-ethanol blend fuel.

In the title of the directory it says "Where to buy clear gasoline in Oregon. "Clear" gasoline is defined as a non-ethanol blended gas, generally produced with 91 octane and sold as a premium blend."

Wonder how they make premium fuel with no ethanol?

Same way everyone else does, with the above compounds.........
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Wow, I sure hope you're not trying to suggest any pilot would knowingly fly something with fuel containing ethanol in it, it's about the best way there is to crash a plane.

As for the mileage numbers, they're pretty popular 'real world' numbers people are experiencing in their own vehicles, just look around, there's lots of folks claiming the same problems. It's a cumulative thing, you lose 'X' mpg from the alcohol being lower energy, then you lose 'X' more because of the water content, then you lose 'X' more mpg because of the cooler running engine, and on, and on and on.

As for the ethanol content of premium fuel, it's funny you say that, because etahanol is now one of the most expensive ways there is to raise octane ratings in blended fuel, things like Alkylate, Hydrocrackate, Isooctane, Reformate and Toluene are all a bunch cheaper and in most cases, by-products of the refining process which they would have to deal with anyways.

As for mandatory ethanol blending, there's (in most States) no such thing, for instance, in the case of the State of Oregon, they actually have a directory and map on the State's website that lists all the locations in that State where you can buy 'clear' gasoline, that is non-ethanol blend fuel.

In the title of the directory it says "Where to buy clear gasoline in Oregon. "Clear" gasoline is defined as a non-ethanol blended gas, generally produced with 91 octane and sold as a premium blend."

Wonder how they make premium fuel with no ethanol?

Same way everyone else does, with the above compounds.........
Wow.. you didnt actually respond.

Tags
gas