Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #113

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
My attitude is this... if you have to ask you probably shouldn't own an RV. It's not an inexpensive undertaking and 2 or 3 mpg between rigs is insignificant in the bigger picture.
I disagree. I buy RV's when I need them, typically about 10 years old and depreciated about 80% off new. The latest unit we'll drive at least 2500 miles next month. The difference of 3mpg is quite a bit when you're getting under 7mpg in the hill country (my average so far). So a rig that gets 9 mpg cuts my fuel costs by almost 50%.

I fly planes too. We plan trips partly by fuel cost. Planning ahead literally for hundreds of miles. Again, fuel cost is a big consideration.

I like hobbies. Keeping them as economical as possible means I get to enjoy them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are doing the trip to Yellowstone from the Portland area this summer. While there might be some cheaper options, traveling in a moving house, being able to spread out, camping under the stars, and watching the kids witness what I saw at the park in a tent at their age makes the MPG pain all worth it. Not that it would be great to figure out more ways to inch up the MPG. For example, any benefit in using mid grade fuel, or no appreciable difference in MPG?

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #115

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Here is a little tip if you can use it. Wal-Mart has a wholesale club called Sam's Club. Where I fill my RV with gas has a BP directly across the street. The Sam's Club gas is .20 per gallon cheaper on high test and .17 per gallon cheaper than low grade. This takes into account the .05 per gallon for using a credit card at the pump at BP. Both Sam's and Wal-Mart are RV friendly companies as they will let you dry camp in their lots at no charge in most cases.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #116

I track all of my fuel, tolls and all maintenance / repairs for every trip. It changes all the time because of the following.

If I run my GENSET (.5 to .75 gallons per hour ) non stop for our roof AC, to keep our MH cool
Sometimes I tow our Nissan
Wind conditions
Flat land trips ..VS.. Mountain trips
If I keep my speed to 65 or less

I have recorded very low @ 6.6 MPG on some trips and up to my best of 9.47 MPG. It does not keep me from enjoying our RV as it provides great family time together.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I fly planes too. We plan trips partly by fuel cost. Planning ahead literally for hundreds of miles. Again, fuel cost is a big consideration.
That got me thinking, at 170 mph cruise, and burning 11.9 GPH (gallons per hour) mine gets about 14.28 mpg.

That's not bad, but not great either. But it sure is fun.

It's the smile per hour that count in the end.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #118

Had to laugh, have a good friend who also flies/MH's and it's far less expensive (if you believe that considering 'all in,' I have a bridge to sell) but he loves it.

And if he wants company on these 5,000 foot over ground jaunts?

CHOOSE ME!! CHOOSE ME!!!!!

Flying up/down the Rogue River Vally is total 'Mind Candy.'
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #119

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Had to laugh, have a good friend who also flies/MH's and it's far less expensive (if you believe that considering 'all in,' I have a bridge to sell) but he loves it.
I assume you're saying the MH is less expensive..
Actually, I dunno who can afford their own plane. It's expensive just to let the thing sit. We have a "share" and it's much more affordable, especially considering that planes do a lot of sitting... perhaps more on average than RVs...
Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #120

For fuel, the plane is far cheaper (amount used/time to get there); when you consider the cost of maintenance the plane is far more expensive. But then again, a MH is already on the ground ..... engine stops you just pull over to the side of the road.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #121

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
You don't generally need a parachute to abandon your RV... Unless it is a really big RV
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #122

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
The repair shop rate for my plane is a lot less than for my RV!!!!!!!!
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #123

so I started this post some time ago when I was looking to buy my first motohome. I have since bought it and used it a few times. while the gas mileage has not been great, probably 7-9 MPG, there are other things that I benefit from having my own home on wheels. the savings on motels/hotels/meals of course, but also I get to sleep in my own bed every night...that is priceless....no worry of bedbugs here. I also think I discovered a way of offset the bad gas mileage somewaht by planning my route, then I get on gasbuddy and find where the cheapest gas is. on a 600 mile roundtrip to vermont last weekend, I found a gas station along the way selling gas at 3.52 a gallon, while the majority of the others were at 3.69-3.79. that along with the fact that my inlaws paid 250 a night for a hotel room while I boondocked for free made the MH all that much mor valuable in my mind. thanks to everybody for posting!!!
kennyb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #124

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
There was a story I read once about a guy that goes to the Oshkosh fly-in every year. Usually, they fly them selves and stay locally and it took about 4 hours to get there all told (getting plane ready, fueling, tieing down later, etc), but one year they had to go commercial a day earlier and stay locally and the price was actually fairly close, but it took a little over 5 hours total (lines, parking, traffic, baggage, etc). So, he thought if those are close, then what about the RV? Next year they took that, They took 2 weeks to get there, saw some friends, stayed at the Grand Canyon, and generally had fun. Cost? Only slightly more than the 2 others (this was before the 'recession and gas hikes)..
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
You don't generally need a parachute to abandon your RV... Unless it is a really big RV

That only counts if you plan on getting out, I'll take my chances on riding the bus on home every time.

Midenyteoyl, I'm not too sure about the accuracy of that story. I go to the Sun 'n' Fun fly-in in Florida every March, it's about 1,000 miles each way. That's about 5.75 hours each way. This year was the most expensive, 138 gallons of fuel cost me a little under $800 round trip.

I did the same trip in my 'C' in January, by road it's ~1,350 miles each way, it cost me about $1,750 round trip in gas.

I make that more than double the cost to drive instead of fly myself.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #126

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'll try to find it.. Believe it was on the EAA site by one of the editors... Or maybe in the mag? Dunno, been awhile.

And I did say it was before the gas hike AND it included things like loging and food

Tags
gas