Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Soggy Roof

Hello everyone! So, last month i purchased a 1988 TravelMaster Class C. Everything seemed fine with it. Now a month later i am finding that the roof is leaking (rainy season in south FL, and we have been getting hammered with rain this year) and it feels soft in some areas. I have gone on the roof a few times and caulked as much as i could. i even put a new seal under the a/c. I do not necessarily know where it is coming from. I will be putting a Layer of Dicor metal roof coating on, along with there seam tape.

The know wood is wet, and if i don't get it dry i will have serious issues. Here is my question. How can i dry it after the leak is found. I have been putting a dehumidifier in there, but i am afraid it wont be enough. Should i remove the inner ceiling panels to let it dry? Has anyone used that DAMPRID stuff?

Any information would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!!

Hobotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I do not believe it will ever dry unless it is opened up. You are going to have to have it open anyway to do the repairs necessary. Might as well bite the bullet and get it open, then you can see the damage and start pulling out the rot. That will also help you see where the leaks are coming from. Best of luck.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
soggy roof

I agree with rons comments. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. For sure you need to open up the exterior and interior roof to find the extent of your water damage. On a unit that old you may well need total roof replacement. You can't seal a roof or externabond wet wood. It would be a waste of time and materials. Best of luck with your repairs.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote