Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Solar charger questions

I have recently bought a class c motor home and am spending the winter on the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama. I live in NYC and had been debating myself as to whether or not I should store the rig here or upstate NY. I can't imagine I would use it for more than a week or two. Anyway today was the first hot day I've experienced here and for me it was brutal 72 degrees and 100% humidity. That has made up my mind and I will drive the rig back to NY. It will be stored 120 miles from me and about $75 each trip out. tolls and gas.
What I'd like to know is will solar chargers on the engine and house batteries keep the batteries charged enough so I need not visit the rig except for bi monthly? If so is there any recommended setup. Thanks

easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
A couple hundred watts should do nicely if you can keep the snow off the panels. A controller with temperature compensation would be a plus.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
Assuming the batteries are fully charged, it only takes a very small trickle charge to maintain the battery at full capacity. Like 5 watts, or about 0.5 amp is plenty. It does not take much at all. If you have access to electricity at the storage, a battery maintainer, also called a float charger, will do the same to keep the battery up at full charge.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Hey Easy, We have 80 watts of solar on 4-6 volt house batteries with a regulator. The batteries were always charged no matter how long it sat. I would check the water in the batteries monthly. It worked great! If the starting battery was low I would use the battery boost switch.Good luck!
stinespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Thanks for the replies, I think a trickle charger would do the trick, no electric at the storage place. I only have one starting battery and one house battery and am/will be plugged in all the time except when driving to a destination and that is usually hundreds or thousands of miles. In reality all I want to do is be able to start the rig.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote