Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Vail Send a message via MSN to Mike_Vail Send a message via Yahoo to Mike_Vail
Hello all, I own a Class-C Fleetwood Jamboree GT [Model 31w] RV. I believe the factory solar charging regulator has failed because the solar charger has boiled the water out of both the batteries and ruined them. I replaced the batteries after unplugging the solar panel from the wiring harness above the A/C unit and the batteries are fine now.

If anyone has any info on where I can find this regulator to replace it, I've be very grateful.

Take care,
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It may not have one.

It's a bit hard to believe the factory standard solar panel can deliver enough amps to ruin a battery. The voltage can get high (as much as 16v in some of them), but it takes a large solar panel(over 40 watts) to produce much amperage. A 40 watt solar panel produces only about 3 amps @ 13-15v in full sun. If I recall correctly, the factory panel on a Jamboree or Tioga is only about 12-15 watts, so that would be about 1 amp. Barely a trickle.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Vail Send a message via MSN to Mike_Vail Send a message via Yahoo to Mike_Vail
Hello and thanks very much for the reply. The original solar panel died 2 years ago so I replaced it. The one I installed has the following specs:

Specifics:

Power (max): 13.5 watts
Voltage (min): 16.8 volts
Voltage voc: 18 volts
Current (max) Isc: 500mA
Cells in series: 36 pcs
Panel size: (mm) : 383 x 360 x 25 (inches): 15 1/16 x 14 3/16 x 1"
Weight : 1.6 kg, 3 1/2 lbs
Built-in diode
eBay purchase link: http://cgi.ebay.com/13-5w-SOLA...sidZp1742.m153.l1262

The panel worked great all last year, then the batteries cooked over the winter. That's why I assumed the charge controller had failed. Maybe they were cooking the whole time and I never knew it. I guess it was stupid of me to assume my coach would have a charge controller when it had a factory solar panel. I'm still learning about all this.

So is the consensous then that there is no controller and I need to install one? If so, can you recommend one for the above panel?

I'd be very grateful for any advice you could offer.

Kind Regards,
Mike
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not think a charge controller is necessary at that low of an output. That solar panel will not deliver very close to 500 mA to a 12 volt system. However water level should still be checked regularly anyway.
What types of batteries are in your RV? 6 volt or 12 volt?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There is nothing for a controller to do with only a 500 milliamp output, so it is very unlikely you have one. And 500ma isn't going to cook your batteries either, even 24/7, so you surely have some other problem.

You mentioned the problem occurred over the winter. Was this while in storage in a cold climate or were you camped somewhere in the sun belt? The solar panel would not have been putting out much charging current at all in a northern winter.

How often do you check the battery water and how long does it take to boil off enough to expose the tops of the plates?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote