Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Sound deadening drivers cab curtain?

I have installed an inverter so that my kids can watch the overhead tv while I am driving. It works very well by the way! My only issue is the sound from the tv is somewhat bothersome while driving.

I pull out the overhead bed which helps a bit and I even put a curtain from the bed down so that the kids can have the light on in the back at night and it doesnt distract me.

The sound of the tv isnt crazy loud and I dont want to resort to headphones for my 4 kids. It sure would be nice if 3M made a rollup sheet of plastic with sound deadening properties but sadly I dont think they do.

I'm thinking about buying a 6x6 carpet that matches the interior and attaching it to the overhead bunk to hang down while driving thus separating drivers cab and rear living area. I think the carpet should absorb some of the sound coming back at me. I figured I can cut a passage (much like a doggy door) into the bottom of it for access in and out of the cab. When not in use the carpet can simply be folded up under the overhead bed mattress.

Has anyone else ever considered this possibility or know of a better product? (other than Benadryl for the screaming & fighting kids) haha

99 Fleetwood Southwind 32V (Class-A)

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I'm thinking about <something> and attaching it to the overhead...
to hang down... separating drivers cab and rear living area.

I think the carpet should absorb some of the sound...
and retain the chassis air conditioning too

A simple length of "I-Beam" some sewing and you're off to the races.

Bryan. 2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
You mentioned that you did not want to resort to Head phones but I wanted to share my experience with them. In both the MH I have owned I have installed entertainments systems for my kids 19" LCD with DVD and added a Hard drive player (this rocks dont have to get up and change disks) but the point is I also installed an IR wireless audio transmitter. We just grab the headphones out of moms van and bingo we have no Princess and the Frog 55 times on the road. System is really easy to install and rather than running another 12volt line to power the transmitter I just added a 120v adapter to my inverter plug in for the tv and when the system is powered up you have the wireless running. Best of all no wires to trip on. I now have the system built into my DP and it is wonderful.

System Example there are others out there
POWER ACOUSTIK HP-22IRT 2 Swivel Ear Pad Single Channel IR Wireless Headphones With Transmitter: Go Electronic

Hope you find the right solution.

Jason, Donna
Alexandria and Creighton
2001 Itasca Horizon 330 Cat, 1999 Saturn SW Toad
jasonhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
yeah that does look like a very nice setup, thx. I may end up going that route. I just figured I wanted some good curtains anyway so they can have the lights on in teh back at night without affecting the drivers cab. Figured while I at it, I'd just get soundproof/deadening curtains of some sort.

I actually hooked up my invereter so I simply pluf in teh MH power into the inverter outlet and it powers everything but the airconditoning. Working really well and all plug-ins work on ac power.
99 Fleetwood Southwind 32V (Class-A)

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Noise deflecting curtain

We also pull out our bunk to help cancel the noise. This trip we bought a shower rod (tension type) with a heavy insulated curtain and put it behind the cab. the difference was amazing!! We bought two panels with a velcro closure so we could pass through while driving.
campingcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote