Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Spare tire location???

Have used but new to us 2004 Thor Four Winds Chateau Sport 24-T motorhome.
When we bought motorhome the spare tire was bolted on a spare tire bracket on the rear bumper. While underneth painting some surface rust areas I noticed 2 bolts on cross members. Is this were original spare tire was located? Thor and prious owner were emailed with no luck
Thanks for any information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2006 24 foot Four Winds that is similar to yours. My spare is bolted onto the rear wall of my rig. I do have a towing receiver on the bottom rear of my rig. I have a ball hitch attached to it and my tow bar attaches to it. Do you have a towing receiver at the bottom rear of your RV?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by semretired15 View Post
Have used but new to us 2004 Thor Four Winds Chateau Sport 24-T motorhome.
When we bought motorhome the spare tire was bolted on a spare tire bracket on the rear bumper. While underneth painting some surface rust areas I noticed 2 bolts on cross members. Is this were original spare tire was located? Thor and prious owner were emailed with no luck
Thanks for any information.
A lot of class c's have a spare tire either on the underframe or in a bin toward the rear. Maybe you could measure two opposite lug holes on the rim and measure the distance of the bolts on the underframe . see if they match. I have my spare in a bracket underneath, but had a blowout several months ago and it was a bear trying to get it out. very heavy. It may be worthwhile to leave where it is now. much easier if you ever experience a flat tire. Lots of luck with your new to you rv and smooth roads.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

Thanks Mike and Henryn
I will take measurements to see if thats's were it goes. I also have a towing hitch underneath of bumper.
Looks like you would need two people with long legs to get it up thier :(
Have road hazard insurance so they can change tire.
Thomas
Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

Wink Get it off the rear bumper

Had the spare on our 24' Nexus mounted on the rear bumper but after a couple thousand miles of hitting every pothole in North America (twice), it sheared off. Fortunately I did not lose the spare, just the bracket failed.

Passing through Elkhart I had the folks at Nexus weld a custom mount under the rear of the coach where the spare resides safe and secure but easily accessible when needed. Works for me.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #6

I fabbed a hitch retainer for under our previous TT see pic attached. I also fabbed a holder for a 42 gallon sewage caddy with hinges on one side that allowed the other side to drop down to the ground, and the caddy rolled out when needed. Lots of space under there, it was a shame not to use it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 120.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	103919   Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 Prowler 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	103920  

Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #7

Had the same under rear of body set up on our Lexington. As I carry necessary equipment to change my own tires, wanted a simpler, easy access to spare.
If you have a 2" receiver hitch on the back, the solution is fairly simple, even if you tow a trailer or vehicle.
A 2" double receiver and a 2" hitch mounted spare tire carrier, both available from Curt, via Amazon. Both top quality, and both will run around $125-$145.
Grumpy Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	103959
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1660.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	103960  

Tags