Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Cool Spare Tire Mount Solutions?

Im looking for ideas to mount a spare on my Gulfstream 32 class C. The bumper is not an option as it is (tried this on a 5er,not cool when spare is being dragged along the road after failure) I have thought about making a crossmember behind the axle and using a one ton pu spare hoist. Not the best place to add weight and crawling underneath to lower is required.Reasonable fabrication is not a problem. I just think why reinvent the wheel if someone else has tackled this. Receiver is not an option as pulling mc trailer is planned . Pictures would be great!Like other I prefer to be prepared, not at the mercy of a road service.

hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spare Tire Mount Solutions?

I've seen:

Hitch mount (easy/peasy)

Front receiver hitch mount ( in front of grille - yes you can get enough air flow ). Benefit is utilizing front axle which often has capacity to "spare".

Roof (yikes, heavy, but bonus of being out of the way.

My last class c had it mounted on the rear wall attached to a steel stud.

My current rig has it on the rear bumper with a continental style mount that drops down. (I know you don't like that)

If all else fails, there is always the trunk monkey from one of our local dealers.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Right now, if I carry it, the spare rides in the back bedroom. I'm solo with a 28' C so space isn't a problem. The bedroom is usually just storage anyway.

Mine was on the back wall and caused so much movement in the 2"x2" framed rear wall that I wound up rebuilding it.

I'm looking for a front receiver hitch. Others have had cooling issues with that style of mounting but I can always put a bicycle up there if there are problems.

While it doesn't solve your issue with road service companies, some wrap just the tire and keep it on the roof. You still need to have it mounted on the rim but it saves weight. And it could be helpful if you have an unusual tire or rim size.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
I used a hitch mount. It's proved to be strong, secure & stable.

If I decided to tow, I think I could use this type of hitch adapter.

2014 Thor Chateau 22E Class C
Ford E-350 SD DRW 158" Chassis w/6.8L V10
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Mid Atlantic Campers
I had a similar problem as you and so I got a little creative.
I have a neighbor who is constantly junking old cars and trucks and taking them to the crusher.
Long story short, I had him get me a crank down spare tire wench from a pickup truck and I mounted it underneath the coach right behind the passenger door. It was the only space big enough and strong enough to handle the weight.
Now, I did have some fabrication to do to make it work with a bud wheel, but it wasn't much.
The plus side is: I got the spare off of the back bumper and up out of the way.
The minus side is: It's a little bit of work to get it out from under the rig and back.
Fortunately, there is enough slack in the cable that I can drag the wheel from underneath and get it loose from the hoist. Installation is just the opposite with the hoist doing most of the work.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
I did the same as MRNOYB. works great only I modified mine so I can turn it around and fold it down with the tire on top. I would love to send pics but I can barely do this.
power guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Gulf Streamers Club
If you always pull the trailer then mount it on the trailer tongue, when not pulling the trailer then the hitch mount would be the tickey, the duel reciever would also work if you are pulling a tow dolly or a car behind you. The other thing is. How comfortable are you changing the tire on the side of the road. Some just carry a spare tire (no wheel) and have the road service person do the tire swap. Just a thought.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #8

Changing a tire is not a problem. I am not a young guy(60) but I still teach auto tech and work in the shop many days. I do not have room under most of the coach except for behind the axle and am not crazy about carrying that much additional weight that far back. I already added air bags as the rear springs had sagged. ( Im looking at either new springs with more capacity or converting to air springs like a big rig, lots of fabrication) I was overlooking the obvious about loading the tire on the trailer and it could be located to fine tune tongue weight. In addition trailer is only part time(Sturgis, Datona and the like) I will post whatever fix I use. In the meantime keep the ideas coming.

hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote