Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #1

Spare Tire Project

After 6 months of ownership and over 5,000 miles of travel I'm finally finished driving my class c without a spare tire. I've purchased a new OEM wheel and a matching Michelin tire.

The only remaining decision is how to carry the spare. Do I just pack it along with the rest of the gear in the storage compartment or try to mount an exterior carrier?

I spoke with the factory & they advised the 4" square bumper can accommodate a carrier and in fact the units they build for rental service are equipped with bumper mounted spare tire carriers. However they don't carry the accessory in parts.

I've researched the Stromberg Carlson TR-1 bumper mounted carrier and it seems like it might work but I'm a concerned it may not snug down properly because of the dually wheel.

I would appreciate any information anyone could share regarding bumper mounted spare tire carriers for a class c motor home.

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #2

Mine is underneath back bedroom mounted betwixt framing members... It will be a CHORE to get it out from under there... Thinking seriously about roadside assistance policy.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here are a couple of options. http://www.etrailer.com/question-45628.html

I'm lucky that our rig has one mounted on the sidewall on the rear from the factory.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #4

No receiver hitch? Curt Trailer Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier Curt Trailer Cargo Control c31006
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
I may begin towing in the near future and I dont want to impede airflow to the engine compartment by using a front mounted hitch.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Here are a couple of options. Will the Ultra-Fab Folding Spare Tire Carrier Fit on a 2006 Ford F 450 Class C Motor Home Bumper | etrailer.com

I'm lucky that our rig has one mounted on the sidewall on the rear from the factory.
I saw these but I think they're more for travel trailers.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

I had a local welding shop create a square ring that went around my tow bar with a 2 inch steel bar welded upright to the ring. I took a u bolt to fasten my tow dolly trailer on. You could design for your specific needs. He did it while I waited, cost $50.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

Does anyone know what the rim and tire weigh?
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Does anyone know what the rim and tire weigh?
Depends on size and type. Steel wheel is heavier and larger size tire is heavier. Assuming you have 16 inch dual wheels, I would estimate the tire and wheel weight around 75 lbs just guessing.

Bathroom scale will tell for sure.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Depends on size and type. Steel wheel is heavier and larger size tire is heavier. Assuming you have 16 inch dual wheels, I would estimate the tire and wheel weight around 75 lbs just guessing.
74.2 lbs. Still searching for the right carrier.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
For what it's worth, I mounted mine up under the coach in the dining area with a cable style winch from a junked car. There is even enough slack in the cable that I can just swing it out from under the vehicle with modest effort.
I don't remember what the winch came from, my neighbor junks cars all the time and I got it from him, but it was definitely from a passenger car or small SUV.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Blew a one year old inner tire on my class C. No spare! In six years of ownership, never thought of the spare. Called service and had tire changed. Went to junk yard and purchased a Ford 3/4 ton spare tire holder/winch and wheel. On to welder. We made an inverted U, welded the winch to the top of the U. Bolted the legs to the rails of the RV (when I sell the RV, the U goes with me). Extended the winch handle to come out beside the generator, and I am in business. I now have a spare, can lower it, and have it replaced easily. I hope this is helpful.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #13

I decided to mount the spare on a Curt trailer hitch carrier. The other alternatives I found didn't seem to provide the support needed to securely carry the combined weight of this size wheel, tire and carrier. I used Trimax receiver & spare tire locks to secure the carrier along with a Roadmaster quiet hitch attachment & Camco cover.

The investment in time & money was well spent. I'll probably never need to use the spare but I certainly feel better knowing it's back there. If or when I ever purchase another RV, the first item I'll check will be a spare tire. No spare, no deal thank you.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had "installed" a tire carrier on the back of our Allegro. It mounted into the rear hitch receiver yet preserved the ability to tow (as I did, towing our Jeep behind us). It would be easy to make one. In the photo you'll see our tow bar is still hanging on the hitch.

There was a section of vertical square tube the tire rested against. A threaded rod came up through the tubing and secured the plate you see hanging over the front of the top of the tire, "locking" the tire into the carrier. The advantage was it could be adjusted up or down depending on the size of the tire. It might be easier to make by just welding a flat plate to the vertical tube to use as a mount. In the case of ours the tire rested in a section of 'C' channel welded to the horizontal tube that was welded to the square post that slid into the motor home receiver and was open on the back end to receive the tow bar.

This was the only photo I could find that showed the tire carrier, such as it is.
Attached Images

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote