Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmlynek View Post
I am sorry, I am totally new to RVing (looking to rent C25/C30 this summer), but this discussion just boggles my mind. No spare? Or just a tire that is not mounted? Or no jack?

Are the tires on Cs indestructible or tougher that flats are a thing of the past? How are you suppose to lift the RV without a jack? How are you suppose to put an unmounted tire on the RV? OK, if I am in a city or busy highway, fine, I can call someone and they’ll come to my rescue, but if I am driving where there is no cell reception? And it may take hours for someone to find me.

And how exactly does it work if I find myself without a spare or with an unmounted spare? Does the tow truck driver get the tire (either the unmounted or the flat one), drive to the shop then drive back? So for one flat tire that is, say, 100 miles away he’ll have to drive 400 miles?

And what happens if I get a flat on Friday night? “You’ve reached our tire shop; we are closed now, please call back on Monday.”

Or how about: “Yeah, we are really busy right now; there are about 7 flats ahead of you; we’ll get to you within the next 18 hours.”

Or how about: “Well, that looks like a really big problem you have there; I don’t know if I can repair this myself, but if you’ve got extra $800, I would call a colleague to help us out.”

Sorry, but I’d really like to be able to change my own tire. Getting a flat just looks like a possibly very expensive or very time consuming endeavor.

Or am I wrong? Am I worrying about nothing? Is it pretty fast and/or cheap?

It takes a while to get over lack of spare tire shock. I suppose we have all been through it; my personal struggle lasted about thirty minutes. And in fairness I suppose you never really recover just settle for a situation which seems reasonable given your personal situation.

Some people want one so they do whatever it takes to carry a tire or a tire rim combination. They may sacrifice room and weight for the security. I examined all those possibilities and decided not.

In my case I have 22.5 inch rims and the tire and rim weighs more than I care to deal with and a mounted tire takes up a lot of room. Torque on the lugs is about 475 ft lbs. Inside dually just makes me quiver to think of changing it myself.

I add to that my personal experience which is not having any sort of tire trouble in twenty five years and practically none my entire driving experience. So like a lot of people I just figure if I have a problem with tires (only one of the many many possibilities for problems) I'll just deal with it when it comes. I'm comforted somewhat by the fact that no matter where I wind up I am still home, even in a parking lot waiting for a tire shop to open.

In my travels I do not boondock and usually stay on well traveled roads and do not travel at night etc. I am also retired and seldom in a hurry, by design. I have a membership in roadside assistance as do many people, as a hedge against the possibility of having a problem. Also like most people (I hope) I pay particular attention to my tires and their care, This may be one of the reasons I have not had any tire trouble. I also realize that that could end tomorrow no matter what good fortune I have experienced or created for myself. In all these things I am not unusual; many RV users fit this description.

And I suppose like most people I am not blasť about the subject and even recently saw a gadget that could be mounted on my tow hitch to accommodate a spare tire. After examination I realized that putting it there would block my license plate and learned as well that it was very expensive. So I settled back to where I am now.

Whether you carry one or not probably depends on your personal situation and your personal feeling about how prepared you need to be for every situation. Tires, in fact, is only one of the many possibilities for problems and a person cannot carry something for every eventuality.

But you are facing a normal situation for MH aficionados and you must find your level of comfort or discomfort and decide for yourself. The worst is over which is dealing with the realization; now you can seek your own tailored solution. Good luck and good travels.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the advent of 22.5 inch tires, Many coaches that have that size do NOT come with a spare.. Smaller tires (IE 19.5) it is a mixed bag.

The roadside services will, in many cases, bring out a tire and mount it for you, You pay for the tire.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #17

Well, there is another facet that surprises me about spare tire and road-side assistance.

It surprises me that a LOT of the posts on this forum discuss on how to maintain your RV, to to fix or repair anything inside and outside of it. I am blown away, and a little intimidated by the skills and sophistication of some of the RVers here. I know that such posts may not be representative of how RVer view RVing, and I realize that RVers are a diverse populace, but to a newbie as myself, it makes me think that RVer are typically more independent, free-thinking, problem-solving, and handy than the general populace. For example, RVers, it seems to me, would not get much out of their time to say, fly to some all-inclusive resort (where guests spend their entire vacation sitting on the beach and have everything served to them), but would rather travel and do things on their own.

Yes, I understand the many good reasons why an RVer would not change own flat. It just seems to go against my image, that RVer would have someone else change his flat; having someone else change the flat would be something more that a vacationer to the aforementioned all-inclusive resort would do.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #18

pdmlynek, some of us are unable to change a tire. Others simply choose not to. And each has their own reasons.

I am physically unable to now, but did on my class C back when. But with ERS I dont have to.

The BIGGEST thing about ERS, and the 1st reason to have it, is not the tire change, it is the tow if disabled that can save many hundreds. It just so happens that they will also change my tire.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Several issues with MH tires. Smaller than 19.5" and it's a no brainer. Carry a spare if you want to. Above the 16" rims and it get complicated. Our 2014 did not come with a spare. WBGO said it was to save weight. I think it was to save $$$$. I can torque a 19.5" rim to 150#. MOST can't torque to 450# which is the torque for a 22.5" rim. So that problem is solved. If you have22.5" rims use RSA and don't carry a spare.

How do you lug a heavy tire around and lift it onto the lugs even if it's a 19.5" or 22.5" tire they are heavy??? Well you use a lever. Roll the tire to it's location and lever it into place. A round bar with a flat end, a few pieces of wood and you can lift a lot of weight. I carry a few wooden wedges as well.

We don't have a spare. If I get a flat on the rear I would slow down and continue driving until I get off the expressway to a shop and get a tire.

If it happens on the front I remove a rear tire, put it on the front and slowly drive to a tire shop. If I'm way out I call RSA and have them fix it.

Will I overload the rear if I drive with only 3 tires on the rear????? Well heat is you enemy. Drive slow and the heat should not be a problem. Some will not agree with me and that's OK. It really depends on how far I am from a tire shop.

TeJay
Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #20

Quote:

It surprises me that a LOT of the posts on this forum discuss on how to maintain your RV, to to fix or repair anything inside and outside of it. I am blown away, and a little intimidated by the skills and sophistication of some of the RVers here. I know that such posts may not be representative of how RVer view RVing, and I realize that RVers are a diverse populace, but to a newbie as myself, it makes me think that RVer are typically more independent, free-thinking, problem-solving, and handy than the general populace.
pdmlynek
!

IMO to truly enjoy the "fun" a RVer must be independent, free-thinking, problem-solving and handy....... (and carry a thick wallet).

Unfortunately those without those traits/skills, (and us "oldbies", who's mind, body, and RV are aging), need a MUCH THICKER wallet!

My 2 cents.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 04-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Well, there is another facet that surprises me about spare tire and road-side assistance.

It surprises me that a LOT of the posts on this forum discuss on how to maintain your RV, to to fix or repair anything inside and outside of it. I am blown away, and a little intimidated by the skills and sophistication of some of the RVers here. I know that such posts may not be representative of how RVer view RVing, and I realize that RVers are a diverse populace, but to a newbie as myself, it makes me think that RVer are typically more independent, free-thinking, problem-solving, and handy than the general populace. For example, RVers, it seems to me, would not get much out of their time to say, fly to some all-inclusive resort (where guests spend their entire vacation sitting on the beach and have everything served to them), but would rather travel and do things on their own.

Yes, I understand the many goods reasons why an RVer would not change own flat. It just seems to go against my image, that RVer would have someone else change his flat; having someone else change the flat would be something more that a vacationer to the aforementioned all-inclusive resort would do.

I worked a long time and saved so at my age I had choices. When I am in one if those fancy resorts I let someone change the sheets; in my MH someone can change the tires. I can do both, just do not want too anymore. If someone wants to change their own tires to project an image then I'd love to sit and watch. Usually we change them or get them changed because they are flat.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote