Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spare Tire question and Roadside Assistance

I have a Minnie Winner 31KP - it is new. Salesman assured us it had a spare tire - and in my list of stuff to look for I did not look myself. Talked to sales manager and no assistance there.

So, do a lot of MHs not have spares? I looked and my tires are 16 inch tires. They are Michelin.

Now, I have Good Sam's Roadside assistance and Ford also both of which in the documentation states they will come and put on 'your' spare. So, if I carry around just the tire itself (no rim) will they (if you tell them) bring the equipment to put our tire on the MH with the old rim? The 6 tires are all the same but the rims are different of course of duals on back of course.

I think it would not be normal to carry around 2 different spares - lots of room and weight.

Also, my Good Sams states if "disabled" they will tow to the nearest service center - does that include (in any of your collective experience) a flat tire but you don't have a spare?

Help always appreciated. I would like to think I will never have a flat but I also would like to win the lottery...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I just have said, "However, there is no spare."

Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Within the last several years, many class C 's have lost the spare tire as standard equipment. Most often they were mounted underneath the coach. It is probably a cost saving decision. I have seen some C's with a spare mounted on the back. As far as road service for flat tire, you have to provide a mounted spare tire for them to put on, otherwise they will obtain a new tire and charge you for it. Not sure if they would charge you to mount it.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several threads here concerning whether to carry a spare - mounted or uncounted. The search feature will find them for you.

As for the question of whether good sam ERS will mount your un mounted spare, yes they will. For a additional charge. The service includes installing a already mounted tire
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last year, I had a blowout on my right rear, inside dual. I have Good Sam, Emergency Service, so I called them and told them that I had an unmounted spare, onboard. They sent a tire company, who took off both tires and mounted my spare on the rim, after removing the damaged tire. I was not charged a dime, for the service, but I did give the tech, a tip. I continue to carry an unmounted spare.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
sca

Most go to a Ford dealer and pick up a replacement rim, throw a tire on it, and put it inside the larger storage bay or buy a rear mount.

All 6 rims on your rig are all the same. Just depends which way it's mounted. Ie, look at your front tires, that's exactly how your inside tires are mounted in the back. Then if you flip it completely over that's how your outside duals are mounted.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

I could be wrong here ( uh ya it happens often ask her) but I think most coaches have the same rims front and back. The duals are just turns so rims oppose each other so you only have to carry one spare. I've changed mine not really that difficult a bit heavy but I carry a long bar to assist lifting onto lugs back on the road in about an hour.
Elmer
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Same rims.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You want to carry a spare. Otherwise you will have to pay whatever price the road service feels a tire is worth, delivered and mounted.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #10

Red face

You do not want to go to the Ford dealer to buy a rim. They quoted me $317, just for the rim. My local tire guy got me one for $97. Double check your coverage as there are reports on the RV forums that some, allegedly Good Sam, AAA and others (?), will not change an inside dually. Have also seen reports that some ERS' won't respond if you are in a campsite.

If you do not have a mountable spare it can get pricey in a hurry depending on who responds. I shudder to think what a new tire, 50 miles from East Tree Stump, is going to cost delivered and mounted (and balanced?).
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Good to know rims are the same. I may get a tire and carry around but rim would add weight but I will do one or the other likely. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #12

That's basically my situation, a mounted spare underneath. However, no wrench or jack anywhere. I haven't decided whether I should invest in something like that to take care of a front flat if I had too, especially if out of cell phone range. More stuff to find a place for....then a little compressor would be nice to keep tires spot on....mooooore stuff...
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
You do not want to go to the Ford dealer to buy a rim. They quoted me $317, just for the rim. My local tire guy got me one for $97. Double check your coverage as there are reports on the RV forums that some, allegedly Good Sam, AAA and others (?), will not change an inside dually. Have also seen reports that some ERS' won't respond if you are in a campsite. If you do not have a mountable spare it can get pricey in a hurry depending on who responds. I shudder to think what a new tire, 50 miles from East Tree Stump, is going to cost delivered and mounted (and balanced?).
Good Sam DOES change inside dual flats and other tire issues. I have Good Sam and they have done it twice (Arizona and California) when I had a tire develop a bubble and another blow out. They did it free if charge. Quick and professional both times

I carry a full spare and got the rim at Discount tire for $114.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 AM   #14

I am sorry, I am totally new to RVing (looking to rent C25/C30 this summer), but this discussion just boggles my mind. No spare? Or just a tire that is not mounted? Or no jack?

Are the tires on Cs indestructible or tougher that flats are a thing of the past? How are you suppose to lift the RV without a jack? How are you suppose to put an unmounted tire on the RV? OK, if I am in a city or busy highway, fine, I can call someone and they’ll come to my rescue, but if I am driving where there is no cell reception? And it may take hours for someone to find me.

And how exactly does it work if I find myself without a spare or with an unmounted spare? Does the tow truck driver get the tire (either the unmounted or the flat one), drive to the shop then drive back? So for one flat tire that is, say, 100 miles away he’ll have to drive 400 miles?

And what happens if I get a flat on Friday night? “You’ve reached our tire shop; we are closed now, please call back on Monday.”

Or how about: “Yeah, we are really busy right now; there are about 7 flats ahead of you; we’ll get to you within the next 18 hours.”

Or how about: “Well, that looks like a really big problem you have there; I don’t know if I can repair this myself, but if you’ve got extra $800, I would call a colleague to help us out.”

Sorry, but I’d really like to be able to change my own tire. Getting a flat just looks like a possibly very expensive or very time consuming endeavor.

Or am I wrong? Am I worrying about nothing? Is it pretty fast and/or cheap?