RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #1

Spare tires?

We recently purchased a 28 ft Fleetwood Jamboree from a local dealer. While doing my underside inspection I was surprised to find no spare tire. I inquired about the missing spare and was told that the tires are too large for one person to replace so should a flat occur we would have to have a tire company come to replace it. Iíve spent time in the military and we changed our own flats. Anyway after we got home and started looking through things lol and behold I find a huge tire iron. Do most of you carry spares?

Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #2

I carry a spare. I have a Fleetwood Jamboree 31M and it carries a mounted spare on a rack above the propane tank.

If your Jamboree is like mine then your 16” tires are nowhere near as heavy as a Class A tire.

Offramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

I’m pretty sure I was fed a line of bs. I drove tractor trailers for a while and when they came out to change a tire it was serious money.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmjp View Post
We recently purchased a 28 ft Fleetwood Jamboree from a local dealer. While doing my underside inspection I was surprised to find no spare tire. I inquired about the missing spare and was told that the tires are too large for one person to replace so should a flat occur we would have to have a tire company come to replace it. Iíve spent time in the military and we changed our own flats. Anyway after we got home and started looking through things lol and behold I find a huge tire iron. Do most of you carry spares?
This has been debated many times. You will find some that prefer not to carry one, and just use roadside service. The problem with this approach is that you are at the mercy of the roadside service price. Roadside service insurance does not pay for the price of the tire or mounting the tire on the rim. I only is responsible for the cost of remove and replacement of a tire on the Motorhome. Plus, your at the mercy of the time limit it takes for roadside service to reach you.

I prefer to carry a spare with me. Of coarse, my tire size is only 225/70 19.5. and the torque on the lug nuts is only 175 ft lbs. I carry a 20 volt 1/2 inch impact gun with me, plus a ft lb torque wrench. I've never had to use my spare, but have always felt better that it was there when traveling out west, where road side service could be hours getting to me. Not that tires are real light, but are manageable. Motorhome with 22 inch rims would be a hole different story!

It really boils down to ones ability to handle a large tire and just preference. If you have a place for a spare tire to mount, and feel you can handle the weight, I would carry a spare.

Also, I was told that not all Motorhomes have a place to carry a spare tire and must buy kit to mount one one the rear bumper or tow hitch.

Another reason some do not carry a spare is the cost of the tire. Like in my case, my spare had a DOT Date of 2003, it never hit the ground. Still had the original sticker. I just found this out a few months ago. I bought a new spare DOT 2018, and i hope it stays there also. Just a few hundred dollar for a feel good tire, I hope.

In closing. Some people will own a Coach for years and never have a flat. Some will have several flats in just a few years. So, if you have lots of money for roadside cost of new tires and mounting, and lots of time to wait, no need to carry one.

Safe travels.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:37 AM   #5

X2 for Hawkeye's note:
My coach included a spare up underneath, which I never hoped to use...until a front flat last summer. Of course the only tool I had was a tire wrench...but having the tire taken down and ready for the service truck meant it was just a 15 minute job for him and I didn't have to rely on them having the proper tire.
Even the 16" tires are quite heavy, but mine came down fairly easily on a hinged rack (returning a tire there is more demanding but assisted by the leverage provided by the rack design). NOW, I travel with a 20 ton bottle jack and am confident I can change a tire on the road side (planning a run to the Yukon soon, where cell coverage and roadside assistance may be spotty).
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:05 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input. I’m going to crawl around under there tomorrow and see if there’s any type of mounting point for a spare. My biggest fear is having a mobile mechanic come out and fix my tire problem. I’ve been a mechanic all my life and it’s pretty well known that being broke down in the middle of nowhere can really bring in some vultures. I had a flat on my motorcycle once....
Towing fee: approx. 4 miles. = $175.00
New tire and mounting fee: 275.00
Total $450.00. (Normally $180.00)
This all happened in beautiful Okeechobee FL. We realized that the driver was the mechanics brother. Expensive ride that day.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
you were told tires are to large for one person to replace? Ö how many people will the tire co send out? LOL! salesman talk! Ö I carry spare and tools
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
you were told tires are to large for one person to replace? Ö how many people will the tire co send out? LOL! salesman talk! Ö I carry spare and tools
It depends. I know RV'ers who are in their 70's, with arthritis in their knees and shoulders, and who rarely lift anything heavier than their coffee cup!
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #9

There are those of us who are physically capable of and willing to change a tire and there are those who aren't and never the twain shall meet. The economics of roadside assistance may be mitigated by the terms of any coverage plan one might have.

I hope to never have to change a tire but my 2002 came with a spare when I bought it in late 2017. All the tires were old but I was able to replace the spare with a recent vintage, used tire with minimal tread wear for $75, installed, from the truck shop installing my new tires.

If you have a flat from a relatively slow leak, a compressor can get you to a service site even if you have to stop to top off the tire every few miles.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #10

I have a spare, but when I got a flat, it wasn't used.

Called CAA (same as AAA but for Canada), they called the local tire shop, he brought a tire and changed it. I paid for the tire (regular rate, not inflated prices), CAA covered everything else.

I had to wait an hour, but it would have taken me 30min anyway, so I waited

I was in northern BC, so not really civilization, but 30 miles from the closest town.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My only flat was in a small town on a holiday week, 6PM, service finally arrived at Midnight, (he had to repair his truck air lines, drop a tow, change trucks and travel over 100-miles; had I not had a spare, I probably would have been waiting on a local Walmart to open on a Sunday? or worse, find a tire Monday? I had tools, but no jack or torque wrench.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood tioga 31M spare mounted above propane tank, I carry 20 ton bottle Jack 110v electric impact wrench, socket to fit the lug bolts
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #13

I do carry a leather plug style repair kit and a small compressor but it’s never been used. What can you tell me about front and rear stabilizer bar upgrades?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
I do carry a leather plug style repair kit and a small compressor but itís never been used. What can you tell me about front and rear stabilizer bar upgrades?
Since reading this thread, I did a little research on the plugging kits and pretty much have determined that they're really not an option for Class A tires. Most of the kits I saw online were specifically noted as not for Class A tires. In a couple of references it was even mentioned that using one could make a proper repair impossible.

Tags
tires