Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Spec's Nightmare class c conversion

1st off I'd like to invite ANY and ALL input you might have besides Junk that $#@%&&^^* piece of crap
Here's what I have cooking, I needed to upgrade my mobile kitchen, with a potty and rest area I have A.S. so 12 hour smoker/catering sessions can be too much for me and I need to lay down and get off my spine for awhile.
I've been looking for the right RV for over 2 years the only criteria I had was size, (28-30ft) and good water system/potty...and the least amount of rot since it was getting gutted and redone into a mobile smoking kitchen...IE; lots of refrigeration space, sinks, Dehydrator, and sst. counters for cutting on
I'm not building a "food truck" So a bread truck, Bus, or cube van was not in order...I do private events, cook - off's Jerky's, and some custom smoking of Venison, fish, etc...
After looking at whats out there I was amazed at the amount of Junk people were trying to pawn off as a "roadworthy RV" Rotten roof, rotten floors bowed walls etc...
So I was ecstatic when I found this 78 Eldorado...I crawled on, under, in, and around this thing! It looked clean inside, out and under (no wet spots, moldy carpet, roof looked good, tires fair ran the pump, Flushed toilet etc) One stain around a roof vent I took it for a test drive and it drove nice at 50-55mph so I plunked down my cash 1,000 bucks on Wednesday...Went to pick it up on Sunday morning...Batteries were dead and wouldn't charge...Jumping it for 3 hours wouldn't start...No spark I HATE FORDS
Dude doesn't want to give back the money and call it a wash...So to make a long story short $750 in IGN. parts I finally get the thing running...Go to pull out and the fuel pump went out add another $100
Driving it home through 65 miles of construction, at 60mph a horrible vibration coming through the floor and steering wheel so I held it at 55 on the interstate...I get so close to home I can almost see my driveway Getting off 694 on to hwy 36 It quits...Now keep in mind it has all NEW Ign, Batts, Regulators, and alternator Go to crank it over. Batts are dead...Construction zone can't pull over...Coasting to a turn lane running over some barrels...Ended up calling for a tow 1 mile from home...AT LEAST DUDE PAID FOR THAT
Got it home...YAY
Well that was the good news...It goes down hill fast from there
I filled the h2o tank and powered up the system after charging the Batts overnight...Toilet flushes, sinks run on cold only OK I find the valve for the HOT h2o pump runs and runs and runs I'm thinking wow a 10 gallon h2o heater...NAW how about water running out of the gas vent, back of the heater and a broken fitting H2o Heater...Junk...I don't really care I have a big on demand h2o heater for the truck.. Put some Propane in the tank instant smell and hissing...the $#@$#^$% Propane tank is rusted out...ON THE TOP OF THE TANK where you can't see it until you drop the tank on your chest
READ ENOUGH YET?
We're still on a down hill run
I planned on leaving the Bathroom intact mostly Just pull the carpet
Well that's when WHO FLUNG POO CAME TO VISIT
Carpet went under the toilet/tub/bathroom sink OK so I'm carefully pulling the tub/shower unit... Sidewall... Mouse nests to the roof...wall framework is mostly gone, floors wet ... Back wall... Frame work rotted and gone and hanging, sopping wet insulation...ALLRIGHT I guess I'm pulling the sink/closet and generator port apart since the carpet runs under that as well. I get that stuff ripped out and I went through the floor
Before you ask me If I'm blind...How could you not see all this damage...The Carpet had a really heavy almost landscape plastic under it
I went underneath and started pullin the aluminum covering and discover the base framework rotted so bad that it fell out in a pile of fibers...
Here's some before pix
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0495684a.jpg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...ps920a47c2.jpg
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...ps86b3fd97.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...psd374c11c.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0984ae98.jpg

Old 07-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Wow, the pictures tell a very different story than you did. My wife and I are currently rebuilding an old (1966) class c. The way we are going about it is that we are starting from square 1.

Since you are building a rig to serve others food and such I would plan around that. Don't re-invent the wheel. Just look and what will help you the most and build that interior. The best part of building your own is just that, it's your own. However step one will be to find all leaks and repair them. I may be going a bit overboard but on the inside of the paneling I am rubber-coating. In case a pinhole gets through the roofing (seal coating, etc) It should not leak inside. Also it will sound deaden rain/hail storms a little.

Did you find out what's causing the mechanical errors? With all of that new you should be fine unless there is a relay/solenoid that has gone bad.

I really am bummed to read your bad news.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

They sure do Funrover,
Oh yeah...I almost forgot, on the test drive all the lights worked except for the 2 front marker lights...When I got it home nothing except the headlights and 1 turn signal work...No markers, no signals, no brakelights
I'll get pix tomorrow...
The lower aluminum was caulked so well... stinky rotten water ran out all over me
I think I've pin pointed the leaks with the back wall when inspected with a magnifiying glass looks as if it's been shot with about a #16 bird shot from 100 feet the inside it's full of ground pepper size holes, and the corners had been caulked and had the silver roofing done to it as well...So in combination with the poly under the carpet and the super duper caulk job on the belly, water had no place to go but back up the walls
Your right I don't want to reinvent the wheel But I need to figure out what to do with the rear of this unit...Since I need to cut in a large door for bringing in equipment I'm thinking of re-designing the rear wall and incorporating the door there and using the Bathroom wall close to the centerline to support the roof 4' in I saved what I could of the framework so I can duplicate the angles and curves of the wall without having to rebuild the entire back wall and re-skin it
Right now my trouble is the rotten sub frame...I pretty much have a good idea what I need to do I just don't want to throw good money after bad
I haven't had time to chase the wiring problem yet...
Old 07-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hear all this, but you only paid $1,000 for the unit originally, correct? Didn't you expect it was going to be a project to get it worth something?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Hi Debbie,
$1,000 + the $850 after I test drove it to get it to move again is $1850
I've scrapped dozens of motorhomes that looked way worse than this one but were in way better shape.. The most I ever paid for one of them was $450 and that had a generator in it
My point isn't the cost so much, but how much unseen and un seeable damage that this thing had...Did you look at the pix?
Had I had a clue that the Propane tank,h20 heater and the rear being so rotten...Much less not being able to test the fridge and stove...I would have offered scrap price...About $200 max I'll break it down for you
$200 RV
$225 tow it home the 130 miles
$60 tear down consumables...Gases for the torch, sawzall blades etc
$150 garbage disposal...Carpet, insulation, plastic, and embossed wood, tires
Total $635...
Now the salvage
Ford 460 with C-6 tranny @100,000 miles sell for maybe $425 to 450
Scrap iron at todays price...$300 Before fuel to haul in
Scrap Aluminum..About $30
Reasonable salvaged goodies...H2o pump/tank/rad/etc ...Maybe $150...At this point I have to assume the fridge and furnace are Junk too
total $905
So To have bought this for scrap I would have spent around 45 hours of labor, driven 260 miles... to make a whopping $270 before taxes l would not have bought the truck for scrap Much less paid the 1850 I have in it
This truck wasn't bought to be a recreational build, It's an important part part of my BBQ business that at this point was a bad decision on my part
`
Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Ok, sorry. I stand corrected.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #8

Hey Debbie,
No problem,
Like I said I'm not whining about what I have into this...
This thread Is to maybe help educate the next guy as to not step into the poop I just did, and maybe help some others to be able to recognize trouble spots that are really not visible until you tear into it...But then it's too late
I have to polish this turd or loose over a grand and start the search over again...
LET THE [moderator edit] POLISHING BEGIN
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
again...
LET THE [moderator edit] POLISHING BEGIN
I love the enthusiasm! I look forward to the build.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club

An eye-opening glimpse into the works of the Mobile Foodservice World...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #11

Thanks guys,
I'm an OLD SCHOOL BBQer NO charcoal, NO GAS, NO LIGHTER FLUID, and NO ELECTRIC Just blends of hard and fruit woods for me...Except for the jerky's they get finished in a big dehydrator...(Food safety)
I wanted to get a late 60's or early 70's truck But settled on this one, I think I can make up for the non vintage with the right paint scheme
I forgot my camera when I went out to the truck on Friday so after I get the Jerky orders out I'll get pix
In the mean time here's some of the hardware from my old truck, My sandwich table...I drove through a really bad hail storm in Kansas with it on the trailer so it looks like hell

And my commercial fridge about twice as heavy as a consumer unit
[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #12

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6c7af3de.jpg
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...psf0839b5d.jpg
Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

Bummer,that looks like you are making some fast progress though.