Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Spray on stone guard?

Just got from the first road trip with my new Class C and noticed a bunch of chips in the paint on the lower part of the coach. It's the flat area facing forward that extends out from the van cab. Apparently the front tires kick up gravel when turning corners that bounce off the coach body.

I've found a couple different brand (3M, Rustoleum, SEC) spray on rock guard products that are available in clear. Anyone every use any of them?

If anyone has any suggestions for other products you've used to protect the paint from chips, please post the tips.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Principle: Deflect, Protect, Touch-up

1) Do you have full-width running boards that fill in the space between the front wheel fenders and the front edge of the coach? On our former Class C, they deflected the stones, whether the tires threw them or they bounced from some passing vehicle. The few paint chips that occurred I fixed with touch-up paint.

2) If you have a trusted auto body shop, you might ask them about options. They know what works over the long haul. In my case, they can spray materials way better than I can.

3) On the Monaco Owner's Forum there is a lot of discussion about a clear 3M film that Monaco applied to the front of its Class A coaches to protect the paint. Turns out that the film cracks as it ages, and the cracks spawn mildew. Some Monaco owners have removed theirs; apparently, it's a time-consuming and difficult process that occasionally results in a needed repaint. Sometimes a fix sounds great, until a few years after you apply it.

I hope this helps you keep that Forester looking new!

Mark

Old 09-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #3

Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection
Old 09-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

Our Dynamax came with Diamond Shield. It covers the front of the cab, the transition from the cab to the coach. Pretty much any part that faces forward. It is a clear film that has a great warranty. I had priced it out for our Thor before we traded it in, it wasnt bad at all to have the parts shipped and have a local dealer install.

Just another option.

http://https://www.diamond-shield.co...tection%20Film
Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

The 3M rockguard is supposedly easily peelable like a sticker being removed. They say to remove every 3-6 months and spray a new coat on. Which means cleaning the area and taping off. I researched it for the front of my hood of my class C. Still haven't heard of anyone who has used it yet. I also thought about using the white flexi seal for this application. I've seen light coats of rhino lining on the front of the hoods for rock protection.
robertsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Principle: Deflect, Protect, Touch-up

1) Do you have full-width running boards that fill in the space between the front wheel fenders and the front edge of the coach? On our former Class C, they deflected the stones, whether the tires threw them or they bounced from some passing vehicle. The few paint chips that occurred I fixed with touch-up paint.

2) If you have a trusted auto body shop, you might ask them about options. They know what works over the long haul. In my case, they can spray materials way better than I can.

3) On the Monaco Owner's Forum there is a lot of discussion about a clear 3M film that Monaco applied to the front of its Class A coaches to protect the paint. Turns out that the film cracks as it ages, and the cracks spawn mildew. Some Monaco owners have removed theirs; apparently, it's a time-consuming and difficult process that occasionally results in a needed repaint. Sometimes a fix sounds great, until a few years after you apply it.

I hope this helps you keep that Forester looking new!

Mark
Yup, full width. It's the flat part of the main coach body right behind the running boards/van nose that I'm talking about.