Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Sprinter 2008 engine/chassis noise

At 50 to 58 mph. It is like when you back off the throttle and the ring/pinion is very high mileage or poorly set up. But this is under throttle accelerating condition. Is there something in the turbo that makes a noise under load?

this is a 2008 MB V6 in a 2010 Fleetwood Pulse

dan
Dan_Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #2

Try manually down shifting one gear and see it improves or changes.

Center drive shaft bearing support can make noise.
Rear ends are exactly quiet on most........they whine.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

There have been issues with the drive shaft support bearings.

Yes, your turbo makes a pretty good whine when it is spooled up. The turbo damper is supposed to quieten it down, but you still hear it.

Is this possibly RSN, rumble strip noise (term is well known to Sprinter owners). Is it a whine or rather is it a shudder/rumble? if it is RSN it is caused by the transmission. Complete fluid change, both pan and converter, with the proper fluid and level properly set, will many times cure this. The fluid in this transmission literally wears out.

Use only one of the fluids listed in this list................. (MB spec 236.14) fluids approved under 236.12 are also acceptable, but I don't think any of those are manufactured now)

Mercedes-Benz Betriebsstoff-Vorschriften: Motoröl, Getriebeöl, ATF, Kühlmittel, Bremsflüssigkeiten

Shell ATF 134 will be the cheapest alternative, from a Shell distributor. http://www.shell.us/business-custome...RzL3B1YmxpYy8=

Also, not listed in the MB list but acceptable is MoPar Sprinter/Crossfire fluid, p/n 05127382AB

This thread might help you. Note that your drain plug in the converter is 4mm allen recess as opposed to the 5mm mentioned in the thread, for earlier models.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2557

Charles
Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #4

I also posted a fair amount about the transmission in this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/dip-stick-298018.html

Charles
Old 07-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #5

The noise has been the same since I bought it with 17,000 miles and PO said it has always been there. I replaced the drive shaft with one that I can replace the U-joints (Spicer) and has new bearing supports. What I should have done was have the joints drilled/tapped for zerk fittings...dumb mistake. Noise still the same. I'll try down shifting and see what happens. I might do a transmission oil change (at an MB dealer) and see what happens. It's not loud enough to be RSN but might be. It really sounds like turbocharger spooling up.

We're up in Maine, heading to Nova Scotia (from Calabash, NC). Lots of liquid sunshine but nice escape from southern/summer heat. Had grand kids with us, dropped them off in NJ. Drove with generator on for the A/C and only lost about 1 mpg. I put on the GDE EMS upgrade. Really took care of stumbling (sometimes) at take off in first gear (the EGR was cleaned about 6,000 miles ago and it still had a slight stumbling). Nice EMS upgrade. Does have more power and tad bit better fuel economy.

Thanks for the comebacks.
dan
Old 07-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #6

I shifted down from 5th to 4th at the same rpm and the noise was still there. Looks like it's the turbo making noise. Any suggestions on how to make the turbo more insulated or some sort of muffler for the system? probably not, just have to live with it.

thanks guys for your help.
kind regards,
dan
Old 07-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

I have a five cylinder. The resonators were a known failure item for them, and the previous owner replaced the resonator with the eliminator pipe way before I got the rig. Mine is rather loud, like a fan belt squealing in the distance, and I have become accustomed to hearing it, and don't give it a second thought any more.

Charles
Old 07-30-2016, 05:17 AM   #8

So, basically, the noise is turbo whine that there is no way to make it quieter expect to replace the turbo, assuming a new turbo would be quieter. The resonator, new and metal replacement, have little effect on noise, only on durability of the resonator. Since 17,000 miles when I got it and before that with second owner, the whine has been noticeable and the turbo is not smoking or leaking oil there is nothing to do except turn down my hearing aids. Correct?
Old 07-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Johnston View Post
So, basically, the noise is turbo whine that there is no way to make it quieter expect to replace the turbo, assuming a new turbo would be quieter. The resonator, new and metal replacement, have little effect on noise, only on durability of the resonator. Since 17,000 miles when I got it and before that with second owner, the whine has been noticeable and the turbo is not smoking or leaking oil there is nothing to do except turn down my hearing aids. Correct?
The resonator is plastic. That I know of, they do not make an eliminator pipe (metal) for the V6. It makes more noise than having the resonator. The whine is normal, a new turbo would do nothing, its the sound of the air exiting the turbo. Its the nature of the beast. Have not heard of anyone on the View/Navion board on Yahoo complain about turbo noise on a V6 however.

Thought I might add, the engine driven cooling fan makes a bunch of noise when it is engaged and driving the fan full force. It cycles with engine radiator air temperature. Works like all US car fan clutches have for many years. Bimetalic coil on front of fan clutch senses temp of air coming off radiator, somewhere between 210 and 215 degrees of engine temp the fan clutch engages (its a silicone fluid filed unit) and makes lots of noise until the engine temp is drawn down to about 190, where upon it suddenly disengages and things get quiet.

FYI, The purpose of the aluminum eliminator pipe on the 5 cylinder is that the first three generations of the resonator were prone to failure, leaving you in limp mode. The eliminator pipe solved the failure problem. Newest FIVE cylinder resonators are fairly reliable, and after market one (Dorman) is also. The SIX cylinder does not suffer from resonator failures.

Charles
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
On our View, the fan clutch had failed, resulting in being fully engaged regardless of temperature. I doubt this is your problem but we replaced ours so that it would work properly (and more quietly).
Old 08-01-2016, 05:49 AM   #11

Thanks Charles and Wanders. Was hoping for something secret that I just couldn't find but alas I'll just live with it. Doesn't hurt performance just that I like to have mechanical things working as perfectly as possible. Wife doesn't hear it but she's into different sounds than I, for different reasons. Since the noise has been here basically from at least 10k miles and it's not gotten worse, i'll just keep on trucking.

dan
2010 24D, 40,000 miles
Old 08-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #12

dan sprinter-source.com big forum just like here try your question there. guy in colorado works on them for a living. if hes on he will give you the low down. alot of people on it with tons of info.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, engine, noise