Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #15

It is useful to look at the gross vehicle weight numbers with some care. The sprinter based units tend to be a bit limited on carrying loads beyond the basics. It is a nice vehicle from a driving perspective.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I am sorry to hear about Hoosierrun's problems. But there are many thousands of these Sprinter vans out there driving millions of miles. So, I would not want folks to get the idea that what happened to him is common.

As far as the Stevens Service article. Most of what he is writing about applies to cars not Sprinters (IMHO). The Bluetec engines do have some quirks but if you change the oil every 10K and minimize idling, most of the issues he raises are eliminated.

I read the Sprinter Forum https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10 and I just don't see major problems being mentioned with the MB chassis.

But I agree with the posts about OCCC. But how much higher is in the Ford based models of a similar weight?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
I am wanting to know the advantages/disadvantages would be with a Sprinter chassis versus a Ford chassis Class C with a similar/same floor plan. For example Sunseeker 2430S (Ford) and Sunseeker 2400W (Sprinter).

As I see it, the Ford chassis has more advantages than Sprinter, i.e. larger GVWR and GCWR, cheaper maintenance, etc.

What are advantages the Sprinter chassis would have over a Ford?

John
My thoughts on this. I've recently decided to purchase a Thor Vegas, but previously, I had been nearly convinced to go with a 2400W or 2430S. I'll give you my thoughts on why before I changed my mind, I had planned to go with the Ford 2430.

It really came down to multiple limitations on the MBS chassis. They are:

1. VERY log CCC (cargo capacity). You need to look at the CCC after putting water, people and possibly dogs in it and see how much is left for your stuff. Likely only a few hundred (300-600) pounds.

2. Related to number 1, they put small 2.3 KW generators in them, some of which run off of propane (I believe Diesel in the 2400W which is a plus), and that doesn't give you much headroom when you are running the AC in the coach.

3. Related to number one above and also Mercedes restrictions on modifications to the chassis, you won't find any leveling system on the coaches. At most they have a rear stabilizer (I believe was an option on the 2400W), where as the Ford 2430 has the option of an auto leveler (both due to the fact Ford will allow the chassis mod and has the extra cargo capacity to carry the weight of the system).

Those were the main negatives for the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I had started my RV research convinced I wanted a Sprinter based RV, until I realized how many limitations they have. I imagine there are a LOT of owners of Sprinter based RVs that are going down the road well over the weight limit and don't realize it.

One final note. They Ford version is much more highly discounted than the Mercedes version, and I think you will find that you will pay $12-16,000 or so more for the Mercedes version with the EXACT same floorplan. It will take you at least 100,000, and likely closer to 200,000 miles of driving before that MPG savings offsets the extra price of the Mercedes.

The biggest pro that the Mercedes seems to have is that most say it handles more car like when driving, but that comes with the price of a lot of cons.

Anyway, that's where I got to (decided on 2431 Forester without cab over bunk) before I decided I didn't want to live with the 22'x36" (or something like that) shower in that floorplan and opted to go another route instead.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypaul View Post
But I agree with the posts about OCCC. But how much higher is in the Ford based models of a similar weight?
2,500-3,500 lbs greater CCC. Somewhere in that range. In the models he's looking at, they are building them on the E450 with a 14,500lb GVWR vs. the MBS with about 11,000. Same floor plan and I'm not sure what the difference in weight is for the base chassis.

Bottom line, you will be looking at something just over/under 1,000 CCC with the MBS 2400W and something like 3,500-4,500 with the Ford variation of the same floor plan (options not available to the MBS like leveling system, etc. could eat into CCC a bit).
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
My thoughts on this. I've recently decided to purchase a Thor Vegas, but previously, I had been nearly convinced to go with a 2400W or 2430S. I'll give you my thoughts on why before I changed my mind, I had planned to go with the Ford 2430.

It really came down to multiple limitations on the MBS chassis. They are:

1. VERY log CCC (cargo capacity). You need to look at the CCC after putting water, people and possibly dogs in it and see how much is left for your stuff. Likely only a few hundred (300-600) pounds.

2. Related to number 1, they put small 2.3 KW generators in them, some of which run off of propane (I believe Diesel in the 2400W which is a plus), and that doesn't give you much headroom when you are running the AC in the coach.

3. Related to number one above and also Mercedes restrictions on modifications to the chassis, you won't find any leveling system on the coaches. At most they have a rear stabilizer (I believe was an option on the 2400W), where as the Ford 2430 has the option of an auto leveler (both due to the fact Ford will allow the chassis mod and has the extra cargo capacity to carry the weight of the system).

Those were the main negatives for the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I had started my RV research convinced I wanted a Sprinter based RV, until I realized how many limitations they have. I imagine there are a LOT of owners of Sprinter based RVs that are going down the road well over the weight limit and don't realize it.

One final note. They Ford version is much more highly discounted than the Mercedes version, and I think you will find that you will pay $12-16,000 or so more for the Mercedes version with the EXACT same floorplan. It will take you at least 100,000, and likely closer to 200,000 miles of driving before that MPG savings offsets the extra price of the Mercedes.

The biggest pro that the Mercedes seems to have is that most say it handles more car like when driving, but that comes with the price of a lot of cons.

Anyway, that's where I got to (decided on 2431 Forester without cab over bunk) before I decided I didn't want to live with the 22'x36" (or something like that) shower in that floorplan and opted to go another route instead.

FYI - newer Winnebago propane generators are all 3.6kw. I believe most competitors are the same as well.

I agree on the carrying capacity and levelers.
JJ Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I've been following hoosierrun's thread on his Sprinter troubles and after reading his horror story (it truly is a horror story), I thank my lucky stars that I bought my Class C on a Ford chassis with a V10 Triton engine.

Maybe it doesn't get the gas mileage as the Sprinter, but I love my Ford engine. It does great on high grades.
x2! We love our Ford.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #21

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Very helpful.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #22

I looked at the View G floor plan on the sprinter chassis and thought it was nice but the CCC was low and didn't like the thought that a Mercedes diesel would be costly to have maintenance preformed. I have owned 2 diesel motorhomes a Journey and an Itasca Horizon and maintenance is expensive. We were looking to down size to a class C. We ended up with a Coachmen Leprechaun DS260 with the Ford 450 E series. No problem ever getting parts, maintenance is much cheaper, no DEF, we have a larger CCC, towing is 7,500 lbs but we just tow a Subaru Forester 6 spd, and the rig has auto leveling. We just traveled from central Florida to Maine and got 7.5 to 9.5 mpg. Gas prices were 30 to 50 cents cheaper than diesel and no DEF to add. The Ford V10 did an awesome job with the transmission in tow mode. We had no trouble on steep grades and going down them was no problem, in fact it did just a good jog down steep grades as our diesel rigs with engine brakes. Our unit has a lot more room than the 24 ft View and we are only 3 feet longer and we have 2 slides. The price was a lot lower than the View. Our rig also has air shocks in the rear which is really nice. The 450 E series has lots of power and handles really well. Hope this helps you in making your choice. I suggest you try test driving both the sprinter diesel and a 450 Ford. Our dealer in Florida has been awesome and we have a lifetime warranty. Good Luck and Happy RVing!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Holiday View Post
FYI - newer Winnebago propane generators are all 3.6kw. I believe most competitors are the same as well.

I agree on the carrying capacity and levelers.
Now that you mention it, it might be that some were 2.3 kw diesel and on the newer ones they might have moved to the larger propane. I would still put the gas 4kw as an advantage only from the standpoint of feeding off the 55 gallon gas tank rather than the typically limited propane, but you are correct that if you get the 3.6kw generator than it's no longer under powered.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #24

I was also curious and Forest River actually lists CCC unlike many places. The 2400W (MBS) is 1106 the 2430 (E450) is 3580. So, the E450 has just a hair under 2500lb's excess capacity.

When you think of that 1106 should include full fuel from what I understand. From that:

2 adults (170 x 2 -- using FAA average) = 340
Full fresh water = 290

So, assuming full tank of water and two "average" adults, and you have 476 lbs for everything else. Food, luggage, hoses, cords, BBQ grills, etc.

On top of that, as you will likely have little CCC left over (if any, that means it wan't count towards your towing or tongue weight if not flat towing). Assuming you use up most of that CCC (if not in fact being overweight) then it only leaves 4220 lbs towing capacity, even if it has a 6,000lb or 7,500lb hitch.

This was all a shock to me when I started digging into it and finding out how tight the cargo and towing capacities were on these sprinter based RVs.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #25

Sprinter vs Ford in Similar Class C Floor Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Holiday View Post
Just curious - what would the engine load be on a comparable Ford under the same circumstances?

I would like to hear that as well. Way back I liked the 454 4 barrel, but have been into diesels since 2004. Gasses just don't have the long life as far as I'm concerned. Higher R's? And adding 4 additional cylinders bothers me. Just have not researched this engine.
wkdoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #26

Wkdoolin, thanks for the link. I am on the Sptinter forum as well, I read all his articles. This one is pretty good. Do you use the BG additive he mentioned?

As to my readings, no long trips yet but even when, I am in South Florida, flat as a pancake.
JimmyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRV View Post
Wkdoolin, thanks for the link. I am on the Sptinter forum as well, I read all his articles. This one is pretty good. Do you use the BG additive he mentioned?

As to my readings, no long trips yet but even when, I am in South Florida, flat as a pancake.

I have not used BG yet. Haven't found it. Had to end my part of the vacation a week ago and return to work. Wife has been in Canada rockys all week, stopped off in Great Falls.
wkdoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I was also curious and Forest River actually lists CCC unlike many places. The 2400W (MBS) is 1106 the 2430 (E450) is 3580. So, the E450 has just a hair under 2500lb's excess capacity.

When you think of that 1106 should include full fuel from what I understand. From that:

2 adults (170 x 2 -- using FAA average) = 340
Full fresh water = 290

So, assuming full tank of water and two "average" adults, and you have 476 lbs for everything else. Food, luggage, hoses, cords, BBQ grills, etc.

On top of that, as you will likely have little CCC left over (if any, that means it wan't count towards your towing or tongue weight if not flat towing). Assuming you use up most of that CCC (if not in fact being overweight) then it only leaves 4220 lbs towing capacity, even if it has a 6,000lb or 7,500lb hitch.

This was all a shock to me when I started digging into it and finding out how tight the cargo and towing capacities were on these sprinter based RVs.
Yikes, I really wish this forum allowed you to edit your posts, as I would really like to eliminate some of those typos. Was typing in a hurry and it shows.

Tags
class c, floor, ford