Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Stabilizers

Just purchased a 2013 Thor Citation 24SR and it does not have stabilizers. Are scissor stabilizers the best way to handle this situation? Suggestions welcome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Personally I would check into having hydraulic or electric levelers installed so all you have to do is push a button to level.

Check with HWH HWH® Aftermarket Leveling Systems

Or

Atwood Leveleg Levelers - Atwood Mobile

Good Luck,
Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I have electric stabilizers on the rear of my Class C. They do a good job of stabilizing most of the unit without having to get out blocks of wood and scissors jacks but they are not levelers, I still have to use blocks to level first. The front end still rocks and rolls a little with some movements inside.

Dave
Applepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies... Now my choice would be to go with expensive hydraulic stabilizers or less expensive electric dual stabilizer?

I would like to hear more from this forum on how you like/dislike your stabilizer system and if what you have really works to take out the sway?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hydraulic will level your coach and stabilize it, the electric or manual will just stabilize it, you can use them for slight angle assistance. We had the manual ones on our C made by BAL, link below
http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/af...ng%20Jacks.pdf

Personally I would spend the money and have the HWH hydraulic system installed.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the Atwood levelers on our class A Tiffin Allegro Open Road 35TSA and they level and stabilize it automatically. There are 4 electric jacks that are attached to the frame of the coach controlled by a pushbutton pad on the dash. We pull into a camping site, put the transmission in Park, set the parking/emergency brake, push the on and auto button and it self levels.

On our previous coach we had the HWH hydraulic jacks and had continuous problems, jacks bleeding down and alarms going off, ground wires on hydraulic pump not grounding and etc.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
ARC

There are stabilizers and then there are levelers. I use the Valterra RV Stabilizer for the former and level with blocks. Poor-man's approach, but these stabilizers do make a big difference.
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Stabilizers

FWIW- While shopping for a used Class C, I wanted to know what HWH jacks would cost to install if I went back to their facility in Iowa to have it done. IIRC, it was about $3600 for a manual system, and about $5K for an automatic leveling system. If you haven't done it already, call HWH sales.....great people.

The rig I ended up buying had HWH levelers (WGO factory installed) and both the PO and the original owner said they had never "hicupped" but then everyone knows it is added complexity and sooner or later................. Folks who would rather use "never fail" wood blocks and buy gas instead of "goodies" have a good argument methinks. The system probably cost me 150 to 200 lb in CCC......and the CCC for the longer Class C's is usually kinda low to begin with.

Re stability: I am disappointed. With the jacks down, you can feel the coach "wiggle" when someone moves in the opposite end of the coach. Not much different than when setting on the wheels only, IMHO. But, I love the jacks......2 minutes after parking and the fridge is level and happy. Even better, I have had two DIY tasks under the coach and I just used the jacks in the manual mode to raise one side, then slid under there on a piece of smooth masonite "with the greatest of ease" ...... and I'm 85.

I had a little 20-ft Terry travel trailer back in the 60's and (manual) scissors jacks at the corners really helped stabilize it. Without the stabilizing jacks, it was almost scary when camped in the wind.

Just my $.02...........hope it helps.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We always had jacks on our bigger rigs but don't need stabilizers with this little one and I level with the lego blocks.It only takes a few minutes.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here at Equalizer Systems, we've got a few different option for your Thor Citation. I'd be happy to talk with you and figure out what leveling or stabilizing system would be the best option for your family! I'll share some links to different set ups on our website:

Stabi-Lite Electric Class C System (Sprinter Chassis) - Equalizer Systems

Class C Auto Leveling System (Ford and Chevy Chassis) - Equalizer Systems

Class C Manual Leveling System (Ford & Chevy Chassis) ***NEW*** - Equalizer Systems

The two hydraulic systems are listed for Ford and Chevy chassis, but we also have a mounting system for Sprinter based motor homes.
EQSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #11

To ARC:
Do you use 1 or 2 Valtera Stabilizers?
Where do you place yours?
Thanks
Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #12
ARC

larrydp

I actually use three Valterra frames for stability: One under the rear bumper, one under the (deployed - driver's side) slide, and one under the (passenger's side) LP tank compartment.

ARC is offline   Reply With Quote