Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Stabilizers on Class C

I have a 2005 30' Four Winds Majestic on a Ford E-450 Chassis. We drove it from California to New York and return. It handled really great. Just one
problem, when parked it would bounce about when people were moving around and at night when the kids in the front moved around on their beds.
I am thinking about adding some scissor jacks to front and rear and was
wondering the best place to position them. Anyone have any ideas, would
appreciate any help.
__________________

__________________
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bearaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 288
Position and attach the rear scissor jacks behind the rear wheels on the frame. Attach them to the actual truck frame rails, not the extension rails that were added to increae length. You will able to see where the extensions were added. I got a metal drill and bolted them to the frame. The fronts are a little trickier. You can attach them to the very front but there is not much room around the front frame, bumper and radiator. You can mount them further back behind the front wheels right behind the cab. You have to look to see if you have a clear spot on the frame rails. There is sometimes a propane tank or storage compartment in the way.
__________________

__________________
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
milasman's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 883
Helps some, but you will still feel every vibration from movement.
__________________
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
Position and attach the rear scissor jacks behind the rear wheels on the frame. Attach them to the actual truck frame rails, not the extension rails that were added to increae length. You will able to see where the extensions were added. I got a metal drill and bolted them to the frame. The fronts are a little trickier. You can attach them to the very front but there is not much room around the front frame, bumper and radiator. You can mount them further back behind the front wheels right behind the cab. You have to look to see if you have a clear spot on the frame rails. There is sometimes a propane tank or storage compartment in the way.
bearaboo - I am just curious why you say not to attach to extension rails. I was just looking at adding some stabilizers and was planning to attach to the extension rails...my thought was to relieve some of the load when the coach is parked in storage, and since this is the bedroom furthest from the wheels (longer arm) it would reduce the movement even more. I am not plannin to lift the RV from that point, but felt that these extensions rails should be strong enough... Your thoughts are appreciated. BTW, I am looking at installing the Ultra-Fab Products Power Twin II stabilizers.
Thanks - Jeff
__________________
Priscilla213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bearaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 288
Hi Jeff,

Looking at what you want install, I don't see any problem mounting them in the back. I thought you were going install something like BAL scissor jacks. The Ultra Fabs
distribute the weight evenly over a distance. I was considering installing a leveling system, but it was cost prohibitive. When getting an estimate, they indicated that they would be installed on the truck frame rail, not the extension. But a leveling system has the ability to lift in addition to stabilizing. Since I didn't go for the system, they suggested the scissors jacks mounted on the frame in the same spot. My guess is that the stresses at the point of the extension might cause some frame problems when lifting/leveling the unit. Good luck with your Ultra Fabs. They should work fine. Sorry about my misunderstanding what you wanted to install.
__________________
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
Hi Jeff,

Looking at what you want install, I don't see any problem mounting them in the back. I thought you were going install something like BAL scissor jacks. The Ultra Fabs
distribute the weight evenly over a distance. I was considering installing a leveling system, but it was cost prohibitive. When getting an estimate, they indicated that they would be installed on the truck frame rail, not the extension. But a leveling system has the ability to lift in addition to stabilizing. Since I didn't go for the system, they suggested the scissors jacks mounted on the frame in the same spot. My guess is that the stresses at the point of the extension might cause some frame problems when lifting/leveling the unit. Good luck with your Ultra Fabs. They should work fine. Sorry about my misunderstanding what you wanted to install.
Bearaboo,

Thanks for the reply, understand about the scissors versus ultra fabs. A stabilizing system is all I am looking for...my leveling system consists do a few pieces of wood. A leveling system would be nice, but I would imagine the cost is high. Kind regards, Jeff
__________________
Priscilla213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
The frame extensions are added after-market and are there to support the rear of the motorhome house.Adding a jack or the likes at the back will put too much stress on the point that the extensions were welded on. Stick to mounting them off the main truck chassis.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The frame extensions are added after-market and are there to support the rear of the motorhome house.Adding a jack or the likes at the back will put too much stress on the point that the extensions were welded on. Stick to mounting them off the main truck chassis.

Ken
Ken, if the frame extensions are strong enough to hold weight of coach and hitch younger weight, would it not be strong enough to handle stabilizers? (Provided you do not lift, but just take up the weight). I am thinking of just using them to zero load the structure. Your thoughts?
Jeff
__________________
Priscilla213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
milasman's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 883
I mounted a set of scissor jacks to the frame extensions behind right where they were welded on. It was the only place in the rear that was accessible the reach between storage compartments in order to jack them up and down. I have had no problems of any kind to report. That area is plenty sturdy enough to stabilize your rig. If it can hold the house and tow a car, it can take a little weight off the suspension.
__________________
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
milasman's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 883
OMG! The frame extensions are bent. Just kidding, works fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130706_211958.png
Views:	134
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	41858
__________________
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla213 View Post
Ken, if the frame extensions are strong enough to hold weight of coach and hitch younger weight, would it not be strong enough to handle stabilizers? (Provided you do not lift, but just take up the weight). I am thinking of just using them to zero load the structure. Your thoughts?
Jeff
The difference is the amount of weight that can be put on the frame extensions. The load is cantilevered and the house box laod is spread pretty evenly over the length.

If you install the stabilizers out at the end of the extensions, you are applying a point load and the distance back to the stabilizer creates a lever arm and applies a moment to torque to the attachment pont of the extensions. The closer to the actual frame, the less the moment armwill apply to the joint.

As long as you apply just a little pressure, and do not try to lift the RV, the weight should not be such a big issue.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
milasman's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 883
Why in the world would you install the stabilizers out at the end of the extensions? If you have extensions then you have a longer tail, and anyone who has had a longer tail on a class C knows that they have to worry about tail drag. First drive way or parking lot with a little incline and you will drag those stabilizers or rip them right off. Try and install them as close to the rear tires as comfortable and you should have no problems.
__________________
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 225
I have scissor jacks mounted in the only place there is room on the back of our class c.....on the frame extensions.
They have been like that for over 4 years now with many, many trips under their belt.
As long as you don't get "stupid" with them and try to lift the coach off of the ground, you should have no problems at all.
__________________
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
milasman's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 883
Concur, just can't mount them clear in the back on a 32 footer or you will drag and possibly rip them right off, especially entering and exiting drive ways and parking lots with a little incline or decline. You might be able to mount in the back of say a 25 footer or less and get away with out dragging on the ground.
__________________

__________________
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.