Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Jeeper View Post
I'm at a loss as to why it will not charge when plugged into shore power.
You have a lot of good solutions if your chassis battery(s) are not being charge. However, to determine if you have this feature measure the voltage on the coach batteries and the chassis batteries when connected to shore power. If the voltages are the same, about 13.2-136 VDC then both battery banks are being charged. If the chassis battery voltage is lower then you should use the solutions offered to prevent future chassis battery discharge problems. Good luck!

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just another wrinkle here...most modern engines and drive trains need the battery to keep stored running parameters active in the computer...

Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
You have a lot of good solutions if your chassis battery(s) are not being charge. However, to determine if you have this feature measure the voltage on the coach batteries and the chassis batteries when connected to shore power. If the voltages are the same, about 13.2-136 VDC then both battery banks are being charged. If the chassis battery voltage is lower then you should use the solutions offered to prevent future chassis battery discharge problems. Good luck!
I have a 2011 Impulse as well and the chassis battery is NOT charged when connected to shore power. The manual provides a description of the charging of the house batteries when connected to shore power. Nothing on the charging of the chassis battery. They also point out that the steps AND the slide are controlled by the chassis battery.

They recommend disconnecting when not in use for long periods and suggest one not leave shore power on during such periods.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Just another wrinkle here...most modern engines and drive trains need the battery to keep stored running parameters active in the computer...
And that is a PITA as there is a restarting process described by Ford for both the MH and my Flex (and Escape).

The Allison transmissions in my previous MHs would have to relearn my driving habits after reconnecting.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow

Don't share that view at all. If you don't disconnect the battery some items still work - like the power to the steps for example )and often propane detectors). Then you better make sure that switch is turned off. There are all kinds of drains on different MHs and popping the hood a few times a year doesn't wear anything out. My last DP was an HR and it had kill switches for both the house and chassis batteries. The one prior to that (04 Journey 39W) only had a kill switch for the house batteries and the chassis batteries could be dead in no time. Prior to the Impulse we had a Kodiak and the chassis battery was outside - under the co-pilot. That made it very difficult and inconvenient to put a kill switch on. There was a positive post under the hood and I "carefully" disconnected it and covered it when not in use. If I didn't do this the battery would be flat within a month. There were other connections to that battery and one was the steps.

When we head to FLA we tow the Escape. The Flex goes into the garage AND THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED as recommended by Ford. If not, after a two month sit the battery will be flat. Same thing happened with our Tahoe and one can find these issues discussed on vehicle forums (non-RV type). The kill switch I put on the Flex just would not fit properly so I now just disconnect the negative cable and carefully wrap it to make sure it never touches metal.

Ah, I see what you're getting at. I wasn't thinking from a stationary standpoint. I'm a boondocker so I had to open and close the hood every day. So in my situation the toggle switch inside was better.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKwanderer View Post
Ah, I see what you're getting at. I wasn't thinking from a stationary standpoint. I'm a boondocker so I had to open and close the hood every day. So in my situation the toggle switch inside was better.
Yes, your situation is different. I don't bother hitting the kill switch under the hood unless we are going to be standing still for several days or if it is in storage or in FLA next to our park model for the winter. A night or two at an RV park is no problem. I do have a battery minder but I found that just disconnecting is a lot easier since the battery stays at 12.7V for many months (which surprised me).

If I were having to do in nightly I'd consider a switch inside as well (like most race cars have on the outside - which I assume is what you have). Only issue is that for a longer sit you should see what might bypasses your switch.

The disconnect and a switch is a good theft deterrent. Don't know who would ever want to steal one of these things though. I figure we'd have to pay someone to take it.

Don
Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had the same problem with our MH discharging while parked for a long time. Winnebago started installing Trik L Starts on '06 & up DP I believe. Ours being an '04 did not have one. The Trik L Start looks like a cool idea but when we first noticed this we were away from home and just ran out to Sears and bought a $30 charger. Never looked back after that and just stick the charger on the batteries if we are parked for more than a couple of weeks. The MH has an outside outlet close to the battery trays so it is a snap.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I have a 2011 Impulse as well and the chassis battery is NOT charged when connected to shore power. The manual provides a description of the charging of the house batteries when connected to shore power. Nothing on the charging of the chassis battery. They also point out that the steps AND the slide are controlled by the chassis battery.

They recommend disconnecting when not in use for long periods and suggest one not leave shore power on during such periods.
I'm usually parked on shore power for 2 to 3 months at a time. When I had my 2000 suncruiser I installed a Trik - L - Start and no more dead chassis battery. I don't know what the manufacturers expect people to do who full time and park for extended periods of time. Perhaps those coaches aren't made for full timing.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #23
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I believe the trik-l-start is three wires and works great. If you add solar you can keep everything up year round unless under the trees.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
Your engine battery is a different kind of battery than your coach batteries are. Your engine battery is charged strictly by your alternator as it takes a different kind of charge. This also keeps the coach and engine batteries separate so that one doesn't cause the other to go down. You may want to take your engine battery to your local mega mart or favorite automotive store and check to see if it will take a charge. If it is dead replace it if it dies again quickly have your alternator checked. Hope this helps.

If you were using the cigarette lighter power adapter in the dash that is generally strictly hooked to the engine battery and yes that could after long use cause the battery to lose charge. I would recommend getting a 12v adapter installed that is attached to your coach battery or if you are hooked to shore power just use the power adapter. Since you are using a computer in your coach I would also recommend getting an inline surge protector that hooks into the box and then you hook your shore power into it. No one wants to replace every electronic device because of a surge.
I have the inline surge protector already on that one. I replaced the battery and problem solved, as it was bad.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark,

If your batt. compartment is outside- that solution may be ok...but when you want to go camping and the starter won't crank- you'll have to use the boost switch, and then hook up your charger. (Not to mention your battery has been flat...not good for it.). You should really consider the Trickle Start- it's super easy to install! Hang on to the charger, you'll find other uses for it.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #26

One more opinion

I agree that most engine batteries are not charged on land power. However there is a simple fix that requires no attention after installing. I also drive a Harley and find that a ""Battery Tender"" is the answer for the non driving charging. A Battery Tender is designed to charge the battery ONLY when it needs charging. It is not a TRICKLE charger. They can over charge a battery. And concerning your laptop and or phone charging,,, Buy a small ""Inverter""
(( It changes 12v to 110 ) They are inexpensive and do a great job. We use ours when we are "dry camping". It might cost about $30.It plugs into the 12 volt power plug. A decent Battery Tender will cost about $65. I leave it plugged in full time. When I am on land power, my engine battery is always charged. Happy trails to yall
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #27

I had a 06 Cambria that I had the Trik-L-Start on for 4 years and loved it. I now have a 12 Aspect and it was the first modifaction I made. As long as you have shore power it works great.

Tags
battery, power