Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, we made the change of downsizing to a Class C ( HR 31PBS) from the HR Class A Endeavor. My question is for all of those who have gone down steep grades with your Class C. I really learned to appreciate my exhaust brake in the Class A. Now, as I am picking up the Class C next week, what do you do on these long winding, very steep grades? Also, I am keeping my Brake Buddy from the Class A for the toad, as I suspect it will work fine on the Class C, am I correct? Steepest grade so far was 10 degreees, and made me glad to see the end of it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #2

We used to have a 24' trek with a Chevy engine and towed a Honda station wagon. On steep grades we came down in first or second gear. Yep, we just crawled down real slow so as not to over heat the brakes. The Brake Buddy will help too.

Our beautiful little dog Bear
jjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Slow WAY down at the crest of the hill and gear WAY down, all the way to 1st if needed. Do not ride the brakes all the way down. Instead, brake hard and then release the pedal to let the brakes cool a bit before applying again.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #4

You do not say if the new C is ohn a Ford or Workhorse/Chevy chassis.

The Ford will down shift as you step on the brake. I prefer to down shift to a lower gear manualy, myself. Just pump your brakes to keep speed down. DO NOT keep your foot on them.

Every place we go here is either up or down.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Rv Roamer. Brake hard instead of continuous braking.

I use the tow haul button on mild grades and the brakes on steep grades. Reason is I dont like the rpms to go up to 4,000.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #6

I have a 1986 Class "C" with a ford 460 engine. I am towing a Chevy Cavalier which uses a Brake Buddy. When going down a steep grade in use first gear and pump the brakes as needed. I will use second gear on the lesser grades. It seems to work well, and the brakes do not over heat.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes View Post
Okay, we made the change of downsizing to a Class C ( HR 31PBS) from the HR Class A Endeavor. My question is for all of those who have gone down steep grades with your Class C. I really learned to appreciate my exhaust brake in the Class A. Now, as I am picking up the Class C next week, what do you do on these long winding, very steep grades? Also, I am keeping my Brake Buddy from the Class A for the toad, as I suspect it will work fine on the Class C, am I correct? Steepest grade so far was 10 degree's, and made me glad to see the end of it.

20 Years ago when I started driving long distance semi's I worked as a team driver,no engine braking allowed as it would wake up your team driver. We were doing this in British Columbia were there are some 9% + grades 4 to 7 miles long.With close to 130,000lbs behind us. The "trick" is to go slow,in low gear & let the engine do the braking.
A saying we had was" it's easier to shift up a gear if you can than to "try" and shift down when you can't"
Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Trucker101 I thought the saying was You can go down a hill a million times slow, but only once to fast.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Trucker101 I thought the saying was You can go down a hill a million times slow, but only once to fast.
yup, thats another one.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
By stepping "hard" on your brakes you will allow them to cool down (between applications) and you will activate the Brake Buddy - which will assist you in slowing down. Let your motor hold you back until the rpms get to about 4,000 the spike the brakes again and slow down 10-20 mph. You may need to set your Brake Buddy one (I believe 6) setting more sensitive. It is almost like throwing out an anchor but doesn’t seem to burn the toads brakes.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #11

When I took School Bus driving class (and for some reason, they seem to harp on Safety), they told us to go down hills 10 MPH at a time....

Lets say your down hill speed is 55 mph....when you get up to "60", hit the brakes until you are down to "50"....then release the brakes until you get up to "60" again...repeat as needed.

Down shifting will help the engine work for you, but not quite the same as the diesels will.

I went over the Smokies, from Tenn. to NC when we bought our rig...and I did the "10 MPH rule" with much success...brakes were fine, and we've got a pretty good size "C".

I think you'll be fine!

PapPappy is offline   Reply With Quote