Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
As I read this thread, my husband has our MH (Ford E-350- Class C) at the dealer we bought it from having the Steer Safe installed. Will let you know how we like it. From all the comments, it sure sounds like it is worth the investment.
It was installed. They put the Safety Plus - Silver series on our coach. It's all they use. Was more than $349 (Camping World). DH said drive home was great. He actually had wind and many large rigs on the return trip and it was effortless. After going around a corner the steering returned to center and was very easy to drive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Sounds like a must-have system!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed our new Steer Safe system today on our Aspect and aside from lousy instructions (no decent photos) and a missing set screw, the installation went smoothly. Had to run to the hardware store to replace the missing set screw. All in all took about 2 hours (including trip to store).
I did a test drive and immediately noticed a difference. It was a breezy day here in Chicagoland and we got on the tollway and when we got a gust the rig didn't end up halfway in the other lane. You could still tell it was a gust but the problem has always been getting pushed around and then over-correcting. That wasn't an issue today.
The real test will come next month on our big trip, but I'm pretty sure it will be a big change.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the input......... We pick our new RV up next month and will drive 630 miles home. I've asked the dealer if he can (will) install Steer-Safe. Was wondering about a rear stab bar also. Only information I have is what I'm getting off this site.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #19

Steer Safe Happy?

Please let me (us) know how you like the system. Just installed the system on our new (old) project RV, '97 class C, Ford E350. Due to other work on the RV, will be a few weeks before a test drive. Did find out how important tire pressure was on steering if it helps. After new tire install, the rig handled poorly, difficult to control in wind, big truck pass, over correction, etc. Tires were pressured by the dealer to 80 psi (max pressure). After weighing, reset pressures to 60 on rear, 65 front, improved handling to an amazing and comfortable drive extent. Hoping the Steer Safe will give it that little extra so the wife is relaxed driving it.
Also, found Steer Safe very responsive to phone queries, their installation instructions leave a bit to be desired.

Have fun!

Greg, Karen and the pups (Atticus and Clementine, Lab and Golden).
Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had SteerSafe on my old rig and installed it on this one as soon as I bought it. It's nice to not notice the big rigs going by and the wind gusts having no effect. I can actually drive with one hand and have my coffee cup in the other----only when it's safe to do so!!!! The big plus is being able to drive a long distance and arrive without being pooped. Oh, the "White Knuckle" syndrome disapeared too
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff
I noticed on Steer Safe's website the Ford e450 chassis was not listed, only the 250 and 350.
Or maybe I missed it.....
Does anyone have one of these on a Class C e450?
Just curious. I heard Winnebago was installing similar steering safety systems on new rigs. True or false? It seems it would be standard for safety and ease of driving. Cost is small relative to the rig cost.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was curious so I just went outside to check. I have a 2012 Itasca Impulse 31CP Silver I just took delivery of Memorial Day weekend. There is a steering stablizer (sort of like a shock) that is mounted on a sway bar. That is the only thing I see.

After reading this thread I bought the Steer-Safe from CW about a month before we took delivery. Haven't installed it yet though. Now since this is my first MH I don't have any experience with driveability. Driving it the 110 miles home its kind of like a Pickup with a full load of wood, light in the front. Didn't experience any wind or big rigs on the return trip either. So I may hold off installing it until I get some more miles under my belt.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #23

Steer Safe's on a Class A can be very helpful. Less noticeable on a Class C. In either case, they need to be installed correctly, without messing up geometry of the suspension. On a new unit you need to be aware of the manufacturer's warranty about modifications.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbtEngr View Post
I was curious so I just went outside to check. I have a 2012 Itasca Impulse 31CP Silver I just took delivery of Memorial Day weekend. There is a steering stablizer (sort of like a shock) that is mounted on a sway bar. That is the only thing I see.

After reading this thread I bought the Steer-Safe from CW about a month before we took delivery. Haven't installed it yet though. Now since this is my first MH I don't have any experience with driveability. Driving it the 110 miles home its kind of like a Pickup with a full load of wood, light in the front. Didn't experience any wind or big rigs on the return trip either. So I may hold off installing it until I get some more miles under my belt.
I haven't yet concluded that a steering stabilizer is necessary. Mine also has the stabilizer that looks like a small Safe-T-Plus. Let me know what you find after installing the Steer-Safe please.

Thanks
Don
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I haven't yet concluded that a steering stabilizer is necessary. Mine also has the stabilizer that looks like a small Safe-T-Plus. Let me know what you find after installing the Steer-Safe please.

Thanks
Don
I haven't installed it yet. As you said I don't think it's necessary on a new Winnebago/Itasca, at least from what I'm experiencing. Actually we are going to go past a CW this week and I'm thinking of returning it.

We went camping this weekend (a 100 mile round trip) and I still didn't feel like the MH was handling all that bad. Again no big trucks going past at speed or wind.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #26

We drove to Florida and back for the winter - 2500 miles - towing a 2011 Escape. No concerns.

Don