Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #15

Also, the reference I made to front axel weight was to imply that more weight on the front axel is better for handling then a lesser weight. Not to forget the 4600# maximum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
here is an update on my steering problem. had taken the MH into the people that did all the front end work. They had to adjust the steering gear box. They said that this was most unusual, for a new steering box to be off like that . Most comes preset. But things does happen I guess. Anyway they deflated the front tires from 80 lbs to 65 lbs leaving 80 lbs in the dual rear tires as per the Four Winds door jam sticker called for. Upon taking the MH out on interstate 24, it now drives like an SUV!! I normally drive an rv at speeds of 55-60 MPH, but I tried it at 70 and it was such a different MH and is now a pleasure to drive. The handling and ride is like it should be. The mechanic told me that he could still adjust it more if it needs to be, but after several miles on the interstate and several miles on a 2 lane country road I believe the problem has been solved! thanks to everyone for their help , suggestions and advise!

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #17

You got to wonder why a test drive is not on their list of things to do after replacing something like a steering box.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
you are correct Harvard. They say they did a test drive, but I really don't believe they did. To tell you the truth it was very dangerous IMO.,
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you got your problem resolved.

I've been working on similar issues with ours since we bought it a year ago. Following up on what Harvard said, in my research I found that Ford targets 30% minimum for front axle loading. With our rigs having large basements, a big rear overhang, and tanks that may be aft of the rear axle, it's very easy to throw off the balance. I weighed my axles separately and found that even with relatively light loading, my rear axle didn't have all that much margin.

Just food for thought.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
another update on my MH steering Problem. I did take it back again for just a little bit more adjustment. went on a 200 mile trip and by golly now it drives and steers as good as my pickup. they really got it right this time. I love the way it handles now. weight was never a problem
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #21

My friend has an A class 36foot that had a problem much like yours. I helped him install air bags on the rear axle and just 40 psi in the air bags moved just enough weight ahead to solve the problem. It even helped with the wind from the large trucks in the next lane.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUME View Post
40 psi in the air bags moved just enough weight ahead to solve the problem. .
I have seen this said before but I just cannot get my head around the physics of how raising the rear end adds any significant amount of weight to the front. Just have to keep thinking and maybe it will come around.

Tags
steering