Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by milasman
Installed Hellwig front and rear, didn't seem to make a big difference on the way to Vegas, however, had a car on a dolly in tow so I don't know what the difference is not towing. Maybe I expected to much.....
I find that disappointing. I was able to tell right away. Huge difference on mine.

Viv and Dutch Freiberger
2015 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
Lexington Park, MD
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1999 31' Minnie Winnie on the E450 SD chassis and it rolled all over the place driving on any kind of road. First I added Firestone air springs to the rear and Ride Rite air springs to the front....helped a tiny bit.

Next I added Bilstein HD shocks....this helped some more.

Finally I added the IPD (now Road Master) antiroll bars with urethane bushings to the front and rear...they helped a bunch.

You need the shocks and antiroll bars on both the front and the rear axles.

The E450 does not have enough suspension to handle that big box hanging on it. It exhibits what is termed roll steer or bump steer. The body rolls to one side, you correct the steering and it rolls to the other side and you correct the steering. You roll down the road see-sawing back and forth.

There is a need to stiffen or stop the side to side roll. The HD antiroll bars and HD shocks do the job.

I would say that the modifications I made were ranked
Air springs...15%
Anto-roll bars....45%

After the mods, the RV was easy to drive and no fighting.

Any of the steering stabilizers are just a crutch and only serve to mask the real problem.

Of course, once you get all of this done, you need to load it up and head for an independent truck front end alignment shop...forget Ford here. Also cehck your weights and make sure you are not overloaded on either axle.

When we were loaded for a trip, full fuel, 1/4 tank of fresh water and the copilot, we weighed 13,950# on a chassis rated fro 14, 050#. Front axle was about 75# below rating and the rear axle about 25# below rating. That is the reason for 1/4 tank of water and empty waste tanks.

That is my experience and cures for the problem.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Why an alignment? Did the sway bars and shocks throw off caster and camber angles? If the RV tracks straight, adding shocks and sway bars should not throw alignment off, correct?
milasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just bought the hellwig sway bars. Waiting for a sunny day to install them.
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler, 2000 Harley 96in. Soft tail
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Proper front end alignment and Bilstein shocks made a huge difference in my rig - didn't need to to anything else.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Front Alignment

I have the anit-sway bars and the steering stablizer as well as ride rite springs in the rear. We had put about 3,000 miles on it after we bought it last summer and I decided I was not impressed with the driving. I took it to a local shop who claimed over the phone he could align it, but when I got there he said it was to big. Since I trusted the guy wouldn't screw me over I told him to check for any thing that needed to be replaced in the front end and rear axle before I took it to someplace that I knew could align it for me. He noticed it had a bad tow in(I think it was, but it could have been towed out as well) and fixed it the best he could with a calibrater he said. The thing drives like a dream now, granted I have only driven about 25 miles since than. On the way home I had about a 20-25 mph wind straight at the side and it handled just like our Honda Odessy. Unbelievable, he has me somewhat believing that I don't even need to go get a computer alignement.
beeker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Be sure to check your steering components for ware. A good alignment and new steering damper will do wonders for handling.. I replaced my original worn sway bar bushings with polyurethane replacement bushing. It made a difference. Much cheaper than aftermarket kit. They won't fix worn part..
The kids are only young once, take them camping
ClassCnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
E350/E450 +Caster

Originally Posted by ClassCnewbie View Post
Be sure to check your steering components for ware. A good alignment and new steering damper will do wonders for handling.. I replaced my original worn sway bar bushings with polyurethane replacement bushing. It made a difference. Much cheaper than aftermarket kit. They won't fix worn part..
and a "good alignment" will address having the caster set to at least +5.0 degrees, the range is about +1.5 degrees to +7.0 degrees.

Here is a link to my E450 alignment experience.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote