Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Storing your RV

this would be at your house where you have juice. should you all ways have it plugged into to 120v outlet or just turn the battery switch off ? and when plugged in it charges the rv battery AND the chassis battery ? yes I'm new to RV's
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Answer depends on how your RV is wired. I leave mine plugged in and everything live including the household refer. Been doing that ever since we bought the stick house 31 years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

well I can find out how its wired since the dealer I bought it from is like a mile from my house. I may just walk the dogs there for a little exercise. they did mention to turn the battery switch off when RV just sitting.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We found that the OEM charger/converter in our model's line will ever-so-slightly cook off the water in the house batteries over long periods of time...caused by having a 4stage unit.

For long term storage on shore power, the batteries need a "float charge" or be isolated.

So we would leave the RV plugged-in, but isolate the batteries with a mechanical switch.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
While you are finding out how it's wired, find out if there is a disconnect switch for the house batteries. Smoke detectors, LP alarm, electronics will all drain away their charge. In my MH, the house batteries charge up when hooked to shore power, but not the chassis battery. It has a separate disconnect, under the dash.

I have to store my MH a couple miles away in a storage facility with no power available. I always switch from USE to STORE for the house batteries and pull the disconnect for the chassis battery. Since I started doing this, I haven't had any problems with the chassis battery being run down.

Oh and I always top of the water in the house batteries and make sure they're fully charged before a long storage period. In extremely cold weather, I just pull them both out and taken them home to be on a trickle charger.