Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #1

Sturdiest, upscale Class C advice?

We've been looking...and looking...and just getting confused. We like the looks of the Jayco Greyhawk, and are looking for something in the 31-33 ft. range. We are concerned about chassis, weight load, but really a C would probably work best for us. I've heard some people just go on to an A, but we would just like a nicer, higher end and better built C if we can find one from a reputable company that puts out a good product.

I'd like to find something with 2 slides, NO BUNK BEDS!! It'll just be us two most of the time.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having had a large Minnie Winnie class C, you will be running at or over the weight limits. If I were to go back to a motorhome, I would rather have a 32' class A over the C for better weight carrying ability and a better suspension.

You could go to a Super C on the Kodiak chassis with the Duramax diesel.

You need to go visit a dealer and drive both a large C and a small a to see the differences and pay close attention to the Net Cargo Capacity (NCC).

Ken

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Ken. That's where common sense keeps leading me anyhow. Unless we look harder at the Gulfstream Super C's. Now to just try to find a diesel that's just 32-24 ft. Just don't want the hassle of trying to park a huger boat than I have to.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #4

Everything TXiceman said and...

I have been told and believe, that the Class C's with slides are very much overweight, even half-a' fueled with minimal cargo. And then too, a "nicer" C is gonna have a ton (literally) more goodies such as fancy trim, etc. All that makes for too much weight IMHO. I would suggest you go up to the Super C rather than bloat out a std. C. Talk about a boat...and the chassis is gonna be strained big time. The mfr.'s used to carefully conceal the true operational weight, nowadays I think it's stated on most spec sheets. But look at those figures, do the math. Look at the tires they come with. Can you say "Maxxed out?"

This, and my limited ability to use the RV right now, has kept me from buying a new Class C. I have friends with a new Super C, loaded, beautiful. Even that one when loaded, sags badly in the rear. Not well engineered, the mfr. went cheap instead of adding enough spring. Two other buddies have Monaco Diplomats...a whole different level. Those are built to take the weight. I am with you though, it's no fun to manuever a house around the roads, having to more carefully plan stops, etc.

I will eventually go with a smaller, up to 26' Class C, with NO slides to save weight. IMHO the slides on a C, in additon to being heavy, sometimes poorly thought out add-on's, are not required. I am not in the rig that much, rather enjoying the outdoors when not sleeping or sometimes eating. Outside is where it's at for me. A water tight box, reasonably well appointed with a good bed, is all i want.

I'd never spend 250K on a Diplomat, but it's sure nice to walk into the lavish interior, space and all the goodies! Some of the lower level Class A's are real nice too. I much prefer something smaller. Heck the smaller rigs, with a V10, etc. are sports car-like in comparison and much more user friendly in every way. JMO
Old 12-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Dynamax By a Mile

In my opinion Dynamax is by far the best higher level production class C. VERY very high quality in everything you can see or touch. They have a number of lengths and levels. They were the only super C we saw with quality levels similar to Country Coach and Foretravel.

The latest issue of Motorhome Magazine features one on the front page.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went from a 26' Class C to a 32' Class A. Looked at 31' Class C's but found that for us the Class A was better. Worried about the back extensions in the Class C, and other things took us to the Class A. So far so good, but ours is 6 years old at purchase time.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #7

Not really sure what the upper end is, but we purchased a new SuperMax SuperC and like it so far. Working with Gulfstream to get some of the manufacturer or lot defects worked out.

Other than that, its on a dodge 5500 chassis with 10,000lb towing capacity. Came with a 6.7 Turbo cummins rubber band and its at 305hp. Lots of chipping options for more torque, hp etc. 2 Slides and we had to have bunks. Ours is 36', but there are shorter non bunk models. Unfortunatly they stoped making them. however you can call Steve at Gulf Stream and he might be able to find you one. Lots of dealerships have gone under and they had to buy back some of the coaches.

Conquest Motorhomes Class C Division of Gulf Stream Coach
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Tangomarie, most of the conventional (Ford E450, Ford E350 and Chev) units that are 31 to 33 ft long really suffer from minimal carrying capacity. In addition, some have a short wheelbase that results in a poor wheelbase to length ratio (under .55 and down to .52 and even less) which is a good indication of poor handling.

Our previous MH was a gasser C Class on the Kodiak chassis (8.1 Vortec) with 2 slides. It was 32.5 ft long. It had a decent wb/length ratio and good carrying capacity. We bought this unit because we wanted to tow a Tahoe, which was easy to tow behind our previous 41 ft DP but which, at 5700 lbs would exceed the towing capability of most conventional class C MH's. In our view the Seneca (diesel) did not have the capacity to tow a Tahoe and that has been demonstrated by a number of owners who find their combined weight when towing a much lighter vehicle exceeds 26,000 lbs. A beefier model was used by Four Winds but GM shut down the Kodiak operation before many could be produced - they had a GCWR of 30,000 lbs.

The Dynamax recommended above would be a good selection provided you went for a F550 version since the E450 versions would not meet your requirements. I think the F550 with the diesel option would be very good given that it has a GVWR of 19,000 lbs and a GCVR of 33,000 lbs. Only the IF310 comes close to meeting your needs. From what I can see a well equipped IF310 will list for upwards of $200k. Class C Motorhome | Ford® F550 | Touring Sedan | Isata F-Series | Floor Plans | Dynamax Corp.

From there you move up to the DynaQuest 300 and list price runs about a quarter million. Inventory | Dynamax Corp.

If you weren't limiting length to 31 to 33 ft the new Jayco Seneca on the Freightliner chassis would be worth considering but its two models (coming in the next 2 to 3 months) will be 36 ft+.

I wish manufacturers would recognize that there is a market for shorter class C units that have a decent wheelbase and good carrying capacity. We recently downsized to a 27 ft 10 inch C that has only one small slide and no levelling jacks. It has adequate carrying capacity and the wb/length ratio is OK. We also downsized our toad by over 2000 lbs. So far so good and we are pleased with the new combination. When we had a 41 ft DP we bought the lot and park model next to our lot in our RV park in Florida. We felt the big DP was a waste sitting there with just my son in it. So we downsized to the Kodiak. That was really bigger than we needed (other than to tow the Tahoe) so when it was time for new cars it gave us the opportunity to downsize the MH again. In one month we went from 3 bow ties to 3 blue ovals (Equinox traded for the Escape, Tahoe for a Flex, Kodiak for an E450). We would have liked something even shorter but for 3 people (our 36 year old son who has Down Syndrome travels with us) this was about as short as we could go.

You are going to have an interesting search to find your ideal motorhome. Good luck. Please let us know what you purchase.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangomarie View Post
we would just like a nicer, higher end and better built C if we can find one from a reputable company that puts out a good product.
Lazy Daze
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangomarie View Post
We've been looking...and looking...and just getting confused. We like the looks of the Jayco Greyhawk, and are looking for something in the 31-33 ft. range. We are concerned about chassis, weight load, but really a C would probably work best for us. I've heard some people just go on to an A, but we would just like a nicer, higher end and better built C if we can find one from a reputable company that puts out a good product.

I'd like to find something with 2 slides, NO BUNK BEDS!! It'll just be us two most of the time.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help...
One of the issues you have is that Jayco does not publish the as built weight (at least I don't see it on the web site). We have a Coachmen 32BH which I know you don't want or need but it has a 12,316 lbs rolling build weight with full fuel tank according to Coachmen. But I digress.

The Coachmen Concord 300 TS is a two slide model with and as built weight of 12,110 lbs Coachmen RV - Class C Motorhomes - Concord - Floorplan - with a GVW of 14,500 you have about 2,400 lbs or over a ton of CC. Now I am a newbie but I am not sure how many people go down the highway with full fresh and wast water tanks which on this model would eat up about 900 pounds. SO assuming you were willing to fill up close to camp or better use full hookup sites and drain your black and gray water tanks before you leave you really have quite a bit of capacity. Coachmen since purchased by Forest River (I believe may have done it before) went to aluminum framing and Azdel Superlight walls which are almost immune to moisture and as or more important to you lighter than most traditional construction methods. For all I know the Jayco may be in the same boat, I understand there is normally a sticker somewhere in the Coach that states the rolling as built weight.

As far as towing I plan to tow a V8 4Runner (4,200) 4 down with a aux breaking system. I reached out to 5 Startuning and got the ECM upgrade which adds HP/Torque but more importantly improves the transmission shift points/pressure etc.

Point is unless you are full timers or plan on primarily not staying at full hookup sites most of the time you should be fine. If there are only two of you (I have at least 5 often 6) you can deal with a smaller/lighter toad. With any reasonable restraint (talk to DW) on what you pack/carry I believe you could easily stay away from an overweight condition.

Now to say it again... I am new at this so I will defer to those with years/miles on me. But before you bail on a E450 based coach do the math I did a very simply excel spread sheet and have a good idea on what I can get away with. However if you say.... Know what I don't ever want to worry about it... Super C or A may be right for you I just did not have the coin. Three Kids in private school and a teen age driver means a Class C or nothing for me

Oh BTW if you do the math on the wheelbase/length my coach has a ratio of over 57... Which is well into the should be fine category.....
Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
If you want sturdy, this one will suit you . I have seen these, they are a piece of art and the only class c I would buy. Custom Built Limousines, Shuttle Buses, Luxury Coach Sales: Krystal
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you want sturdy, this one will suit you . I have seen these, they are a piece of art and the only class c I would buy. Custom Built Limousines, Shuttle Buses, Luxury Coach Sales: Krystal
Can't say I share that view. We are a party of three and would not likely buy a C without the bunk over the cab.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class C

So, have you decided which way to go yet? Do you have a range of prices - will you be buying new or used?
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Can't say I share that view. We are a party of three and would not likely buy a C without the bunk over the cab.
It is obvious that you went no further than the Sprinter. If you would have looked, you would have seen a over cab model with two slides.

Oh yes, it can also tow up to 14,000 pounds.