Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Sulphur smell from Gray Tank

We have a new Entegra/Jayco 30X. When the water heater heats up water and it is used for dishes or showering, a sulphur odor comes through the sink drains. We have flushed the water heater a number of times but hot water still smells BAD! Anybody have this problem and, if so, how did you solve it???

I also have a water leak somewhere around the toilet. It’s clean water but can’t tell where it’s coming from...No info on the toilet or name but it’s a 2 piece unit with 2 seals-porcelain top joins to bottom-1 seal there and 1 at the floor. Toilet is very tightly bolted to the floor. Help!
Thanks, guys!
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Did you use vinegar to flush the water heater tank? Also, you might try getting water from another source to fill your water tank. Often a 'sulfur' smell is the result of excess iron in the water. You may want to take a sample of the water to a local water filter store and have it tested and see what filter you could add to make the water more agreeable.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sulphur odor in the water is the result of naturally occurring water bacteria that use iron rich water for energy. The byproduct of their metabolism is iron sulfide which gives you the odor. The way to fix this is sanitize your water system with bleach. Make sure you drain the water heater and refill it with bleach treated water from your tank. Let it sit a couple of hours, flush with fresh water, and the smell will be gone.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you know if your water heater has an anode rod? My understanding is that some do, and some don't. I had a similar experience with a water heater in my house, so I don't know if this applies to an RV water heater or not. The anode rod in my home water heater deteriorated, causing the most awful sulphur smell anyone could imagine. This was a new water heater, and the manufacturer told me that the problem was my well water, and that the "fix" was to buy an anode rod designed for harder water. My "fix" was to return the water heater where I bought it and purchase a the same brand of water heater that I had replaced after many years of service. I've now had that water heater for about 15 years with no problems. If your water heater has an anode rod, it may be time for a replacement rod.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
Do you know if your water heater has an anode rod? My understanding is that some do, and some don't. I had a similar experience with a water heater in my house, so I don't know if this applies to an RV water heater or not. The anode rod in my home water heater deteriorated, causing the most awful sulphur smell anyone could imagine. This was a new water heater, and the manufacturer told me that the problem was my well water, and that the "fix" was to buy an anode rod designed for harder water. My "fix" was to return the water heater where I bought it and purchase a the same brand of water heater that I had replaced after many years of service. I've now had that water heater for about 15 years with no problems. If your water heater has an anode rod, it may be time for a replacement rod.
Suburban WH have anodes because the tank is steel. Atwood WH have aluminum tanks and have no anodes unless mistakenly added by a previous owner.

I think luvlabs is correct, the sulfur dioxide is caused by iron-rich water that supports bacteria that create the sulfur smell. My dad had this issue for 20 years in his Eastern Shore MD home, I'm very familiar with it. I'd try his suggestion first.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
FIREST, FIREST, FIREST. Smell the water at the campground faucet. If it smells of sulfur there is nothing you can do but purge the water system at the next campground.

Now you did say ONLY the hot water smells, so….

FIRST turn off BOTH gas and electric heaters on the water heater tank.

Turn off the water pump. Remove the connection to city water. Turn on one hot water faucet and leave it on.

Open outside water heater bay door. Remove the nut (plug) at the base of the water heater. Drain the tank. Take a basting bulb from the kitchen and squirt bleach several or more times into the hole in the bottom of the heater you just created.

Put plug back in tight. You will want to inspect the bay for leaks later before you close the bay door.

Connect (if using) campground water as usual. Or turn on the water pump. When you get a regular flow (no spitting) of water out of that one faucet immediately turn it off. Do nothing with the hot water side of the system for 24 hours. Then turn on the gas heater. Wait ten minutes and see if you have warmish water.

At this point you should smell bleach not sulfur from the hot water. Most water heater tanks are six gallons. So if you run say 12 gallons through the hot water system most of the bleach smell will almost go away. It will go away with more use. Think you are really clean after a shower while the smell lingers.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

Sulphur Smell

Thank you for great answers! The smell is finally gone! The chlorine works! I think the residual antifreeze and heating was the culprit. Thank you again for your thorough review of options!
Pete
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, tank