Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Super C For Traveling - Not Camping?

Short Story-
Do you ever drive your motorhome on vacations where you do not plan on using it to camp or actually sleep in? Just as a big vehicle with a fridge and bathroom. Say you are going to visit a relative 16 hours away? Or would your rather just take the car? We would be pulling our Jeep as a toad so getting around once we got there would not be an issue.

Long Story-
We have 3 kids (3,7,10) and long trips in the suv seems to drive us all crazy. We bought a bus thinking that would be the answer. We put some nice reclining seats, a bathroom (toilet only), and a big screen TV and an Xbox in there. The kids absolutely LOVE it (they want to use it as a daily driver) .... but the wife and I... not so much. We like the idea and the concept but:

- The bus is noisy and impossible to hear what is going on from one row of seats to the next. Let alone all the way up to the drivers area. You spend the whole trip hearing small parts of conversations and yelling back 'whaaat?' The radio in the cab just adds noise so you cant really use that either.
- it is relatively slow. It will officially go 75 but that is at full RPM and the Cat diesel is screaming loud and chugs fuel at that speed
- it is a fairly rough ride. Not as bad as the big yellow school buses but you can certainly feel the potholes.
- We WOULD like to camp in it occasionally too but possibly not as it's primary use.

Soooooo.... we are thinking maybe buy a Super-C as the ultimate multipurpose travel machine?? Looking at something like the Thor 35SB built on the Ford 550 chassis.

With our circumstances would you ever consider driving one of those instead of your SUV, for example, on long trips. Is this a stupid idea?

AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We have a 26 foot class A that once a year take it to visit my daughter in O'Fallon MO. We park it in the driveway, we do sleep in it. I wired a 30 amp plug to hook up the MH. It is an 8 hour trip from our location. We also use it for camping and other trips. We don't pull a toad and so far have not needed one. If it came to a time when I would need a toad we would rent a car for the day.

1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA, OSBI Certified instructor,
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

Not sure you would solve the hearing problem with a Super C. Not because they are noisy. But in original configurations the passengers set a good distance back from the cab.
2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
I'd consider a Class B; much better gas mileage and the same key amenities.
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
I guess I would consider the noisy part solved if I could hear the radio while driving and if the people in the back could carry on a conversation without shouting. I have pretty low standards these days

The problem we had with the class B is that we felt really cramped when we were all in there simulating a camping stay. It would be perfect on the road though.

I don't know. It is such a balancing act between all of the wants. I just don't want to sink a bunch of money into something that we wont use.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
We mainly use our class C for travel, not for camping. I'm not sure that I would recommend a Super C for that though. At least I wouldn't want a Super C for how we use it. I want to be able to park in my relative's driveways. I want to be able to pull into a hotel at night and be able to park in a parking lot. I want to be able to drive it to any grocery store or restaurant easily. I guess what I am saying is that for our usage, I find a small Class C that I can drive anywhere without having to tow was the right answer for us.

The key for you is going to be to find a floor plan that has comfortable seating with seat belts for 5. And personally I would not consider a dinette bench to be comfortable seating for a road trip. Personally I would only consider captains chairs or a couch.
Jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Some rally style driver/co-driver race headsets might solve the sound issues.

I think a motorhome for travel would be a great idea! Kids entertained in back, food easily accessible, bathroom stops are simple, that sounds like a dream to me. I travelled around the country as a child in a 15 passenger extended E350 van, as a family of 7 it was cramped!
1995 Fleetwood Flair 22D
SHO Continen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
What about something like the Thor Ace?
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Super C For Traveling - Not Camping?

We have a Winnebago View and use it to camp, day trips and travel. 2 kids. We will be doing a 2,600 mile trip this summer vacation and have done so for the past 3 summers as well. (Yellowstone/Tetons, North Idaho & Montana, Oregon Coast, Redwoods, Yosemite, Disneyland are some excursion examples, not including day trips) At 24 feet we can get in anywhere including state parks, park most anywhere and the slide makes for a more open feel when parked. The newer ones are 1 foot longer and a bigger slide. We tow a Chevy tracker when we want to do more adventurous exploring (off road, etc.) that we would not take an RV. I looked at a 30 foot class C at the time with 4 rear bunks in the back and strongly considered it due to the "you kids go to sleep, we're staying up for awhile longer" but it had less appeal for day trips and I was scared off due to a roof leak in the used one we looked at. We wanted a couch and dinette layout, not just dinette, which is why we chose ours. Our front seats swivel around as well for added seating when parked.

There are other great models out there in the "under 27 feet" range.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:29 AM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use my C to travel in more than camping. I can comfortably and safely haul my dogs and have my own bed when visiting relatives. I occasionally tow our Tracker but more often than not, i have use of my mom or uncle's car when visiting them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TheDogNPonyShow - Bellingham WA USA
Road Home of BlackFyre Arabians & Belgian Shepherds
"Love what you do, Do what you LOVE!"

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
Thank you for all of the suggestions & recommendations! It looks like Dynamax just came out with a Ram 5500 based Isata that we are going to go look at. The thing I like about it is 1)- It is a Dynamax 2)- There are seatbelts in the bunk area for the kids as well as at the table and on the couch so they won't be stuck sitting side by side. Looks promising.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #12
Did you end up buying the dynamax Isata 5?

If so how do you like it?
Bakeryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #13
We tried but were not able to find one. We decided to buy used instead and ended up with a 2014 Seneca. We absolutely love it!
2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #14
Love my Seneca

You made the right move. I use my super c for quick trips to racing events, longer trips camping in sturgis and it's my home away from home all winter in Arizona ..

edenns is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, travel