Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

Super C Questions

Good Morning,

We have a lot of questions and most have been answered by perusing the web. The questions that remain are below.

1) There are two Jayco 2015 Senaca 37TS' Super Cs for sale at local dealers: La Mesa RV has on with 13k miles for $130k and Camping World has one with 10k miles for $150k. La Mesa's Jayco does not appear to be detailed as well as the Camping World but with only 3k miles difference, I believe detailing and cleaning makes up for the $20k price difference.
  • 1a) Would you agree with that conclusion?
    1b) What is the best way to do a comparison between the two units?
2) Here is one of the Camping World salesman's comments, and I know it is a sales tactic but am interested in other's opinions. " It would be a consideration to purchase today, this month, this year, given you are retiring in 4 yrs. This allows you to buy while working and with the higher working income, vs a retirement income. It allows you to use the RV now & get the bugs worked out on the motor home vs doing so when full-timing. " His comment seems reasonable although I do know it is 100% a sales tactic. Buying fairly soon was not in the cards given the details in the background below but if we did, it would definitely require changing our future plans.
  • 2a) What are your thoughts about his comments?
    2b) I am not sold on either of these two Jaycos as there are many other Super Cs to consider, nor am I sold on a need to buy this year or even before we retire. I am just curious about the salesman's comments and if there is anything to consider in this area of thought.

3) Camping World also has a 2019 Jayco Seneca 37HJ for $190k. The difference, as explained by the salesman, between the 2015 & 2019, besides the $40k & $60k price differences are (2019 listed 1st)
  • 3a) the S2RV chassis which allows for pass-thru storage vs the M2 chassis
    3a1) This does not seem like something to even consider when making a purchase but should it be?
    3b) Sachs shocks vs Bilsteins
    3b1) Again, Sachs vs Bilsteins? Does it make a difference? Can't shocks be changed or is Bilsteins the only shock to work on this motorhome? SHould I care?
    3c) Actual water tank H20 heater vs Tankless H20 heater
    3c1) I think the tankless H20 heater is a better way to go but do any of you have experience with it?
    3d) Full-size, 23 cu.in. Whirlpool electric fridge vs dual-fuel Norcold fridge (can be swapped to the Whirlpool)
    3d1) Any experience with a household fridge?
    3e) 2019 can only be serviced at Jayco-authorized repair shops vs with an extended warranty the used 2015 can be repaired anywhere
    3f) Depreciation is a fact of life but I really dislike that fact. When buying a used car or truck, typically it is best, IMHO, to buy a 5 - 7 year old vehicle to avoid the biggest hit on depreciation. Is it the same for motorhomes?
    3g) Is there any reason to consider a pre-2015 Super C, as compared to a 2015 - newer? If I wait 4 years to buy then then a 2019 could be on the market.

Thanks for your thoughts. As is often asked in forums, below is some background.

AK

Some background:
My DW & I discussed retiring 2 months ago with my employer's HR reps and it is not financially feasible just yet as we leave too much on the table retiring now. As a result, we will retire in 3 yrs, 8 months, and 23 days but who is counting? The plan is to hit the road the moment we leave my work retirement party and become full-timers. It will be just my DW, me, our dog, and 1 - 2 cats. Our DD will join us occasionally but she will be off at college and has already told us we cannot live with her while she is going to college so I doubt she will be travelling with us much. LOL

We have owned a slide-in pickup truck camper and it was ok. We have tent-camped. We have seen our friends 5th wheels & tow behinds on our camping trips, helping them set-up, pack-up, and repair when needed. We owned a 1995 28' Trek Class A motorhome with the 454 in the past and loved it. We sold it to reduce debt, focus on finishing our house so we could sell it, and begin preparations for retirement. The house has now been on the market for 30 days and should be sold by October.

This past weekend we rented a 2019 Ford F250 crew cab 4x4 long-bed pickup for a 18 hour round trip, 3-day weekend trip. It was crowded inside with me, DW, DD, and our dog, plus the cooler, snacks, & pillows. It was then we remembered our Trek and how nice it was to sleep laying down in the bed, get up to go to the bathroom, everything was put away, and it was not crowded. So, we decided to get back into a Class A for full-timing vs a 5th wheel or tow-behind, and then I remembered the Super Cs. I have looked into it and actually like the idea of easier engine maintenance much better than that of a Class A. When the salesman popped the hood of the 2019 Jayco I was like WOW! I could change the belt and do other work on this guy! Because of the above, I put my 2000 Chevy K3500 crew cab 4x4 long-bed truck up for sale. It needs a complete suspension rebuild, with the exception of the engine & transmission and instead of spending the $3k - $8k to fix it up, it is better to sell it since we will not need it in the future to tow. Plus, I am done building my house and will not do the new house so a large truck is not needed
asolarrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

The freightliner chassis can be serviced at any freightliner dealer, not just a “jayco” dealer. 50 grand isn’t worth shocks and a residential fridge, both of which you can change yourself for less than 50 grand.

Also, the 2019 has Jayco’s 2 year warranty which again isn’t worth 50 grand.

I would have any used RV independently inspected before purchasing.

https://nrvia.org/locate/

If you’re going to buy now, while you’re still working, make sure you’re going to use it. Or else it will just sit and rot.

Also, camping world sucks. Don’t let them put you together.

If you used to have a gas class A, and really enjoyed it, $150k can buy a very nice new one. A Newmar Bay Star or Canyon Star would be a very good choice.

Good luck.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

Remember, salesmen are salesmen - they're trained to SELL and they'll say anything to do it. I've bought motorcycles from the same dealer for 50 years, I consider those guys 'friends' but when I'm talking to one of the owners he just can't help himself, he's constantly, accidentally, dropping the terms on me during normal conversations, even after all these years.

I try to boondock as often as possible, an electric only fridge doesn't fit my chosen lifestyle..

I agree, Camping World 'isn't my favorite place'.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The idea to purchase something now for later use, seems to me, to be a less than perfect plan.

There will always be used RV's for sale. There is never such a thing as buy today or you'll never see an opportunity like this again.

There seems to be quite a few that are "real cherries" up for sale as people purchase new rigs and either get sick, die, or decide they don't like RVing- therefore time will allow you to shop for your perfect rig.

The longer you wait, you will be getting a rig closer to the newest developments in the industry.

An RV is not an investment, the value goes down each year.

Save your pennies, buy CD's (since you are talking only a few years) and get your 2.5% interest till you're ready. If you sell your house and plan on living in your rig obviously that's a different situation.

In any rig you will have to put money into it each year, in that way it's like a house. Either you keep it in good shape or you let it fall apart slowly.

Good luck with finding what you need.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #5

As the old saying goes, you know a salesman is lying because their mouth is moving.

Unless you are ready to use the RV now in a serious way, I would wait until you are closer to retirement. As someone already said, there are always used RV’s for sale. So many have been sold in the past 10 years, I would expect a flood of units in 4 yrs.

I retired 5/1/2017 and we bought our RV 5/6/2017. Probably camped 100 nights since.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #6

[Moderator edit]

[moderator edit]
Milkman55, NYBobbo, Cide, Massparanoia, thank you for taking the time to reply. Your thoughts and comments proved that my DW and I are on the right path. We are curious about the poor reputation of Camping World and would appreciate some background. I believe many dealers have both good and bad stories, not just Camping World. We spoke today to a couple from Oregon who full-time in their Class A and they had nothing but good things to say about Camping World. It has always been a decent place to us but I would expect that since we have only been in shopping at their store or to inquire about their RVs. In fact, we had gone there before we decided to buy our Trek from a private owner (hey, isn't that what that goofball said to do in the good part of his post??). We took Amtrak out to Los Angeles and drove it home to Albuquerque, after about 6 - 8 months of research.

We both drove the 2015 Seneca Super C today and we did like it. It went up & down the hills on I-40 west of Albuquerque without any issues. I had the cruise set at 74 mph and I think going downhill it crept up to just about 77 mph, and going up the hills it slowed down to about 68 mph. My DW actually was not using the cruise for part of the time she was driving and got up to about 80 mph before both the salesman and I told her to look at her speed. She was surprised and said she did not know she was going that fast. She thought it was better handling than the 1995 Trek and did not notice any major buffeting when passing a semi or when a semi passed us. So, I believe we are sold on the Super C and now will continue to read, research, and watch so when the right one comes along, we'll know it and can make the quick decision. People sometimes think I am nuts when I buy something as they say things like "You made the decision to buy that in less than 3 minutes, on the spot, etc"? Yep, we did, but they do not know the hours of research we have already done to prepare ourselves for that quick 3 minute decision.

Again, Milkman55, NYBobbo, Cide, Massparanoia,, thank you for the replies.

[mod edit]
Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolarrv View Post
[moderator edit]
Milkman55, NYBobbo, Cide, Massparanoia, thank you for taking the time to reply. Your thoughts and comments proved that my DW and I are on the right path. We are curious about the poor reputation of Camping World and would appreciate some background. I believe many dealers have both good and bad stories, not just Camping World. We spoke today to a couple from Oregon who full-time in their Class A and they had nothing but good things to say about Camping World. It has always been a decent place to us but I would expect that since we have only been in shopping at their store or to inquire about their RVs. In fact, we had gone there before we decided to buy our Trek from a private owner (hey, isn't that what that goofball said to do in the good part of his post??). We took Amtrak out to Los Angeles and drove it home to Albuquerque, after about 6 - 8 months of research.

We both drove the 2015 Seneca Super C today and we did like it. It went up & down the hills on I-40 west of Albuquerque without any issues. I had the cruise set at 74 mph and I think going downhill it crept up to just about 77 mph, and going up the hills it slowed down to about 68 mph. My DW actually was not using the cruise for part of the time she was driving and got up to about 80 mph before both the salesman and I told her to look at her speed. She was surprised and said she did not know she was going that fast. She thought it was better handling than the 1995 Trek and did not notice any major buffeting when passing a semi or when a semi passed us. So, I believe we are sold on the Super C and now will continue to read, research, and watch so when the right one comes along, we'll know it and can make the quick decision. People sometimes think I am nuts when I buy something as they say things like "You made the decision to buy that in less than 3 minutes, on the spot, etc"? Yep, we did, but they do not know the hours of research we have already done to prepare ourselves for that quick 3 minute decision.

Again, Milkman55, NYBobbo, Cide, Massparanoia,, thank you for the replies.

[mod edit]
I think camping world is like Thor. They sell the most units, so they get the most feedback, both positive and negative. I think the owner is a scumbag though, he was indicted for something, I can’t remember what but the deposition videos are on YouTube.

Anyway, the only Newmar dealer close to me is a camping world. It’s about 20 miles away. My Newmar has needed service twice and I drove it 700 miles to Indiana if that tells you anything.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #8

Also check this out. Starts at about the 19 minute mark.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #9

Massparanoia, The Newmar Super Star is very nice but appears to be out of my price range given it will be $350k - $425k, especially given the fact it will depreciate.

I scanned many articles about the Camping World owner and he definitely is not a nice guy. Thankfully I do not have a CW membership nor have I bought there. But, they do have a good selection of RVs!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW - Camping World is now a publicly traded corporation listed under the symbol- CWH

you too can be part owner... lol
Old 05-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
FWIW - Camping World is now a publicly traded corporation listed under the symbol- CWH

you too can be part owner... lol
No thanks - CW got into my shorts once - never agin! Camping World is the last place i would ever consider to purchase and then have a RV worked on. Lot of other places that are much better than CW.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

I liked the Seneca also. In my state, the Seneca requires a Class B drivers license. Even through I have one, my wife or friends do not.

Don't know if that's a problem for you or not but thought I would mention it as I'm sure the salemen won't.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Love our 2019 Seneca

1. We are using it now. And purchased now because of that. The changes made in 18.5 are what we wanted. Decent Pamona deal maybe could have done better but water under the bridge. If I were not going to be using it now I would have waited maybe... but I have a dining area that was done for me like a Class A with table and credenza. I did not want a booth. I have no regrets. We of course are going thru the brand new warranty fit and finish pains but knew it was coming and have been fine with it.

2. After what I have learned about the difference of the S2 Freighliner chassis vs before I know I prefer S2.

3. Have yet to have any challenges with our 10 gal hot water tank. Initially I only wanted tankless. With the Oxygenics (sp) shower head have plenty of pressure and no issues with running out of hot water.

4. love the 37K floor plan it is great for us. Living space is separated and extra half bath is AWESOME. Love the single huge pantry over multiple smaller area storage.

5. Love driving it, but learn about exhaust brakes.

6. My experience with Jayco has been good.

7. The 2020 just came out with huge window over the front bed cap. Probably adds awesome light and a view when you are standing up but no opening windows for fresh cross breeze in cap

8. Anywhere authorized to work on Freighliner is where you have truck not the house worked on for warranty work. One of the benefits over a Class A.
RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #14

Please post pictures. Also the pass through storage is very helpful. Ours is mostly full all the time.