Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Surge Guard

What is everyone's experience with a surge guard? Is it a must have or are they a waste of money?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The first time you pull into a RV park with miss wired pedestal. You will wish you would have spent the money and saved yourself thousands in repairs and or replacements.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

Or watch your unit go up in flames. They are an absolute must.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #4

Which ones do you recommend? I see quite a bit of bad reviews on most.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a TRC Surge Guard hard wired into my coach here is their web site: Surge Guard RV Power Protection | Technology Research, LLC You can buy them at many RV parts suppliers including Camping World and Amazon.com They also have non-hardwired ones but many worry that they might be stolen as they are outside and visible at your power pedestal.

They cost about $ 300 but IMO they protect a very valuable investment and cut the risk of a trip being ruined by bad AC power and are worth it. It has saved me from possible damage 4 times in 2 years, in particular on trips to Canada / Alaska and Mexico where it found hot-neutral reversed mis-wired pedestals, and outlets with high voltage and low voltage that would have had potential to damage the AC to DC converter, Microwave, AC, TV, and the hot water heater and refrigerator heating elements.

It also has a 120 second delay which ensures if power opens up and then comes back, that your AC will stay off for at least 120 seconds which ensures that the AC has a chance to recycle so the compressor motor does not get damaged.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:39 AM   #6

KZ RV Club
Surge Guard

I use the PT30C portable. Different brand but same features and price.

Cheap insurance in my book. Same as putting battery pack/surge guards on our flat screens and computer gear at home. Why risk thousands of dollars worth of electronics for 300 measly bucks. I'm betting most folk staring at fried RV electronics from a lightning strike or mis-wired pedestal in a funky campground would be willing to write a check for that $300 to make the damage go away.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ems-pt30c/c501

Gump

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisingCajun View Post
Which ones do you recommend? I see quite a bit of bad reviews on most.
If you look at the bottom of the page you're reading right now there is a "Similar Threads" section with are links to other threads on these devices. Some of the threads may contain recommendations.

I made a recommendation and a second comment in this iRV2 thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/looki...or-262940.html

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be purchasing a Progressive Hardwired version. I'm already getting a bit uneasy about cutting my power cord but I will just have to get over it. haha.
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

Progressive hardwired 30 is what I've got in my Lexi. Cheap insurance. Progressive is super easy to deal with, lifetime warranty, and tech advice always available,
Check Tweetys RV Parts. Right now their about the cheapest around, even with shipping, even cheaper than Amazon.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I have a Progressive Dynamics unit. Used it for three years without a problem. On the 4th of July my PD unit tripped off twice due to low voltage. It was very hot and everyone was running air conditioners. The park power system just couldn't handle the demand. I switched over to generator for several hours until temps dropped and the park voltage was above 110 volts. It was running 104-108 most of the day. It was worth the expense of having an automatic power monitor that protected my air conditioners from a low voltage situation.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive Industries-bought at RV Upgrades-check the Price!

You do not need a remote readout-there is a readout on the Unit itself

Yes-it is a Need To Have item- I was out 60 days this summer-the unit kicked off 3 times in 60 days, because or bad wiring & Low voltage at campgrounds.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be purchasing a Progressive Hardwired version. I'm already getting a bit uneasy about cutting my power cord but I will just have to get over it. haha.
I did not cut my wire! I put the Surge guard where the junction box was-it fit just fine-yours should too!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #13

Built-in vs. Remote Displays for PI EMSes

Below is part of a comment I made on the other thread, concerning built-in vs. remote display PI EMSes. While the built-in display model is less expensive, it does have the drawback stated. Sometimes the EMS can be mounted where it's convenient to read a built-in display, but other times (as in my coach) it's easier to bury the box near the electrical entrance and have the display elsewhere.

As always, "Your mileage may vary."

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Note that the Progressive Industries hard-wired "L" models (EMS-LCHW30 and EMS-LCHW50) have a built-in display and appear not to allow you to add a remote later. On our motorhome the EMS and its display had to be distant from one another in order to read the display for troubleshooting. That would have ruled out the "L" models, if they had been available at the time.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What is everyone's experience with a surge guard? Is it a must have or are they a waste of money?

Normally they just sit there and display voltage and current.
But what happens if you have a "power Flicker"?

This is where the lights go out and almost immed come back on.. Well if your air conditioner is conditioning then the compressor stops and tries to re-start with a full head of pressure.. NOT GOOD, it stalls and overheats and times out. This damages it over time and at $1,000 (rounded) per replacement.. That is EXPENSIVE.

Also when power comes back and everybody's compressors and such are kicking back in you really don't want to see how that can spike the power levels, voltages go crazy for a very short period of time.. This near 3 minute hold off. lets it settle down to normal levels.

The SURGE GUARD brand holds the power off for nearly 3 minutes to allow the compressor to start normally.. The Progressive Industries models can be set that way (Default is 15 seconds).

They also shut you down if power "Browns out" (Voltage drops below say 105 or 109) This too is damaging to the air conditioner (And possibly other stuff) but the surge guard protects you

And high voltage

And high/low frequency. All of which are damaging .

Tags
surge guard